Poll: Is this a sackable offence?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    He isn't lying about his private life, he's lying about why he needs to take time off of work. Regardless, the employer can let him go for any reason, basically just say "sorry we don't need you." Simple.

Where I worked it was *very much* the case that if you lied about anything you were fired, the actual "motto" taught in the training process was "you lie you die." If this is the US you can be fired for anything they feel like except "discrimination" which is bogus anyway.

Good luck suing the company for finding out that you were lying about your requests for time off.
    In the US I'd agree, laws tend to favor the employer much more then the employee. I think the op is from Brittain though which implies general european employement rules. Not that easy to sack someone in Europe as it is in the US

Deleted
    I'm from the UK and I can tell you that yes, an employer can fire you for taking time off and lying about why, however I really highly doubt that they care that much. If they find out just say you had to cancel at the last minute and didn't want to mess them around.

Well, first off I'm pretty sure you can be fired for any non-protected reason (race religion gender etc.).

But they aren't going to fire you for that without extenuating circumstances. So if you've already given them reason to dislike you, you should be worried. If you're a good worker with a good attendance record who maintains a friendly or at least civil relationship with his coworkers, you have nothing to worry about. If anyone finds out that you actually didn't go out of town and calls you on it, just tell them plans changed and you did something else instead.

Yes.

Accept the firing and go find an actual job.
    I agree. Although, try finding a decent job when you have just come out of university in the South of England.

Very difficult.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 09:12 AM ----------

I just wish to repeat that I work in a supermarket stacking shelves. I'm not counted on to save lives or fight for someone's freedom. I'm easily replaceable in terms of shift cover.

Am I being selfish? Yeah probably. Do I give a shit about the bitching, scummy employees that I work with? No.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

While yes, a job is a job.

@OP: In a state like mine (Illinois) the law saws they don't need a reason to fire you, they can fire you for any reason they like. Don't GIVE them a reason to fire you...

I'd love to take your job though, you should cherish it, there's lots of folks having trouble getting jobs and would take next to anything. Be happy you have something. I used to work night shifts at Walgreens. Suck it up.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    He isn't lying about his private life, he's lying about why he needs to take time off of work. Regardless, the employer can let him go for any reason, basically just say "sorry we don't need you." Simple.

Where I worked it was *very much* the case that if you lied about anything you were fired, the actual "motto" taught in the training process was "you lie you die." If this is the US you can be fired for anything they feel like except "discrimination" which is bogus anyway.

Good luck suing the company for finding out that you were lying about your requests for time off.
    He's in the UK, I believe.

OP, I'm not sure if your situation would be grounds for gross misconduct - general cases of gross misconduct are obvious - however, they do vary depending on the employer and the type of work you're doing. You should check your staff handbook or contract to see if this situation would fall under gross misconduct as far as your employer is concerned.

If it's not, and your employer finds out that you've lied to them then I would expect at the very least they would initiate some sort of disciplinary process, an official verbal or written warning.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Christ it is a booked holiday, If the company accepted your holiday form you can walk into your workplace every single day of your holiday it makes no difference.

My only problem is if you got the holiday without actually doing anything with it compared to say someone with kids that actually wanted the holiday off but wasn't aware they could apply for it 2 months in advance.

If you apply for a holiday just so you can sit on your ass in front of the TV while eating a turkey pot pie for your Christmas dinner as opposed to a mother of 4 who actually WANTS to be there to see her children open their Christmas presents... well then I'd say there is a special place in hell waiting for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    What indicates you got fired due to this and not something else? Also yes. Its a matter of being able to trust the people you got working for you, and the others at the worksite can trust you are there to do the work too.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on where you are the company you work for could be skating on this ice with that statement.

If you arranged to have time off from work and were awarded those days then how you spend them is completely up to you. Just tell them it was going to cost too much money to leave for the week so you decided to stay home. I've had more than one vacation in my life turn into a staycation instead because it would just be more restful and relaxing for me. That's none of my work's business.

If you claimed you needed the time off because of a medical procedure but didn't bring a doctor's not with you that's a different story.
    If you claimed to need the time off because a relative died and they find out (through whatever means) that isn't the case then you'd probably be in hot water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't know about firing/letting you go, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to work with you. The store I work at is open Christmas Eve, I'm working it, because I'm the only manager who doesn't have kids/immediate family. I understand that, and I can accept it, granted I don't want to work that shift, but it's a sacrifice I'll make.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    My only problem is if you got the holiday without actually doing anything with it compared to say someone with kids that actually wanted the holiday off but wasn't aware they could apply for it 2 months in advance.

If you apply for a holiday just so you can sit on your ass in front of the TV while eating a turkey pot pie for your Christmas dinner as opposed to a mother of 4 who actually WANTS to be there to see her children open their Christmas presents... well then I'd say there is a special place in hell waiting for you.
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

My only problem is if you got the holiday without actually doing anything with it compared to say someone with kids that actually wanted the holiday off but wasn't aware they could apply for it 2 months in advance..
    my only problem is that if you work for a company from a lowly burger joint to a large cooperation when you get hired you go through hiring paperwork where they discuss all this with you let alone it being your responsibility to find out the company policy on vacation/sick time etc.
    I work for a large company, we get time accounts; vacation, floating holidays, sick time, kin care time, personal business days and volunteer days. when and what you do with that time (aside from the volunteer day) is not my leads business, not my managers business, not my directors business or HR reps business. its mine. I simply apply for the various times off and given that everyone else has not already asked for these days off guess what you get it off. if I want to sit at home all day in my boxers playing video games that's my prerogative.

Probably not. It's holiday, it's confirmed by them, do what you want.

We had somebody who took two weeks off when his grandfather died. He even had to arrange the funeral himself. We thought this was odd since surely his parents should have done that. We did some digging* and it turned out his parents were on holiday for those two weeks and granddad was alive and well.

He got sacked very shortly afterwards.

* No, not that sort.
    Last edited by Blackmist; 2012-12-24 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I agree. Although, try finding a decent job when you have just come out of university in the South of England.

Very difficult.

With the kind of work ethic you have, i'm not suprised.

I just wish to repeat that I work in a supermarket stacking shelves. I'm not counted on to save lives or fight for someone's freedom. I'm easily replaceable in terms of shift cover.

Am I being selfish? Yeah probably. Do I give a shit about the bitching, scummy employees that I work with? No.
    The amount of job responsibility should not be associated with the level of common courtesy you show or respect to your employers, a monetary or social value should not dictate your work ethic.

10+ Year Old Account
    HE is probably reading this thread right now, so yes you are totally going to be fired after xmas.

Did you fail to think, that maybe I wanted the time off to enjoy Christmas with my family? If I was doing night shifts during the Christmas periods, I would be asleep for most of the days. If they wanted time off for Christmas to see their kids opening presents, then they should of pulled their finger out and booked it like I did.

It may be that the US have different laws, and I can honestly say I don't know anything about US laws. Maybe it would be different in the US, but if a mother of four finds out I had time off, and she gets all moody because she didn't then who is to blame? Me? or Her?

I gave two months notice because I know it is a busy period. I told a little white lie so I can spend the Christmas week with my family and relaxing.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    HE is probably reading this thread right now, so yes you are totally going to be fired after xmas.
    I would question what he does within work then
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2012-12-24 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never knew Sainsburys didn't allow holidays to be taken over the Christmas period. That's awful.

IMO they accepted your holiday form. Plans can and do change and it's not their problem if you're not actually going away for that period of time. You gave them more than adequate notice for them to arrange cover for your time off.

It should also be mentioned that a lot of places have their holiday allowance start on the 1st January and won't allow any excess to roll over into the new year. The place I was at wouldn't even pay you for any excess holiday you didn't take when the new year started.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

I would, you made them adjust schedules and try to get by with less than needed. You knew the policy but you didn't want to follow it and ruined it for everybody

Yeah except inaction is a decision and decisions have consequences. Failing to book the holiday is the fault of the mother of four not the employee who did book that time. If he wants to sit on his ass and eat turkey pot pie for Christmas, more power to him, he planned in advance, she didn't, so I'm without sympathy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

How is that not an actual job?- do you think the world spins because of the people in suits?

Is it written in a letter of employment that you're not allowed to use your holidays in that period?- if not then no.