Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    You are damn right, 2 wrongs dont make a right... so... why are you trying to inflict the 2nd wrong? given that it wont solve the first one?... Thank you for making my point for me.
    No I didn't.... I just thrown out another fact to showcase the needless approach.
    I truly thought we are long past the cheeseburger and donuts comparisons. Something like 4 or 5 days ago we clarified that already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Stamps are made to certify payment for the transfer of letters, and yet they're the stereotypical calling for collectors.

And that has what to do with the argument?

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    your right the bill of rights doesn't give you the right to drive, in fact there have been many court decisions saying driving is a privilege not a right.

And that's an even more confusing reply.....I didn't question your right to have guns, or cars, or any other crap American's are "entitled" to via your Constitution. I merely pointed out, that death by car, is not the same as death by gun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    But that's just a tool, I mean come on!!
    I believe the grade and amount of plutonium is...wait for it...regulated...but no, plutonium ownership is permissible if you have the correct qualifications. In the case of guns, this means having a gun license.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right of course, cars do kill more than guns.

What's the % of intended death by driving though, versus same % of death by shooting?

And again, yes you're right, guns are a tool. Designed for military personal to defend a Nation(s) Not for random person #86 to kill kids in schools / people in cinemas / etc etc etc
    lets see Telila, ~32,000 are murdered by drunk drivers each year, ~9200 die to gun related homicide. So, you tell me, where should we be focusing our efforts if we want to stop the most amount of deaths?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    And there you go again, getting rid of the gun as you say, will NOT solve the problem.. because the gun is the tool used to commit the act. Lets attempt one last time to teach you, You are hungry, so you go to your kitchen to find some food... you find some ice cream, you want to eat said ice cream, so you look for a spoon, but there are none, what do you do? you find a fork, butter knife or whatever to get to your ice cream, right? Yes, its really that simple, if a killer is intent on killin' folks, the absence of a gun isn't going to deter them. That is why you change the culture of violence. Ignoring that means you are ignoring the problem.
    of course, why didnt i think of it before. That guy in Newtown would have definitely killed as many kids with a butter knife. And same for the other cases.

Also, it might sound weird to you, but my post, the one you responded to, was ironic.

Deleted
    lets see Telila, ~32,000 are murdered by drunk drivers each year, ~9200 die to gun related homicide. So, you tell me, where should we be focusing our efforts if we want to stop the most amount of deaths?

I could not agree more! However, drink driving - A CRIME IN-UNTO ITSELF. Owning a gun - YOUR RIGHT.

Again, quite different really - Especially when the original bit about cars/guns didn't making the drink driving claim, merely cars kill more than guns

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I believe the grade and amount of plutonium is...wait for it...regulated...but no, plutonium ownership is permissible if you have the correct qualifications. In the case of guns, this means having a gun license.

Qualification does not equal licence now does it, come on

10+ Year Old Account
    And that has what to do with the argument?
    The point is, even if the original purpose of guns was as a tool in warfare to balance the odds between a highly trained army and commoners, the epitome of which was seen in the collapse of the Feudal caste system in Japan, their use has since expanded and encompasses more uses beyond to shoot and kill.

Considering the Dems love affair with taxes I'm surprised they aren't proposing to put taxes on assault weapons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    of course, why didnt i think of it before. That guy in Newtown would have definitely killed as many kids with a butter knife. And same for the other cases.

Also, it might sound weird to you, but my post, the one you responded to, was ironic.
    And you failed to understand the point... I've wasted enough effort on you, we'll let you forfeit all your rights that you wish, in order to take mine though you are going to have to come up with a compelling LEGAL reason to take mine.. Good Day, and Good Luck.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    The point is, even if the original purpose of guns was as a tool in warfare to balance the odds between a highly trained army and commoners, the epitome of which was seen in the collapse of the Feudal caste system in Japan, their use has since expanded and encompasses more uses beyond to shoot and kill.

Nope, their use is still "shoot and kill" There is no other use of a gun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    Cars have a utility purpose: they get people from place to place.
    Assault weapons have a much darker purpose: they allow people to kill others with speed and efficiency.
    There is no reason to own an assault weapon unless you're a wolverine fighting the invading USSR. Or a weapons collector, but we don't let element collectors own plutonium do we?
    "Assault Weapons" fall under "common use" according to the Heller case, which upheld the individual right to bear arms in 2008. Why? They're used in self-defense, are commonly owned, and function no differently from any other semi-automatic hunting rifles. The weapons they want to ban are not akin to fully-automatic weapons
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    And you failed to understand the point... I've wasted enough effort on you, we'll let you forfeit all your rights that you wish, in order to take mine though you are going to have to come up with a compelling LEGAL reason to take mine.. Good Day, and Good Luck.

OK, I'll try another way....might even learn something myself.

As it's enshrined in law, that you can have guns.....surely there must be a "right to life" type clause in there somewhere too right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Collections? Target shooting? Either of those ring a bell?

10+ Year Old Account
    Qualification does not equal licence now does it, come on
    A license is simply a tangible indication of being qualified. Try again.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Collections? Target shooting? Either of those ring a bell?

You're joking right? Collection is not the use...ie the purpose...of anything.

Target shooting, is simulation shooting. Or, practice killing, if you will

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 12:17 AM ----------

A license is simply a tangible indication of being qualified. Try again.

Not when stated as means of entry it's not, ie you stating you can have plutonium if qualified.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Self/Home Defense
    - Hunting
    - Collection
    - Sport

In the first case, you don't even need to shoot to deter criminals. Cocking a shotgun can scare of a home invader quite effectively.

Deleted
    If you can't come up with definitions for your parameters, don't propose them
    More like i don't want to. It's not my job.

I wouldn't, because I'm a law abiding citizen. Criminals by definition are not law abiders, so the ban would do nothing to stop them. All it does is infringe upon the liberties of decent, reasonable citizens.
    By then you would have limited the issue of gun abusing to a selected part of society and you can work your way to start cleaning up the mess.
    Add heavy handed sanctions to whoever is caught carrying a gun and you'll see how the "criminals" would start NOT carrying.

And the state -does- regulate them. I am not arguing -against- regulations, I am arguing against blanket bans.
    Regulations, perfect. Exactly what we need. That might mean banning some kind of firearms would it not?

And the society I desire is one that values choice and treats liberty as the norm. Clearly not the one you desire.
    Let's not get into philosophic discussion of what kind of society we want to live into. Liberty has a price to pay, and that is the respect of someone else's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not when stated as means of entry it's not, ie you stating you can have plutonium if qualified.
    They don't give gun licenses to every Tom Dick and Harry. Or at least in most places, again, regulations need to be adjusted. But banning is not an acceptable solution unless you're a moron from the NSW government.

Deleted
    - Self/Home Defense
    - Hunting
    - Collection
    - Sport
    Again, that is not the PURPOSE of the item. They are derived usages of it, based on it actual usage (Except collection, because that isn't a use of anything)

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutes are never true.

-Target shooting.
    -Could use it as a hammer I guess...
    -Maybe fire off a bunch of rounds, heat the barrel up, then light a smoke...
    -OK... Target shooting is really the only thing.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.