Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And the sodomy and the lash.

Oh wait, that's the Royal Navy.
    I was Navy (Submarines) before I went Army, Never had the lash though.

Deleted
    Yes, because they're not likely to use said capability unless as a last resort. Plus, it's pretty much a fait accompli as with Pakistan and North Korea.
    No, they are not likely to use said capability against us, however if they could get away with it, they would use it without a doubt against people who wouldn't be able to strike back with the same strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    But the lash is the perfect accompaniment to sodomy and rum.

Regardless, I am filled with joy that you have returned <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Sub duty (at least in the states) is an honor. So you get to give the lash instead of taking it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    No, they are less likely to use said capability against us, however if they could get away with it, they would use it without a doubt against people who wouldn't be able to strike back with the same strength.
    If they could get away with it being the primary thing, given that the US has a leash on Israel. Even so, I'm not really concerned with the fates of secondary players on the international stage.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Sub duty (at least in the states) is an honor. So you get to give the lash instead of taking it.
    Its a real shit job, worst job in the armed forces in my opinion. Crap working hours, cramped conditions, constant boredom, always smelling of oil..... Afghanistan as a Grunt was a doddle in comparison.

Its a real shit job, worst job in the armed forces in my opinion. Crap working hours, cramped conditions, constant boredom, always smelling of oil..... Afghanistan as a Grunt was a doddle in comparison.
    Do guys on sub duty get paid more?

The current Russian Military is a joke. Their troops are poorly trained and disciplined, equipment is outdated when they can get it to work and most of their Navy and Airforce are rusting away in storage.
    Their SAM systems(s-300, s-400) are still top notch though, only thing they've really kept up to modern standards over the years it seems, but that article says nothing about Syria having them so it's just speculation.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    The only people we should be 'attacking' are Iran. And by 'attacking' I mean giving Israel the green light to deal with their nuclear program.
    No, no we shouldn't. Overthrowing the Iranian Government was what gave us the current Iranian Government, I don't want to see a repeat of the Iran Coup which could potentially lead to an even worse Government taking it's place, the Iran theocracy is a pretty tame one compared to some other theocracies. Let the country solve it's own governmental problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    No, no we shouldn't. Overthrowing the Iranian Government was what gave us the current Iranian Government, I don't want to see a repeat of the Iran Coup which could potentially lead to an even worse Government taking it's place, the Iran theocracy is a pretty tame one compared to some other theocracies. Let the country solve it's own governmental problems.
    Did I say anything about overthrowing their government?

Deleted
    Even so, I'm not really concerned with the fates of secondary players on the international stage.
    Wauw, really? Thats cold...
    If you really mean this then I see no point in discussing matters with you as you are just as cold-harted as any person who exploits others for personal gain.
    Just.. wow... I think I lost faith in humanity again ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Do guys on sub duty get paid more?
    Yes, a lot more. A new Able Seaman in the Royal Navy Submarine Service gets a £5k reward for completing his submarine training and can potentially double his salary through bonuses and benefits. You work hard for it though, conditions are pretty shit, You will be treated like scum until you get your Dolphins as well.

I still wear mine when on parades, get some odd looks wearing Dolphins on an army uniform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wauw, really? Thats cold...
    If you really mean this then I see no point in discussing matters with you as you are just as cold-harted as any person who exploits others for personal gain.
    Just.. wow... I think I lost faith in humanity again ...
    I am a realist. I.e. I formulate policy on the basis of how things are, not how they should be. And the fact of the matter is that secondary countries rarely come into the equation in terms of international relations.

Cold hearted in this case simply means being able to divorce politics from morality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because an Islamic theocracy with nuclear armament is a bad idea.

Israel is only likely to employ their nuclear arsenal at the utmost end of need.

The only resolutions Israel is breaching are the ones passed by the General Assembly, which do not matter.
    You do realise they don't have weapons grade plutonium right?- not to mention they don't have any intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of carrying an atomic warhead anywhere.
    If a WW III is ever coming about, I will almost guarantee it'll be triggered by the US' and their We see enemies everywhere, and everyone has nuclear, biological or chemical weapons, not to mention the weaponization of space and the possible outlook of them having tungsten rods which carry the same energy on delivery as nuclear weapons, only it won't be the US + Eu vs whoever is tagged as the "bad boy", more then likely it'll be China, Russia and the Eu vs the US.., and truthfully, they are asking for it!

Yes, a lot more. A new Able Seaman in the Royal Navy Submarine Service gets a £5k reward for completing his submarine training and can potentially double his salary through bonuses and benefits. You work hard for it though, conditions are pretty shit, You will be treated like scum until you get your Dolphins as well.

I still wear mine when on parades, get some odd looks wearing Dolphins on an army uniform.
    Hah. Fair enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    You do realise they don't have weapons grade plutonium right?- not to mention they don't have any intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of carrying an atomic warhead anywhere.
    If a WW III is ever coming about, I will almost guarantee it'll be triggered by the US' and their We see enemies everywhere, and everyone has nuclear, biological or chemical weapons, not to mention the weaponization of space and the possible outlook of them having tungsten rods which carry the same energy on delivery as nuclear weapons, only it won't be the US + Eu vs whoever is tagged as the "bad boy", more then likely it'll be China, Russia and the Eu vs the US.., and truthfully, they are asking for it!
    1) They don't have weapons grade fissile materials yet.

2) I'm not worried about ICBMs. I'm worried about other methods of delivering nuclear payloads.

3) If you honestly think either China or the EU are likely to go to war with the US within the next century or more, you're not very informed.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) They don't have weapons grade fissile materials yet.

2) I'm not worried about ICBMs. I'm worried about other methods of delivering nuclear payloads.

3) If you honestly think either China or the EU are likely to go to war with the US within the next century or more, you're not very informed.
    Henc why I stated that if it came to pass, I'd say it's as likely a scenario as Iran gaining weapons grade material or the capability to deliver any sort of nuclear weapon, in either case its speculation as are all you're replies in this thread.., so careful with claiming to be informed.
    At least Iran is focusing on their own nation and what is a boost to their economy, the US is only focusing on what is happening everywhere else.., eventually even normal Western people get sick of it.

Deleted
    I am a realist. I.e. I formulate policy on the basis of how things are, not how they should be. And the fact of the matter is that secondary countries rarely come into the equation in terms of international relations.

Cold hearted in this case simply means being able to divorce politics from morality.
    There is no need to explain yourself, I'm a realist myself, but that doesn't mean I don't care. If everyone would think the way you think there would be no red cross, no human rights, no constitutions, no healthcare, no UN(not even a US). In short no humanity whatsoever, the right of the strongest(physical, I understand it still applies in the international sceme of things) would still apply in our daily lives.

There is also this thing called progressive thinking, it gave us all of the above. Progressive thinking is thinking about how things should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Henc why I stated that if it came to pass, I'd say it's as likely a scenario as Iran gaining weapons grade material or the capability to deliver any sort of nuclear weapon.
    At least Iran is focusing on their own nation and what is a boost to their economy, the US is only focusing on what is happening everywhere else.., eventually even normal Western people get sick of it.
    Considering the Iranians are currently running a uranium enrichment program, I'd say no, the likeliness is vastly more than that of your WWIII scenario.

World powers need to be concerned with what is happening around the world.

What defines a "normal western person"?

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 04:44 AM ----------

There is no need to explain yourself, I'm a realist myself, but that doesn't mean I don't care. If everyone would think the way you think there would be no red cross, no human rights, no constitutions, no healthcare, no UN(not even a US). In short no humanity whatsoever, the right of the strongest(physical, I understand it still applies in the international sceme of things) would still apply in our daily lives.

There is also this thing called progressive thinking, it gave us all of the above. Progressive thinking is thinking about how things should be.
    Hence the existence of idealists to balance people like myself off. Besides, domestic politics are an entirely different animal from international politics for a number of reasons, so the "realists holding things back" argument does not wash.

The goal of realism is to preserve balance while the necessary social changes to facilitate progression towards the ideal occur.

Navy buddy told me I couldn't dive. Wisdom Teeth yo.