Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm 17, so I understand where you are coming from. Still also in high school. I don't lead a guild, however, I am an officer and have led a raid group. There is nothing wrong with it if you are up to the challenge, but don't expect everything to work out like you plan.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    In my own opinion I think anyone below 18 should not lead a guild/raid.
    Eighteen, Nineteen :-)

So depending on the OPs age, he might pass your criteria :-)

But IMO, you can do it, but might be hard to maintain it if you're not online much

Deleted
    Go and try.

If you can manage to lead a guild along with keeping on top of your studies I honestly can't see why you shouldn't try. Some of the best raiders I've seen have been around your age.

That being said I wouldn't of trusted a single one of them to have any type of leadership role so it'll be an uphill battle.

Like others have said, as long as your mature about it things will be fine. I was 18 when I was running a full 25 man raiding guild in ICC. I had the help of my 2 officers (one was my RL friend who was the same age as me, other was an older guy late 20s) and it worked out fine. Just gotta be mature about it. Dont have to publicly display your age. GL with your guild

AGE IS JUST A NUMBER! DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE HERE.
    If you have good leadership and don't sound like a child, you could definitely get away with it. Tell everyone you're 20... you're choice.
    I've known 17 year olds that are much more mature than some 30 year olds and I would prefer the 17 year old to lead

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Just ignore anyone saying don't do it because of your age or high school. I raided successfully five days a week while in school 9:30-12:30 eastern. Kept up with school went out on the weekends and had plenty of spare time to do whatever I wanted. Age has almost nothing to do with raiding or WoW. I've seen people over 30 act less mature than people who were 15 in the raids. It changes person to person regardless of age. That being said I'm 22 now and raid less than I did then but knowing where I came from would never allow me to turn someone down because of their age.
    It's not about raiding, it's about leading a guild to support the raiders. It's a completely different thing. Leading a successful and even semi-serious guild is a part time job. You spend half your time in game not even playing the game, but planning and managing for 9/24 other players who rely on you to do your job so they can do theirs. Running a website/vent server, scheduling, making sure if your MT takes a week off for personal stuff that your raid isn't SOL, checking logs and strats to make sure every player is pulling their weight, handling loot and any drama that comes with it (which is more often than any one who is not a guild officer would guess), handling complaints about other players in the guild or guild policies, because there is always at least one. Believe me, it's a pain in the ass. Even out of school with nothing but a part time job it was way more hassle than it was worth.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

I ran a fairly succesful raiding guild all the way through wotlk whilst finishing year 11/12 at high school. Most of the raiders nkew i was only 16/17 but didnt seem to care

10+ Year Old Account
    Raid leader when I was 14 in Molten Core bro you can do it

Disregarding the age portion, I focused instead on the fact that you're taking on both responsibilities of leading a guild and leading a raid. Especially given your 'limited availability', neither is going to be capable of succeeding as well as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    That would lower the subs a great amount, but would allow Blizzard to add in things more adult like.
    I'm not sure what you're pointing at. What do adults like? I am an adult and I play the game because what it is, not because of what it could be if kids didn't play it!

Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    It's not about raiding, it's about leading a guild to support the raiders. It's a completely different thing. Leading a successful and even semi-serious guild is a part time job. You spend half your time in game not even playing the game, but planning and managing for 9/24 other players who rely on you to do your job so they can do theirs. Running a website/vent server, scheduling, making sure if your MT takes a week off for personal stuff that your raid isn't SOL, checking logs and strats to make sure every player is pulling their weight, handling loot and any drama that comes with it (which is more often than any one who is not a guild officer would guess), handling complaints about other players in the guild or guild policies, because there is always at least one. Believe me, it's a pain in the ass. Even out of school with nothing but a part time job it was way more hassle than it was worth.
    It indeed is a big task, but to be fair most of the things you named I would assign those as tasks for a raidleader. Most likely, it is best to have 1 raid leader (officer) who deals with the raiding side of the guilds (who to bring, recruitement, etc) based on the policies you've setup. Which means you can focus on social issues, voice server, etc.

But yes, I agree with you that it was more a hassle than it was worth. Specially towards the end when my guild was dieing!

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Disregarding the age portion, I focused instead on the fact that you're taking on both responsibilities of leading a guild and leading a raid. Especially given your 'limited availability', neither is going to be capable of succeeding as well as it should.
    I missed this limited availability part I think. But if that really is the case, I would definitly advise to join a guild over starting one yourself.

Anyway, best of luck with what you decide to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    When you are in high school you are not the master of your own time.
    Did mom shelter you or something? I had just as much control over my non-school time as a teenager as I do now with my non-work time as an adult.

Deleted
    I am 16(17 in a few months) and i am the raid leader of my guild which currently is 10/16HC. We raid 3-4 days/week.
    Everything usually runs really smooth, and people usually gets suprised when i tell them how "young" i am.
    I do not handle everything in the guild ofcourse. We usually discuss most of the issues with everyone, and try to keep a nice enviroment.
    School is going really good, even though i probably have abit less attedence then most of the other students, i wouldn't say the reason is raiding for that though.

So yeah, it's definately possible, however, you should have a conversation with your parents and try to explain what you are doing.
    Be sure to help out in the house when you don't raid and such, so they don't go mental at you when you camp your room for a few hours.
    Goodluck in your guild!

leading and maintaining a guild requires time AND effort, both of which you won't have in school, and even if you do, you should put them towards your school/future university work and not making sure a bunch of eBuddies log on time and have proper enchants,etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    Do you think it would be possible for me to maintain and raid lead my own guild or is my age gonna be a concern to a lot of raiders.
    if your having doubts now about setting one up, then your not ready.
    its not just about getting 10 or 25 people together, you need to be looking at recruitment, assigning officers, sorting out forums, arranging raids, knowing tactics for every boss inside and out before you go to them, arranging voice comms, what loot system to use. and that is before you have even set foot in the raid.

after which you need to deal with peoples attitudes, (both good and bad), sorting out petty squabbles, arranging raid times, finding out where or why people don't turn up to raid, dealing with loot disputes, re-recruiting, sorting the guild bank, and probably 101 other things I have missed.

in short it becomes a very time consuming and often stressful effort to run a raiding guild, especially a successful one. I am not saying that you should not set one up, but you should be aware that its nothing like being a member of a raiding guild where your only responsibility is to turn up to raids and be prepared. You will have to ensure that everyone is prepared, everyone knows tactics, and everyone is happy.

And believe me, this is not always going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my own opinion I think anyone below 18 should not lead a guild/raid.
    Agreed. I don't think a teenager can properly deal with all the drama and QQ a raid/guild lead has to concern himself with.

Still there are exceptions.

Only one way to find out: Give it a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
    There are mature teenagers and there are whiny, childish ones.
    That's not the only reason folks are saying be +18. It's also until a player is of legal age, as their parents control their time.

Adults control their own time with all the responsibilities that go with it (oversleep for a overnight gaming spree over and over, forget getting detention or grounded, you're out of a job and rent/food/bills aren't going to stop due to being out of work).

To be an effective guild/raid leader means a time commitment to do both well, or the guild will sink. Secondly, guild leaders usually delegate the raid leader job to another so they aren't swamped with 2 responsibilities, too.

Effective leaders delegate roles/responsibilities with competent officers, and in turn, these are the guilds that last for years (compared to fly-by-night guilds).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

If you don't have the time to raid with someone else's guild, you definitely won't have the time to build & maintain your own.

However if it's purely a question of what hours people are currently scheduling runs on your server, you may have a reasonable shot.

The age thing is an issue, but not insurmountable.

Maybe you'll do it, maybe you won't, decide what you want & do it. It's pointless asking us, we're from the internet.

If you're running late nights, I recommend accepting people's alts.
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2012-12-23 at 01:37 PM.

May as well say this.

No one under the age of 30 should lead a raid guild, and anyone that does should be forced to undergo a rigorous monitoring set forth by Blizz. If you act stupid or fuck your guild up, Your account is permabanned from WoW and your computer self destructs.

Hell, anyone who plays should be handed a copy of the Dictionary and forced to speak like a proper Gentleman or Lady. If you talk like a common chav, then we will happily treat your condition. You just need to pay us for the bullets and the gun to carry out the treatment with

I've been raiding since the start of WoW, and I've only given an extended break in Cataclysm. I've formed and successfully led my own guild at the age of sixteen in WOTLK. I am 20 years old now, and I am still leading a guild. Age does not matter, all that matter are your maturity with handling things, and your leading capabilities.