Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Speculation on what Ra-Den is

Similar to Ulduar, Throne of Thunder is a raid that is going to feature a final boss that is heroic only. And much like Algalon, we know next to nothing about Ra-Den, the new heroic-only boss available after only defeating Lei Shen on heroic. Now, i figured there may aswell be a thread devoted entirely to discussion about what this boss could be. Lets start.

He is referred to as the Keeper of Storms, and that none have seen him in battle. Going by the title and how he is only available after Lei Shen, im going to say he is a being associated with thunder. His name only assures this.

Now, one thing noticeably absent from Pandaria is any titanesque beings. The mogu ARE NOT physically related to the titans, they just dtole their technology. This is very troubling, as seeing Un'Goro and Scholozar (Sp), who had that random titan thing and Freya, the Vale of Eternal Blossoms SHOULD have a watcher. The Titans wouldn't leave such and exploitable place unguarded.

Back to Lei Shen and the Mogu, we have almost no idea how Lei Shen/Mogy rose to power, other that Lei Shen found an artifact in the mountain, and used it to rise to power and unite the Mogu. Lo and behold, Blizzard is adding in more Lorewalker stories detailing the Rise and Fall of the Mogu.

Now, my theory. Blizzard is going to retcon what they said about Mogu, and we are going to find out that they were infact Titan creations( similar to Vykrul), who got affected by the Curse of Flesh. After this, they became very hostile and prideful, and seperated into clans, as they no longer could/wanted to do their job, watch over the Vale. They were controlled by a Titan watcher, who after seeing the Mogu's rebellion, begins to purge the Mogu, hence their aggression. This watcher was called Ra-Den by the Mogu. Lei Shen one day found an artifact left behind by the Titans in a vault that allowed him to siphon and restrain Ra-Den, and possibly other Titanic creations.
    The Thunder King was only defeated because this artifact was either lost or stolen.

Deleted
    I think it's easier to speculate upon after we have his model. If it's a Titan Construct it's easier to figure out what's up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    who got affected by the Curse of Flesh.
    Saw this and had to mention: Mogu have earthen/stone skin. Not flesh (see: http://www.wowpedia.org/images/9/93/...ncept_Art1.jpg). As such, I do believe that they very well could be Titan creations, and it is possible that Ra-Den could be an imprisoned Watcher. An interesting idea, as the Vale wouldn't have been left unguarded. All Titan sites have Watcher guardians of sorts.

We'll just have to wait for more information or something.

It is reasonable to assume that this map is Ra-Den's room:

Looking at that definitely makes me think Titan-related of some sort.

The entry is from the top portion of the map, and looks like it may be a hidden stairway leading down from the Lei Shen's throne room, so there is certainly the possibility that it's an imprisoned Titan watcher, but I have a different theory.

I believe that Ra-Den is the source of the Thunder King's power. For starters, we all know Blizzard loves its puns, and 'Ra-Den' is pretty reminiscent or Raiden, who we all probably best know as a thunder god from the MK universe (or Raijin if you like, but I'm assuming Raiden is actually the better known reference!). So perhaps Ra-Den is some sort of electric/lightning/thunder Titan weapon that the Thunder King has managed to reign in under his control, siphoning off its power for himself... but with the Thunder King dead, now its power is going out of control.

For starters, that room LOOKS like a prison. The way the map is setup has us entering the central arena via some sort of teleporter or jump pad of some kind from the looks of it, and it's a massive raised dias surrounded by an abyss or dead drop. It's even larger than the throne room if those stairs are to scale.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-12-24 at 05:28 PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin Japanese thunder god.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_(Mortal_Kombat) Thunder god in mortal kombat.

Notice the similarity in names?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thunder_gods Ajisukitakahikone, Raijin (Raiden-sama, Kaminari-sama), Tenjin (kami) (Japanese mythology)

So... Ra Den is a thunder god. Might be a dragon, titan, watcher, astral epic thing that has destroyed millions, millions of worlds whose lives were like a blink of an eye to him...
    Last edited by Solial; 2012-12-24 at 05:25 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Al'Akir 2.0!
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post

The entry is from the top portion of the map, and looks like it may be a hidden stairway leading down from the Lei Shen's throne room, so there is certainly the possibility that it's an imprisoned Titan watcher, but I have a different theory.

I believe that Ra-Den is the source of the Thunder King's power. For starters, we all know Blizzard loves its puns, and 'Ra-Den' is pretty reminiscent or Raiden, who we all probably best know as a thunder god from the MK universe (or Raijin if you like, but I'm assuming Raiden is actually the better known reference!). So perhaps Ra-Den is some sort of electric/lightning/thunder Titan weapon that the Thunder King has managed to reign in under his control, siphoning off its power for himself... but with the Thunder King dead, now its power is going out of control.

For starters, that room LOOKS like a prison. The way the map is setup has us entering the central arena via some sort of teleporter or jump pad of some kind from the looks of it, and its a massive raised dias surrounded by an abyss or dead drop. It's even larger than the throne room if those stairs are to scale.
    I thought about that too, that maybe Ra-Den is physical manifestation of the titanic power stolen by the Mogu and used by Lei Shen, but it all seems very similar to Elegon, and i doubt Blizz would have to very similar raid bosses. Also, Ra-Den is based of the Mortal Combat character and Japanese Thunder God, making me more inclined to believe he will be a physical being, most likely Titan related.

Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    I thought about that too, that maybe Ra-Den is physical manifestation of the titanic power stolen by the Mogu and used by Lei Shen, but it all seems very similar to Elegon, and i doubt Blizz would have to very similar raid bosses. Also, Ra-Den is based of the Mortal Combat character and Japanese Thunder God, making me more inclined to believe he will be a physical being, most likely Titan related.
    Well, when I say 'Titan weapon' I really mean a physical being. When talking about the Titans, its pretty probably that their most powerful weapons would have sentience. As for being similar to Elegon... well, we really can't say that it is or isn't. Elegon wasn't really a Titan weapon, either, he was the guardian of the Engine of Nalak'sha, which the Mogu actually repurposed into creating their construct warriors. It wasn't actually a weapon to begin with from the looks of it.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if this area is similar to the Forge of Wills found in Storm Peaks which was used to create an army of, in that case, Iron Dwarves. Perhaps the Mogu and The Thunder King are sitting on top of one of these Titan devices and intend to use it to create an army of Mogu/Terracotta warrior to take back Pandaria.

Perhaps the one guarding it is an ancient servant to the Titans much like Archaedas, the ancient stone watcher was for Uldaman and the Discs of Norgannon.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted

For starters, that room LOOKS like a prison. The way the map is setup has us entering the central arena via some sort of teleporter or jump pad of some kind from the looks of it, and it's a massive raised dias surrounded by an abyss or dead drop. It's even larger than the throne room if those stairs are to scale.
    That's lei shen's room.

Judging by its power, perhaps its not a mere watcher but an actual Titan. Hopefully, we'll find out more from the Rise of the Mogu lore they develop.

Quote Originally Posted by masteryuri View Post
    That's lei shen's room.
    How do you know?

Not being facetious, I actually wasn't able to find any labeling, so I was going off of the maps on the front page, and the one preceding this appeared to end with a throne room of sorts, and the stairway to this one was blocked off by some obstruction, so I just assumed.

Deleted
    Considering that this is Pandaria, most probably a Lightning Celestial.

Deleted
    Ra-Den = Ra that strikes.

Deleted
    How do you know?

Not being facetious, I actually wasn't able to find any labeling, so I was going off of the maps on the front page, and the one preceding this appeared to end with a throne room of sorts, and the stairway to this one was blocked off by some obstruction, so I just assumed.
    http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...&postcount=519

Fucking awesome. All of it.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people speculate Ra-Den is going to be another Titan Celestial Construct like Algalon.

I don't think they're going to pull that again.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

EDIT: I am dumb! I found the bits for Ra-Den's prison.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Child View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin Japanese thunder god.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_(Mortal_Kombat) Thunder god in mortal kombat.

Notice the similarity in names?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thunder_gods Ajisukitakahikone, Raijin (Raiden-sama, Kaminari-sama), Tenjin (kami) (Japanese mythology)

So... Ra Den is a thunder god. Might be a dragon, titan, watcher, astral epic thing that has destroyed millions, millions of worlds whose lives were like a blink of an eye to him...
    I can't believe I didn't notice this derivation and influence before. Good call.

Just imagine: Raid has to pass through a small, cylindrical chamber -- every wall punctuated with blue and white flashes. Strange crackling sounds. Then they enter and see this:

::Mortal Kombat theme plays::

Ra-Den
    Raden
    Raiden
    Raidin
    Raiding

The last boss is the physical manifestation of raiding that's consumed so many hours of our lives.