Page 1 of 3
LastLast

DREADFUL GW2 fps with brand new GTX 690

Just got my GTX 690 in tonight, and wow. Zero performance gain. My GTX 670 had better performance for christ sakes.

In LA I’m getting 35fps, and that’s with like no one around.

In Hoelbrak(the ghost town) I average 85-90fps, and whenever I turn my camera the fps lowers down to 60 or less and makes it look choppy.

My drivers are up to date(310.70) and my PSU is more than enough(Seasonic 850W).
    This is also paired with a 4.5Ghz 2500k .

What’s the deal here?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Just got my GTX 690 in tonight, and wow. Zero performance gain. My GTX 670 had better performance for christ sakes.

In Hoelbrak(the ghost town) I average 85-90fps, and whenever I turn my camera the fps lowers down to 60 or less and makes it look choppy.

My drivers are up to date(310.70) and my PSU is more than enough(Seasonic 850W).

What’s the deal here?
    You are spoiled. Sorry for your parents or if you made the money yourself, sorry for yourself. You had a GPU that maxed WoW without problems, you just upgraded it to max it even more, but there's no more to max.

It's the CPU that matters, you should've bought a i7 3960x with the money and overclocked that chip to 4,2-4,3 and seen performance increase by a bunch

* User was infracted for this post
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-21 at 11:02 AM.

What’s the deal here?
    You didn't do your research.

GW2 is a CPU heavy game. Also, your CPU is most likely the bottle-neck in your rig and can't use the 690 to it's full potential.

EDIT: Just in case, don't misunderstand, a 2500k is a fine CPU for GW2. But 30-40FPS in a crowded LA with settings max is from what I've seen and read pretty common. As always, check your drivers as an outside possibility.
    Last edited by FozzieBlair; 2012-12-21 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    You are spoiled. Sorry for your parents or if you made the money yourself, sorry for yourself. You had a GPU that maxed WoW without problems, you just upgraded it to max it even more, but there's no more to max.

It's the CPU that matters, you should've bought a i7 3960x with the money and overclocked that chip to 4,2-4,3 and seen performance increase by a bunch
    Wrong game.

OT: Shadows often messes with my FPS while turning the camera in GW2.

This might seem like a stupid question (I've never owned a dual GPU), but don't you have to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel? If you have to and you already did that then I have no other ideas. Hopefully Cyan or someone else with a 690 will chime in.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-12-21 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Wrong game.

OT: Shadows often messes with my FPS while turning the camera in GW2.

This might seem like a stupid question (I've never owned a dual GPU), but don't you have to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel? If you have to and you already did that then I have no other ideas. Hopefully Cyan or someone else with a 690 will chime in.
    Yeah the SLI is enabled. It's called multi-gpu though.

Even with everything on low, I'm getting 50 fps in Lions Arch.

Im fairly sure that would not have increased his performance.

Take a look at

Between 2500k @ 4.5Ghz and i7 3960x @ 4.2-4.3Ghz there probably isnt much difference, couple frames in average perhaps.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Well after reading up on this, a bunch of other people are having the same problems with high end machines.

The game is just horribly optimized.

My first question is what do you need a GTX 690 in GW2 for? Absolutely a waste, and in reality the only gaming benefit from 120Hz monitors is fast paced movement, no mmo has the movement of say a racing game, shooting game, and or flight simulator. You just don't need things smoother at faster paces to achieve a beautiful experience like you would in said situations, keep in mind games like GW2 WoW Diablo etc are not really made for SLI or Crossfire, note games that usually do well are optimized FPS games.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well after reading up on this, a bunch of other people are having the same problems with high end machines.

The game is just horribly optimized.
    the game isnt horribly optimized, your 670 was already more then enough for gw2 therefore you dont get a performance increase. you are lacking CPU power, not GPU power.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

You do realize MMO's are CPU heavy and take little of your GPU. Go play Battlefield 3 with your GTX 690 and you'll see a difference. But just to make sure you're getting the right performance from your card, download Heavan Benchmark and post your score.
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-12-21 at 07:57 AM.
    Playing since 2007.

Despite everyone trying to rag on the CPU, it's an i5 2500k, at 4.5ghz. No CPU upgrade is going to see a significant boost in FPS or even a tangible boost in games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Despite everyone trying to rag on the CPU, it's an i5 2500k, at 4.5ghz. No CPU upgrade is going to see a significant boost in FPS or even a tangible boost in games.
    Which means with a little research the OP would have learned that he was already at the point where any upgrade would offer a minimum upgrade and had no need for his shiny new graphics card. Last I played the game it placed quite a load on the CPU and didnt seem to be making my 7970 work for its money ( dont know if a patch since then has addressed this issue), but a quick google search before purchase and the OP would have learned this for himself and saved himself a not insignificant amount of cash.

with a 670 gtx paired with i5 3570k, 8Gb ram i got about 90 fps in LA. 60-70 in WvWvW. Something is very wrong on your machine, perhaps windows or drivers that are fucking up.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Which means with a little research the OP would have learned that he was already at the point where any upgrade would offer a minimum upgrade and had no need for his shiny new graphics card. Last I played the game it placed quite a load on the CPU and didnt seem to be making my 7970 work for its money ( dont know if a patch since then has addressed this issue), but a quick google search before purchase and the OP would have learned this for himself and saved himself a not insignificant amount of cash.
    Again, no. The 690 being a pair of SLI 680 chips should have reaped a significant speed increase. As the OP stated, GW2 is clearly not optimised to benefit from SLI. The majority of other games out there do and will see significant speed increases switching from a single card to SLI setup.

Deleted

* User was infracted for this post
    Honestly the most retarded answer in history, ever.

Let me get infracted, what this user said is too stupid for human eyes.

* User was infracted
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-21 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Exactly this. People act as if a 2500k is ancient or something, OP could spend 600 dollars on a CPU and get less than 10 FPS gain.

Should have bought a HD7970/50 for performance gain in GW2. For some reason GW2 just plays better with AMD cards.

Deleted
    The GTX 690 is an amazing card. GW2 is the problem.

All MMO's are CPU heavy, because thats whats used to load up the PLAYERS not the GPU, been like that since MMO day 1.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most mmo's are also poorly coded in some areas. No matter what kind of hardware you have there will most likely be a plateau where the poor coding wont allow your system to utilize it's full potential.