Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Yeah i think those small houses are exactly the houses that pay for these editorials, the big houses with the bestsellers dont need to do that as they sell millions of copies anyway. Thinking otherwise is ignorant (see what i did there? passing that ball back ).
    You do realize that...

1. You don't pay for editorials. Not directly at least. You pay for PR and shit, but you don't directly pay for an article. You can do guest editorials at some places, but they usually clearly label it if it's written by someone like a developer.

2. You're arguing contrary to...every argument about gaming news sites being paid off...ever. Every argument is that the big dogs threaten to pull ad money if they get bad reviews or throw more ad money/free stuff at the site to get better treatment.

I'm sorry, but you're monumentally off target here. Monumentally. Like, I could park a few aircraft carriers between reality, and what you're saying.

Deleted
    Oh lol you want an unreleased game to be on the list of the best game 2012 aka Bioshock infinite? The mind boggles!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wait a second.

You are really trying to say that the development houses of Minority, Runic, Arkane Fairaxis are paying off Time Magazine?

But these highly commercial games made by some of the biggest and wealthiest devs in the industry wouldn't be "paid" for; &/or more deserving via commercial success in a EOY editorial?

Stating your opinion is fine. However, it is fully possible for people to state ignorant or asinine opinions as above.

Should be careful about the line you are towing here between raw ignorance and internet trouble-making.

We know his list

05: WoW: Cata
    04: WoW: WOTLK
    03: WOW: MoP
    02: WoW
    01: WoW: BC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    You do realize that...

1. You don't pay for editorials. Not directly at least. You pay for PR and shit, but you don't directly pay for an article. You can do guest editorials at some places, but they usually clearly label it if it's written by someone like a developer.

2. You're arguing contrary to...every argument about gaming news sites being paid off...ever. Every argument is that the big dogs threaten to pull ad money if they get bad reviews or throw more ad money/free stuff at the site to get better treatment.

I'm sorry, but you're monumentally off target here. Monumentally. Like, I could park a few aircraft carriers between reality, and what you're saying.
    Actually, NCsoft/Arenanet is known exactly for this type of behaviour (paying sites to write good stuff and hype up their games), where do you think all the shit about GW2 being the next coming of the gaming-age came from?
    But believe what you want to believe really.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    We know his list

05: WoW: Cata
    04: WoW: WOTLK
    03: WOW: MoP
    02: WoW
    01: WoW: BC
    Yeah because all of those games came out in 2012.... besides, you couldve looked at my signature for 1 second and realized i ain't even playing wow at the moment.

Bioshock infinite
    I think you blew your credibility with this. I mean the rest of your comments are just preference but really, stating a game that won't be released until March of 2013 should be in a top 10 list of 2012?

Actually, NCsoft/Arenanet is known exactly for this type of behaviour (paying sites to write good stuff and hype up their games), where do you think all the shit about GW2 being the next coming of the gaming-age came from?
    I can tell you from first hand experience that no, no they don't do this. Both from the gaming site, and gaming developer side, and for NCsoft specifically. This kind of behavior happens once in a blue moon. Please tell me about the times you have 100% proof that NCsoft bought reviews. I'm all ears.

All the shit about GW2 being next gen comes from...PR/Marketing! That and the fact that the game is quite a good game and reviewed well all around.

So...yeah...about that...

I am totally certain a developer with less than 30 employees, selling their game for $20 [NON-SALE] are in the league of paying off Time Magazine for the #10 spot on an EOY Video Game list.

This is a case of internet trouble making and blank ignorance. Nothing more can come of arguing with low opinion.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    The only place I read bad things about GW2 is on this forum, mmo-champion. Its a shame that this forum breeds nothing but wow love, and hate for anything else.

As a current wow AND gw2 player, I have to say that gw2 is very different from wow in many, many ways. For me, it was absolutely one of the best games of the year, and no wonder it keeps showing up on these lists.

As a casual player, no raiding at end game means nothing to me. WoW could have all raiding removed and it wouldn't change anything for me. GW2 provides the kind of gameplay that wow really does not deliver...large group events that don't require a bunch of coordination and grouping, excellent exploration and rewards for doing so, great graphics and scenery, and all at any pace you want to play it at...no feeling of having to play like in most mmo's where if you don't log in for a few days you feel like you've lost something.

I don't see myself NOT logging into gw2 multiple times a week any time in the near future, and outside of mmo-champ where every game that's not wow gets shit talked to smithereens, everyone else I know enjoys it too.
    Oh man! Very well said and it hit the nail right on the head for me when it comes to comparing WoW to GW2. I continue to play WoW mainly because I have over the years developed several nice friends I play with, but it is still the truth, GW2 has some features in the game which is superior to how Blizz handles them.

LolBioshock. Surprised you didn't put episode3 in there.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    The only place I read bad things about GW2 is on this forum, mmo-champion. Its a shame that this forum breeds nothing but wow love, and hate for anything else.
    Rofl don't think we're reading the same forums then.

10+ Year Old Account
    .....aaaaaand Ten Ton Hammer weighs in with GW2 as Best MMO of the Year!

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/246959/page/8
    Valar morghulis

Heh. Ten Ton hammer gave The Secret World it's "Best RPG of 2012" honor.

I wouldn't disagree with TSW being a better RPG than GW2 either. If only TSW had the budget and marketing of Guild Wars 2. But alas, it did not.

Admittedly I am biased as the fantasy genre [as a whole] doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as being a secret agent in modern day Transylvania hunting down Cthulhu.

That said it's gonna be real interesting to see future MMOs iterate off GW2.

I can agree with TSW being a better RPG (although the game didn't quite click with me).

The MMO genre is not particularly good, yea. Even like the best MMOs are kinda terrible. Like the genre necessitates a lot of bad game design to "work" that is kinda not super awesome.

MMOs are just like the worst genre for presenting any type of gameplay model.

Almost everything is better serviced in another genre. MMOs tend be a kind of catch-all of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I still maintain my stance that MMO's in general - and not just GW2 - get WAY too much credit for simply being "big".

Every time I hear an MMO say they added 200 new quests, I just cringe. When I hear about 100 new items, I just shake my head.

Somehow we - gamers and reviewers - give them so much credit for copy-pasting the same stuff over and over. All in all I never have really thought that MMO's are very good games, despite the fact that it's the only genre I play anymore, it seems. =D
    It's funny what we can justify for our own entertainment, isn't it?

I mean, I paid sub-fee's for games that I was barely playing, but can't justify an XBox live account for a fraction of the price. I forget where I said it, may have been in a TOR thread when someone was talking about how WoW had so much more stuff. "Yeah, I've traveled to different planes of existence and killed Boars of a different color."

I like GW2's world, it's fun to wander around in. The system works well enough for my tastes. But the real thing with an MMO is that even copy-pasting stuff, they just can't produce content as fast as folks can consume it. There is always an end, a shelf where you have nothing to do. "Well, we finished the raid, then we kept doing it to get gear that we don't need except to say we got it now..."

I mean, look at the other video game franchises, you play one, wait a year or so to play another. Most FPS's are 10-20 hours of story play...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Rankings are always usually a load of rubbish, but this one especially. A non gaming magazine, and a "best of 2012" games dont work like that.

You cant have an overall winner, you need to seperate it into genres.

In reality GW2 might win game of the year in the MMO department.

If you want an example imagine if angry birds won this contest, how rediculous would that be?
    As I've stated about a hundred times this thread, Matt Peckham is a spectacular journalist and is well respected amongst gaming journalists. He knows his stuff, even if he does write for a non-gaming publication, and his opinion is pretty well respected.

It's like Forbes. Outside of Polygon (who are the most arrogant guys in the industry), they have have the best gaming journalism I've found on the interwebs. I'm being serious too, their coverage of events and their in-depth articles is impressive and they have a number of very astute writers.

If Angry Birds won GotY, and the author provided some compelling reasons, then more power to it. But it hasn't. GW2 on the other hand, has made it into most publications nominees lists for general gaming, and pretty much every MMO specific list (winning many of them). So this is pretty in-line with the majority opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa dang, another award. IGN People's Choice Game of the Year.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_Game
    Valar morghulis

I am cool with TSW getting some appreciation. Some features of the game are superb.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

I should get Torchlight 2

Deleted
    [Citation needed]