I wish to overclock my older CPU.

CPU in question:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition

[Can't post links lol]

I've been reading around that you can get it up past 3.0Ghz, but I don't want to take it that far. My wish/goal is to get this persons level:

[Can't post links lol x2]

2.7Ghz to be exact. For the past few years I've been using the stock settings because I didn't have much knowledge on overclocking, so naturally I didn't touch it. However, after reading around, apparently if you have the black edition and don't overclock, you're an idiot. So I would like to jump it up from 2.4Ghz to 2.7Ghz to maximize gaming performance and avoid buying a newer model for little while longer.

The only problem is, I haven't exactly found a good guide on how to overclock properly. Can anyone offer some advice on how I go about doing this? In a "...for dummies" fashion. I was hoping there would a 1-2-3 step guide, nothing overly-ridiculous.

My current clocks (via CPU-Z):

Bus Speed : 199.56Mhz
    CPU Multiplier = x12.5
    CPU Speed = 2495Mhz
    CPU VID = 1.3000 V

Runs at 40 degrees (C)

I've got AMD Overdrive on here, I can tweak up the multiplier, but I'm getting all of these warnings, so I'll wait to see if I get any responses before I do anything stupid.
    Last edited by AhhSpiders; 2012-12-21 at 10:36 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boost up the cpu multiplier to x13.5 if u want 2.7Ghz, but aslong your cpu runs under 60C during stress theres no harm done for your cpu.
    If you have aftermarket fan on your cpu i'd set your multiplier atleast to 15 (3.0Ghz) and you should be good. Run Prime 95 to make sure that its stable, and increase your voltage a little if you BSOD(bluescreen).

Also few tips to lower your cpu's heat:
    -Verify that there is unrestricted airflow to and from the CPU's heatsink and fan.
    -Move the computer away from other sources of heat, or to colder place.
    -Clean the CPU's heatsink and fan. Also clean other fans that are usually attached to your computer case.

It's highly recommended to use water cooling when you overclock your CPU, at the very least use cooling paste. Otherwise you should put it in the fridge to keep it from overheating. Though, from 2.5 GHz to 2.7 GHz isn't that big of a leap and should suffice with proper cooling, it's advisable to get cooling paste, water cooling is more suited for a bit bigger increases.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

I messed around on AMD Overdrive and put it up to 13.0 (2.6Ghz)... couple degree increase. Nothing major. Up to 50 when playing Far Cry 3.

I'm going to mess around with it some more, potentially up to 2.8 (which is as far as I feel comfortable going). Should voltage come into play here? Right now it's a 1.3, which is the factory default. How exactly or when exactly should I be seeing results? Do you guys think it's worth OCing the processor from stock 2.4 to 2.6/7?

It's highly recommended to use water cooling when you overclock your CPU, at the very least use cooling paste. Otherwise you should put it in the fridge to keep it from overheating. Though, from 2.5 GHz to 2.7 GHz isn't that big of a leap and should suffice with proper cooling, it's advisable to get cooling paste, water cooling is more suited for a bit bigger increases.
    Well, my tower has good airflow, I can say that for sure. It's the ANTEC 900 model, so it's spacious and has lots of room to throw around that heat, though, I understand what you're saying. If I were to pump it up past 2.7Ghz, I'd definitely need to consider the cooling options.

PS: I have to say, this AMD Overdrive program, it seems so simple, one click and I can adjust the core speeds. I read into other options that seemed much more... complicated, like switching off an option like "cool n quiet", etc. Is that all there is to it?
    Last edited by AhhSpiders; 2012-12-21 at 04:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    People overclock very very well using aftermarket air coolers
    Every CPU should have Thermal Paste regardless of overclocking
    And no do not put anything in the Fridge >.>

Never Overclock using windows software always do it from within your motherboard BIOS there are plenty of overclocking guides on google to get a general idea of what to do.
    Last edited by mmoc8d9a66b0a0; 2012-12-21 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    People overclock very very well using aftermarket air coolers
    Every CPU should have Thermal Paste regardless of overclocking
    And no do not put anything in the Fridge >.>

Never Overclock using windows software always do it from within your motherboard BIOS there are plenty of overclocking guides on google to get a general idea of what to do.
    I used to have a laptop that would overheat during dvd ripping/burning that after I had it in Iraq for a year I didnt really care if anything bad happened to it. So when I would rip/burn Id put it in the fridge to keep it cool lol. good times.

@Op Id watch my temps in prime if you overclock apparently the 9850 had a 61c ceiling that you dont want to go over or you can cause damage or crashing. Even if this is an aftermarket coolet you have thats an older processor before I tried any extreme Overclocking I'd probably pull it off do some major cleaning an reapply new thermal paste. Also try to use your bios to overclock those software packages tend to jam a bunch of extra voltage on that isnt needed and just drives up the heat.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    I used to have a laptop that would overheat during dvd ripping/burning that after I had it in Iraq for a year I didnt really care if anything bad happened to it. So when I would rip/burn Id put it in the fridge to keep it cool lol. good times.

@Op Id watch my temps in prime if you overclock apparently the 9850 had a 61c ceiling that you dont want to go over or you can cause damage or crashing. Even if this is an aftermarket coolet you have thats an older processor before I tried any extreme Overclocking I'd probably pull it off do some major cleaning an reapply new thermal paste. Also try to use your bios to overclock those software packages tend to jam a bunch of extra voltage on that isnt needed and just drives up the heat.
    Server farms are in essence giant fridgerators...so whats the harm? unless you have an extra wet situation going on...

Meh my fridgerator tends to have alot more moisture in it than a server farm
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Meh my fridgerator tends to have alot more moisture in it than a server farm
    Idk, those giant smoke stacks billowing white out of server farms is water vapor, so that'd be one fishtank of a fridge.

@op This is your step by step guide on OCing your CPU.

First of all, bump your bus speed to 200, it should be 200 as is.

Now run windows make sure you can log in and that the tiny OC you just did isn't too much, which CAN happen.

Head back to your bios bump the bus speed to 205 and your multiplier to 13.5, this will give you 2.7Ghz on CPU frequency.
    (note: Disable all powersaving functions)

Now save and run windows again, if no problems on boot check your temps. If temps are stable and looking good, download and use prime95 for 6-8hrs. (Note: check temps few minutes after you start prime95 as well as before you start it.)

Now if you bluescreen or have any errors on Prime it is time to check your voltages. Simply put your going to bump your Vcore or CPU Voltage up in SMALL bits, until you pass or do not bluescreen.

AMD Temps are different the chip can withstand 80c b4 damage is incurred, shut off is @ 74c and recommended usage is 60c and below. Do not let it go above 60c or you will impact your performance.

Personally I'd take that from 200 to 210 on the bus speed and 14.5 on the multiplier for 3.0Ghz (assuming you have an decent cpu cooler)
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-12-21 at 09:15 PM.