Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which type of class is a Monk really?!

Hey guys,

you can read a lot that a Monk can tank, heal & make DPS. Specially I was inactive for some months I would like to know which spec is really good for a Monk.

Is the Monk really good in tanking, healing & making damage?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk dps is really high, the tanks require a fair amount of skill but can be very good if done correctly and their healing was nerfed recently but it is still pretty good.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    H. L. Mencken

Monks are fantastic healers, decent tanks, and decent dps.

Yes. Each of their specs is pretty strong and you can do very well in either tanking, DPSing, or healing roles.

Give them a go and see how you like them. Monks can be quite challenging, but they're rewarding and a lot of fun.

Deleted
    Monk dps is a perfect steady dps. Quick build up and well worked out cooldowns. nothing OP, nothing UP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do like tanking with my monk, but I really hate mobs that stun. I drop so freaking fast. Maybe I should wear PvP trinket for those encounters? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaypi View Post
    Hey guys,

you can read a lot that a Monk can tank, heal & make DPS. Specially I was inactive for some months I would like to know which spec is really good for a Monk.

Is the Monk really good in tanking, healing & making damage?

Thanks!
    Player dependent I've seen some say they found Monk healing hard for example, but its down to the player. All 3 specs can be both good and fun if they are being played right.

If you hate stun vulnerability, don't roll one until 5.2. Though, I come from a Enh shaman background so i absolutely hate them to begin with, and I still manage to have fun...

10+ Year Old Account
    MW seem to be getting fiddled with by Blizz still in weird directions so if you don't like a class that is under flux each patch. Love my BrM most fun class I have played personally, don't find WW bad I'm able to hit some pretty solid DPS without knowing wtf I'm doing very well.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Monks are quite analogous to Paladins mixed with Druids. Our "Combo Points" are more like Holy Power.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Each spec are note overpowered or underpowered, just like how a hybrid class should be. The only spec underperforming right now are windwalkers/mistweavers in the pvp environment but that's being resolved in 5.2

Monk Healing: bastard child of Resto Druids + Disc Priest. We can do Fistweaving, which means we melee + heal, and we spread a HoT around the raid like a Resto Druid. We can also Single Target heal a tank, however we have no real efficient raid CDs. We have 1 major heal that's 3 minutes but it's meh.

DPS: Steady DPS. No real burst ATM, and no execute. Kinda like playing a DPS feral druid with none of the CD's and watching TV in LFR. Not super bad, not super good. Middle of the pack.

Tanking: Feral Druid with more fancy crap and you get drunk and end up damaging yourself (Stagger). To the left to the left.....

Play one to really get down and see what I mean, but the concepts are the same as I listed.

I can't even begin to comprehend why people think WW is great or even middle of the pack when statistical evidence is something like this:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D...10100000000000

It'll hopefully be fixed in 5.2, at least patch notes look very promising, but currently WW is dead last with zero raid utility.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illitti View Post
    I can't even begin to comprehend why people think WW is great or even middle of the pack when statistical evidence is something like this:

It'll hopefully be fixed in 5.2, at least patch notes look very promising, but currently WW is dead last with zero raid utility.
    Hmph. From the text directly underneath the tables:
    What Is This?

At the most basic level, the DPS Bot attempts to determine and display how various World of Warcraft classes and specs compare against each other. It does this by crunching data from World of Logs.
    There are a few things to be aware of above all else:
    All values are aggregated over the last 14 days from all public logs. So for a specific boss fight, you are usually looking at the median over all kills from the past 14 days.
    Data should be interpreted with a large grain of salt for new fights or bosses that have only been killed by a handful of guilds.
    Be smart about using this data in discussions of class balance. Don't just look at the overall charts and QQ on forums. The truth is usually more nuanced than what is shown here.
    Also, you decided to omit Arms warriors and MM hunters from the table because they were underneath monks just to try and prove a point.

No cookies for you, sir.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Also, you decided to omit Arms warriors and MM hunters from the table because they were underneath monks just to try and prove a point.
    Of course I omitted specs that can easily respec without replacing their gear to have better output. It's hardly worth putting Arms Warrior there when you can easily go Fury and perform better.

Also you can't just quote that to get the easy way out of the argument. Sure if WW had amazing raid utility or other reasons to bring them, their lower DPS could be somewhat justified. But we don't. There's zero reason to bring WW if you have other classes available with similar gear and player skill. If you disagree, I'd be delighted to hear them.

My point was mainly the attitude of these forums, and bringing the spirit of MMO-C Shaman forums into here. That defeatist attitude will never attain anything. If the whole community writes nothing but how much they love the spec, nothing will ever change. When I look at Shaman forums here, it has all the way to moderator level spreading nothing but lies about their performance and how great their class is. Now take a gander at any other decent subforums. They're complaining even if their class is top notch, as they should. Every spec should always try to attain something better, otherwise they'll get the same stagnant class design like Shaman has been cursed for God knows how long.

10+ Year Old Account

My point was mainly the attitude of these forums, and bringing the spirit of MMO-C Shaman forums into here. That defeatist attitude will never attain anything. If the whole community writes nothing but how much they love the spec, nothing will ever change. When I look at Shaman forums here, it has all the way to moderator level spreading nothing but lies about their performance and how great their class is. Now take a gander at any other decent subforums. They're complaining even if their class is top notch, as they should. Every spec should always try to attain something better, otherwise they'll get the same stagnant class design like Shaman has been cursed for God knows how long.
    Wow, bringing the Shaman situation into this discussion was ice-cold, but spot-on. Stagnant is the perfect word to describe Shaman class design. Outside a few changes here and there, the class plays almost exactly the same way it did in WotLK.

I didn't agree with the WW complaining at first. However, after playing the spec in MoP, it really lacked any flavor, and it felt shallow compared to the other two specs. I'm happy to see them beefing up the spec and giving it its own perks. We have the constant complaining from the WW players to thank for that.

You show only 10H from here, and as Nikkaszal pointed out, omited some specs. Lets compare 10H to 25H and see the difference:

Top 100, 1 month: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D...11100000000000 (6th place)
    All parses, 1 month: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D...11100000000000 (10th place)

As you can see, while there are fewer 25 man raid groups compared to 10 mans, monk are fine in 25 guilds. Not all 10 man raid groups will have all the buffs that a 25 will. You can end up with a caster group and a melee monk, and you do shit for damage. Looking at the 10 man info you listed here, it shows monks as being terrible class with very little damage output, only beating out arms warriors and survival hunters (both of which are due to only having 1% of the parses, probably because they don't bring the buffs that fury or beast master provide for the raid). Also, if you notice that the top 100 monk parses put them decently high for the ranking. Switch to all, and it drops 4 spots. This could be due to people not playing well, gearing issues, or even buff uptimes.

Overall, Monks are in a fine position since 5.1, looking to be in a slightly better position come 5.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Monk dps is a perfect steady dps. Quick build up and well worked out cooldowns. nothing OP, nothing UP.
    They're solid Single target, kind of weak on the cleave (2-3 targets), decent mass-AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    They're solid Single target, kind of extremely weak on the cleave (2-3 targets), very decent mass-AoE.
    I'd say more like this, as we don't have a cleave that isn't on a 3m cooldown and our AOE is relentless.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

my teacher from school once said never allow calculator to be more smart then you...u could apply same here cause these raidbots/charts and their models arent 100% same as model which blizzard uses, so pls use your brain..