Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - A huge disappointment

Anyone else out there besides me who thinks they completely mutilated the Paper Mario franchise? After the 3rd installment of Super Paper Mario (which wasn't that bad of a game, just not what we expected from the PM series), I can't believe they broke the game completely to the point where it's so hard to have fun with it.

Pros
    - The humor and art style is still the same and what we've known and love since the first on N64
    - The graphics are very good and even the 3D in a papery game works very well (though I've never been one to care for graphics)
    - The sound effects and music are all great; the battle theme is among my favorite battle themes of all time. It's really catchy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-pZuITaGiU if you haven't heard it yet) It also distorts the song if you're low on health, something I've enjoyed throughout my time with video games (though personally, it still sounds too happy)
    - Finding HP-UP collectables are fun and an interesting way to increase your HP in an RPG (similar to that of Zelda and finding Heart Pieces/Containers). It also feels good to finally find some sort of optional collectable/power up (as it's the ONLY one of its kind in this game...)
    - Some of the stickers do some really cool effects
    - I like how some of the stickers are holographic on the touch screen and flash when you turn your 3DS towards/away from you (you can tell I'm really grasping at things to say that are positive about this game)

Cons
    - All incentive to battle has been completely eliminated. There are no level ups (incentive) and... v
    - All stickers (your only method of attacking) are ONE TIME USE. This further bolsters the point that there's no incentive to battle.
    - Both of the above two points combined completely break the game's core mechanics. You really can't have both in one game or it breaks everything. If they kept normal attacks like in the original PM games, then I would find myself battling more. If they kept level ups, I'd obviously battle to level up, but without EITHER, I find myself running from 95% of battles because there's no point. The game is broken, plain and simple.
    - No customization outside of stickers. This means no partners, badges/equipment, level ups (and choosing which stat as a result of leveling up), or anything.
    - No upgrades to your attacks, boots, or hammer. Your damage automatically goes up every time you beat a World boss, and you're given a new sticker page that holds up to 15 additional 1x1 stickers.
    - Some stickers take up ridiculous amounts of space in your sticker album.
    - Some puzzles are so cryptic that you'll never figure them out without a walkthrough. (Who ever heard of sucking up a whirlwind of sand with a vacuum?)
    - Having to paperize every area to make sure you didn't miss something is annoying when it takes 3 seconds to go in, and 3 seconds to go out every time (it's annoyance factor is on the same level as Castlevania II's Day/Night transition. It's THAT bad)
    - Bosses are ridiculously easy if you know what thing sticker to use on them. Otherwise, they're ridiculously difficult!
    - Running out of stickers and forcing you to flee from a battle (especially a boss battle) is the most stupid game mechanic I've ever heard of. Also, running from a BOSS fight? I've never heard of something so ridiculous. Know any other game where you can run from a boss? No? Oh, that's right, because there aren't any to do something so stupid.
    - You'll find yourself sitting on your flashy or really "high-level" stickers because you're afraid you'll need them in the future.
    - Coins have little to no use because every thing sticker can be obtained at its original point where you found it after you use it.
    - Timed hits have no tutorial and are very confusing sometimes; Jump stickers are easy while Hammer stickers are hard. Also, Thing stickers are next to impossible to figure out your first time.
    - The story is crap. It's just garbage. It also feels rushed once you start the game (hell the start is roughly 30s long) and not really mentioned again outside of Kersti (your annoying sidekick who is also a floating crown sticker) reminding you over and over to get the Royal Stickers)

I mean just look at this long list of cons!

The saddest part was buying the 3DS originally for the sole purpose to play this game and then being so disappointed that you continue to regret ever buying the system. But, that's just borderline off-topic.

Anyone else share my view on this what-could-have-been-amazing-yet-turned-out-AWFUL game?
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-11-25 at 04:07 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

You nailed all the flaws with the game. Glad someone finally agrees with me. Hopefully we can expect a GOOD PM game for the wii u.

I registered here just to say that, lol.

I have to say, I am really glad I stumbled upon your post here. I have been a huge fan of the Paper Mario franchise every since the original Paper Mario for the N64 and have been seeing more and more that this one honestly doesn't seem to be that great at all. I have been thinking it over and over whether to buy the game or not and I am really starting to think about not even bothering now more than ever (which sucks cause I still want to try it due to pure curiosity and how I loved the other Paper Mario games.)

Seems that most people agree that the game has far more cons than pros when it comes to this game. I really REALLY hope they go back to the way the made the Thousand Year Door (my favorite on of the series) when the go to make one for the Wii U, which I hope they do, and I hope they do it right.

I totally agree. I honestly dread the New Super Mario Bros format, and that's what this game is. I like the exploration in previous games, not this one. I also think that stickers are kinda of terrible. Single use is very bad. Partners. I'm so tired of not having partners. Next game needs to return to TTYD / Paper Mario style. We need the original Paper Mario AND Thousand Year Door on the Eshop.

Completely agree, although, the game didn't really have much of the humor from the last games. It tried at the beginning, but then you never find new toads, since they are the only characters aside from that awfully done Wiggler who just has to be in every mario game now. Hell, the only likable character is the toad that you run into once in a while that speaks cryptically(he's in more zones, but can only remember him in the first part of the sandstorm level). We need partners again, even if it's just Bowser, Peach, and Luigi coupled with the pixl things like they did in Super Paper Mario.

Don't forget that if you want to learn about how to fight a boss, you have to die once for Kersti to tell you in an extremely vague way, then once again to make a thing sticker out of it. Even if you don't flee, you can win any non-boss battle in at most two turns. Wasting stickers on fights doesn't matter anyway since your book will be overflowing with them.

One of the most depressing parts is that after all the effort they put into making Super Paper Mario's story as amazing as it was, this game might as well not even have one.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-11-27 at 05:00 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh I don't even have the money to afford the consoles for these games but it still makes me a sad panda to hear when a good franchise just throws on a sequel. I can't imagine them NOT making a paper mario game for the Wii U, hopefully it goes well. As for me, I'm going to go take a look at the condition of my gamecube...
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

I'm still getting it for Christmas, however I'm not as excited as I was after first hearing about the game. I wish they would just go back to the formula the first two games had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valrax View Post
    I have to say, I am really glad I stumbled upon your post here. I have been a huge fan of the Paper Mario franchise every since the original Paper Mario for the N64 and have been seeing more and more that this one honestly doesn't seem to be that great at all. I have been thinking it over and over whether to buy the game or not and I am really starting to think about not even bothering now more than ever (which sucks cause I still want to try it due to pure curiosity and how I loved the other Paper Mario games.)

Seems that most people agree that the game has far more cons than pros when it comes to this game. I really REALLY hope they go back to the way the made the Thousand Year Door (my favorite on of the series) when the go to make one for the Wii U, which I hope they do, and I hope they do it right.
    The paper mario game for the wii was also solid, easy though but I agree, I wish they could go back to the thousand year door. That game was just fantastic! Every chapter was actually pretty difficult. It would take a long time to even clear one of the challenges. Oh man! I swear, I remember chapter 3 in thousand year door and it still blew my mind on how good this stuff was.

They shouldn't try to fix a formula that isn't broken. I'll still play the game, but man, I'm really disappointed that they took this route. Paper Mario and TTYD were both amazing games (never got around to beating Super Paper Mario but it was good in its own way). I don't understand why they thought they needed to change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    They shouldn't try to fix a formula that isn't broken. I'll still play the game, but man, I'm really disappointed that they took this route. Paper Mario and TTYD were both amazing games (never got around to beating Super Paper Mario but it was good in its own way). I don't understand why they thought they needed to change it.
    Maybe the same way for New Super Mario Bros 2 for the 3ds. Why else would they fill it with nothing but coins. Greed is good! For this game, it could be that they wanted some collectors kind of thing going on since kids would probably be their main target demographic.

If they just had a decent battle system I would have gotten into this game. Whats the point of turned based game without leveling up? They may as well went with the SPM style if that was the route they wanted to take. Then it would be 2d mario with some light rpg elements.

A Mario rpg game might arive again.
    Im still hoping for a Mario and Luigi 4 rpg for the 3ds.
    Last edited by Mim; 2012-11-27 at 05:46 AM.

I haven't been this disappointed in a game since Silent Hill Downpour. This game really didn't "go back to its roots" it just went back to turn-based combat and took away the fun and added tedious shit and a bland environment with just as much story as Super Mario Bros. I've only beaten the first place, nearly completed the desert, and started the forest and I have like no motivation to play this game.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know. I'm still enjoying the game despite it's (relatively large) flaws. Sure it's not as good as previous games, but it's not BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    The paper mario game for the wii was also solid, easy though but I agree, I wish they could go back to the thousand year door. That game was just fantastic! Every chapter was actually pretty difficult. It would take a long time to even clear one of the challenges. Oh man! I swear, I remember chapter 3 in thousand year door and it still blew my mind on how good this stuff was.
    I know right! I loved how they did everything with Thousand Year Door (third star was my favorite.) Though Super Paper Mario wasn't as good as the first two, it was still a great game. If I said that it wasn't, or even forgot to mention it, I did enjoy it, just not as much as TTYD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valrax View Post
    I know right! I loved how they did everything with Thousand Year Door (third star was my favorite.) Though Super Paper Mario wasn't as good as the first two, it was still a great game. If I said that it wasn't, or even forgot to mention it, I did enjoy it, just not as much as TTYD.
    Shit now I feel like playing super paper mario again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Shit now I feel like playing super paper mario again.
    What's stopping you? I have been contemplating playing all three games again when I just got done doing that 6 months ago. lol

Yes i am playing the game now it's quite boring and tedious -.- I really want a squeal to ttyd it was a very good paper mario game damn Miyamoto he is cockhead for doing this lets murder him

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D4rknova View Post
    Yes i am playing the game now it's quite boring and tedious -.- I really want a squeal to ttyd it was a very good paper mario game damn Miyamoto he is cockhead for doing this lets murder him
    :/ uhm....... I think Miyamoto had very little to do with this game.

Director: Naohiko Aoyama
    Producers: Kensuke Tanabe
    Toshiyuki Nakamura

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...igeru_Miyamoto

Blaming him for the game is kinda stupid.
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-12-21 at 06:48 AM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

dear you have discussed all the flaws in a very good way i have get this but the excitement as for the prior ones was not now hope we will find these better

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    :/ uhm....... I think Miyamoto had very little to do with this game.

Director: Naohiko Aoyama
    Producers: Kensuke Tanabe
    Toshiyuki Nakamura

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...igeru_Miyamoto

Blaming him for the game is kinda stupid.
    Miyamoto basically told the team that story was unnecessary in Mario games, and that they shouldn't use any original characters.
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/12/miy...tch-the-story/

As much as I love the guy, I have to disagree with him on this one.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2012-12-21 at 09:00 PM.