Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

In need of better Concentration

Hey MMO

I got some bad news, I have to finish a VERY important assignment for tomorrow and due to slacking, I have to write it through tonight, however, I'm afraid of losing focus and my severe lack of concentration. So here is my question: How do I keep focus through the night? What do you do when you have to focus intensively on something?

Please do NOT reply if you do not have anything constructive to add

Deleted
    Lots of apples, water and go for a break every hour for five minutes, get up and have a walk around or something.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quiet music, tea (green preferred), and noodles (seriously). You need to want to focus on your said task. Find a quiet place and lock yourself in. Don't come out until it's done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durh View Post
    Hey MMO

I got some bad news, I have to finish a VERY important assignment for tomorrow and due to slacking, I have to write it through tonight, however, I'm afraid of losing focus and my severe lack of concentration. So here is my question: How do I keep focus through the night? What do you do when you have to focus intensively on something?

I used to just think really hard about the assignment, write out an outline, start to write, get frustrated and tired, go to bed really early, wake up early and pound out 15 pages in an hour or two, because the sleep ordered my thoughts.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

You pull the plug on the internet. (not kidding)
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Get a second monitor and start playing sitcoms while you work on your assignment on the main display.

I find this keeps me focused on the task at hand since my wandering mind is held at bay by sitcoms I've watched a dozen times already, so I stay on whatever I'm doing instead of jumping on some random forums. Might just be me though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    You pull the plug on the internet. (not kidding)
    need internet for my data and material

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by katji View Post
    Quiet music, tea (green preferred), and noodles (seriously). You need to want to focus on your said task. Find a quiet place and lock yourself in. Don't come out until it's done.
    got a play list?

10+ Year Old Account
    I find Simon and Garfunkel to be soothing and cerebral enough to be good for writing.

need internet for my data and material
    In that case, you find all the sites that have the information you believe you'll need, and then let the pages load, and then shut off the internet. This forces you to focus (unless you start playing some offline game! lol)
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I find Simon and Garfunkel to be soothing and cerebral enough to be good for writing.
    first thing that happens is i recognize sound of silence and now i'm thinking of watchmen

10+ Year Old Account
    first thing that happens is i recognize sound of silence and now i'm thinking of watchmen
    Billy Joel used to work well for me too, though he's a bit more uptempo. Radiohead works.

Deleted
    Sigur Ros.

Hey MMO

YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL. YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL.

Seriously, panic is the best motivator for me. Try to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I used to just think really hard about the assignment, write out an outline, start to write, get frustrated and tired, go to bed really early, wake up early and pound out 15 pages in an hour or two, because the sleep ordered my thoughts.
    I think something along these lines would work best. Once you become tired and sleep deprived your writing will be crap. So get your thoughts in order, sleep on it, bang it out tomorrow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    I think something along these lines would work best. Once you become tired and sleep deprived your writing will be crap. So get your thoughts in order, sleep on it, bang it out tomorrow.
    I can't afford to take that risk

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL. YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL.

Seriously, panic is the best motivator for me. Try to panic.
    why you...!

caffeine, in coffee or tea form, or half a red bull, every 2 hours

indulge any food desires you might have, especially candy, make sure you are eating at least every half an hour

you want to keep your caffeine and sugar high and avoid crashing

this is quite bad for you and you will no doubt feel quite sick the next day... good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alxdude View Post
    caffeine, in coffee or tea form, or half a red bull, every 2 hours

indulge any food desires you might have, especially candy, make sure you are eating at least every half an hour

you want to keep your caffeine and sugar high and avoid crashing

this is quite bad for you and you will no doubt feel quite sick the next day... good luck
    A little caffeine is good. If I have too much, it kills my concentration. Candy was always good for me though, as I found grazing on something, keeping my mouth occupied, always helped me concentrate.

Deleted
    got like 100 packs of mentos lying around, will do

Hey MMO

you're not even focused on it right now. at some point in your life YOU have to decide to get shit done. there is no magic cure. you gotta do it because you have to do it and if that isn't enough, you're simply not mature enough to handle responsibility

just do it, it's literally that simple.

i guarantee you the people who are trudging through life aren't doing it because it's fun, they just don't have any choice other than death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you're not even focused on it right now. at some point in your life YOU have to decide to get shit done. there is no magic cure. you gotta do it because you have to do it and if that isn't enough, you're simply not mature enough to handle responsibility

just do it, it's literally that simple.

i guarantee you the people who are trudging through life aren't doing it because it's fun, they just don't have any choice other than death
    ye, but right now I have need to get shit done, I don't have time to go through that realization