Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Overclocking my CPU without after market cooling - Thoughts?

Hi, I'll cut right to the chase. I like to play PlanetSide 2 - It's a bugger to run and it likes to set my PC on fire, mainly a problem with my CPU (Or so the game tells me)

I'd like to bump up my CPU's clock speeds but I don't have access to any cooling other than the stock cooling. My CPU is an i5-2500k 3.3 GHz which, as far as I know, is practically made for overclocking and I should be able to bump it up to 4.0 GHz stably using stock cooling.

HOWEVER, my motherboard is a big bag of crap. It's a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3 which is a relatively cheap and weak chipset and my psu isn't great - It's an EZCOOL 650W (Doesn't have the best reputation but what the hay, it was cheap and it works... Mostly)

Will I be able to maintain stable temperatures with my current specs without after market cooling if I bump my CPU clock speeds up to 3.6 - 4.0 GHz? Some people have said yes, some people have said no. If I can, is it a good idea?

If you need it, here are my PC's specs in total:
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.30 GHz Quad Core
    GPU: AMD (MSI) Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3
    RAM: 16 GB (Can't remember the manufacturer and I'm not busting open my case to find out)
    PSU: 650W Ezcool bag-o-wank

I wouldn't do it you can get a really good CPU fan for cheap. This for example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Deleted
    heat will be your main issue if your mobo would allow oc'ing in the first place. (H chipsets are usually locked iirc)

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things.

1) You have a good CPU. You do not need to overclock for Planetside 2. If things are running hot, or the game is running poorly, there is an actual PROBLEM, not insufficient power/hardware
    2) Even if you wanted to, I don't believe the H61 chipset even supports overclocking
    3) The stock cooler should be find for some overclocking, but the fact you're having heat problems NOW points to a pre-existing issue that should be dealt with first.

TLDR: You don't need to upgrade anything, your hardware is good enough. There is probably an issue you need to fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can still probably get up to 4.3ghz with a locked multiplier. However, that will increase the power on more places than just the CPU
    Your motherboard has a (meager) 4phase CPU power supply. That is sufficient for stockspeeds. But do not attempt to OC with it.
    Even if you place a aftermarket fan on it, you won't get far and 'll hit instability fast due to weak CPU phases.

In comparisson, a decent P67 board has about 24 CPU Phases.

If you want to increase speed in PS2, go to your root folder. Find UserOptions.ini, and add the following line under [Rendering]

GPUPhysics=1

@Chazus, actually he does. PS2 is a killer for your CPU. I even have issues with 4.0ghz i5-760. And a mate of mine has a tad less fps with his stock 2500K.

Offtopic: Not sure why you chose a 2500K though. I can understand if people do this on a H-chipset board for the HD3000, but you're using an add-on 7850. Wierd...
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-12-27 at 10:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    3) The stock cooler should be find for some overclocking, but the fact you're having heat problems NOW points to a pre-existing issue that should be dealt with first.
    Heat isn't the problem. I'm running it on medium graphics and the FPS is incredibly unstable. It goes from 100 FPS to 30 FPS whenever I turn around and seems to lag in more processing-heavy environments. I use the alt+f command to bring up my FPS and it constantly says [CPU] (Before my GPU upgrade, it was complaining that my GPU wasn't good enough)

If overclocking is out of the question then I need to find a way of stabilising FPS. I'm fine with 60 FPS constantly, I don't need 100 - 120 FPS, I just don't want 30 FPS when I turn around, it's impossible to react to attackers if I lag when I turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.30 GHz Quad Core
    GPU: AMD (MSI) Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3
    RAM: 16 GB (Can't remember the manufacturer and I'm not busting open my case to find out)
    PSU: 650W Ezcool bag-o-wank
    h61 chipset on a 2500k? really? Hahahahahahaha i love when people, that have no clue how to build a computer, burn money doing stuff like this.
    You could had got an i3 and saved tons of cash, because i5 and i7 have a really shit cost&benefit ratio at default clock's. (i5 and i7 with overclock have the best cost&benefit ratio in the market)
    You're screwed, you got a h61 chipset, that means NO OVERCLOCK for you. if you want to overclock you gotta get z68,z75 or z77 chipsets.
    So yeah, you gotta buy a new mobo with those chipsets AND an after market cooler.

(for the people that have no clue wtf im talking about: intel cpu's with the letter K means overclock series, they are more expensive because you can overclock it, and thats the only reason. the op made a mistake of spending tons of cash on something he can't do)

* User was infracted for this post
    If you edit out the above line again, there will be consequences
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-28 at 04:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If overclocking is out of the question then I need to find a way of stabilising FPS.
    See my previous post, bold text.

I'm fine with 60 FPS constantly
    You make it sound like "only" 60 is some sort of a concession. :P

EDIT:
    Post above me, you CAN overclock on a H61, just only limited, and it depends on how many phases the CPU has (which admitted, is usually on the low side for these boards). However, that makes YOU the person who has no clue what he's talking about.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-12-27 at 10:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    If you want to increase speed in PS2, go to your root folder. Find UserOptions.ini, and add the following line under [Rendering]

GPUPhysics=1

@Chazus, actually he does. PS2 is a killer for your CPU. I even have issues with 4.0ghz i5-760. And a mate of mine has a tad less fps with his stock 2500K.

Offtopic: Not sure why you chose a 2500K though. I can understand if people do this on a H-chipset board for the HD3000, but you're using an add-on 7850. Wierd...
    Not sure if that's made much of a difference. Still 30-40 FPS at Zurvan Amp Station and 80-90 FPS at the Terran Republic warp gate.

Additionally, I did not buy the PC with the intention of using my current GPU, I only added this GPU when new games were coming out that I wanted to be able to run.

Anyway, I wouldn't overclock with a stock cooler.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-27 at 11:13 PM.

Deleted
    You make it sound like "only" 60 is some sort of a concession. :P
    35-40 FPS is the bare minimum I need to concentrate while playing FPS, I tend to not notice changes above 60.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ducklino View Post
    h61 chipset on a 2500k? really? Hahahahahahaha i love when people that have no clue how to build a computer and just burn money doing stuff like this.
    I didn't build the PC. Bet you feel a bit silly now, don't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if that's made much of a difference. Still 30-40 FPS at Zurvan Amp Station and 80-90 FPS at the Terran Republic warp gate.

Additionally, I did not buy the PC with the intention of using my current GPU, I only added this GPU when new games were coming out that I wanted to be able to run.
    Hmm, it doubled mine. Maybe it only works on Nvidia cards then. It being the nvidia PhysX engine and all..

Quote Originally Posted by dezzick View Post
    Very vulgar language and attitude towards the OP. Anyway, I wouldn't overclock with a stock cooler.
    Not being vulgar or anything, its just really funny when someone do something like that.

I didn't build the PC. Bet you feel a bit silly now, don't you?
    No, and it still funny that someone(or you) actually build a oc computer using a h61.
    Anyway, the problem is solved: buy a new mobo and aftermarked cooler if you want to oc for real.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ducklino, i'm going to do the sensible thing and ignore you for now. I'm not even sure if you're serious (i hope not).

@OP, if you can't get more fps by that tweak, i suggest you downtune settings 1 by 1, to find the one that kills your performance.
    I hear setting the render quality to like 85% makes a big difference. Not sure what quality loss it provides though.

Deleted
    No, and it still funny that someone(or you) actually build a oc computer using a h61.
    Anyway, the problem is solved: buy a new mobo and aftermarked cooler if you want to oc for real.
    Considering the PC was originally built for the HD3000 integrated graphics to be used on low-mid end games and I picked it up later on to run World of Warcraft as an upgrade to a computer I had before that cost me literally £50, I don't actually think it was built with ill knowledge or intention. I just happen to have picked it up and started ripping bits out and replacing them in order to accommodate for new games and, apart from PlanetSide 2, which I had no intention of playing at the time of purchase, seems to be worthwhile.

If I was building a PC, I'd just go with a CPU with a higher base clock speed and wouldn't touch overclocking utilities. The fact of the matter is both acquisitions of this PC have been with intentions of low end gaming, it's just that I grew ambitious and started working on it to make it something more powerful than a glorified minesweeper simulator.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:45 PM ----------

@ducklino, i'm going to do the sensible thing and ignore you for now. I'm not even sure if you're serious (i hope not).

@OP, if you can't get more fps by that tweak, i suggest you downtune settings 1 by 1, to find the one that kills your performance.
    I hear setting the render quality to like 85% makes a big difference. Not sure what quality loss it provides though.
    The render quality, as I've tried before when I was still using HD 3000 graphics (and man did that take a massive hit to the FPS) will generally start lowering the quality of textures at a certain distance, so as they get further away, the more they look like arse. I could do this, I've tried lowering shadows, I just wish that games these days would give me a shadows off option. I hate shadows anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    h61 chipset on a 2500k? really? Hahahahahahaha i love when people, that have no clue how to build a computer, burn money doing stuff like this.
    You could had got an i3 and saved tons of cash, because i5 and i7 have a really shit cost&benefit ratio at default clock's. (i5 and i7 with overclock have the best cost&benefit ratio in the market)
    You're screwed, you got a h61 chipset, that means NO OVERCLOCK for you. if you want to overclock you gotta get z68,z75 or z77 chipsets.
    So yeah, you gotta buy a new mobo with those chipsets AND an after market cooler.

(for the people that have no clue wtf im talking about: intel cpu's with the letter K means overclock series, they are more expensive because you can overclock it, and thats the only reason. the op made a mistake of spending tons of cash on something he can't do)
    You could have said that without appearing like a complete jerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact of the matter is both acquisitions of this PC have been with intentions of low end gaming, it's just that I grew ambitious and started working on it to make it something more powerful than a glorified minesweeper simulator.
    <3

The render quality, as I've tried before when I was still using HD 3000 graphics (and man did that take a massive hit to the FPS) will generally start lowering the quality of textures at a certain distance, so as they get further away, the more they look like arse. I could do this, I've tried lowering shadows, I just wish that games these days would give me a shadows off option. I hate shadows anyway.
    Maybe you can compensate a little by forcing extra AF(16x) via your CCC panel. Also, can you install Afterburner, and enable the on-screen display. http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/index.htm And also enable @ monitor tab in the settings: GPU load
    That way you can see your GPU load in % when you play. That helps allot when determining your bottleneck. If you get a fps dip and your GPU load is 99% that means your GPU is too slow, if it drops with the fps it means something else is bottlenecking..usually software or CPU issue.

EDIT:
    Here's a small guide if you're not quite familiar with afterburner:
    http://i.imgur.com/GinIX.jpg
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-12-27 at 11:02 PM.

Deleted
    Afterburner is saying my maximum GPU % Usage is 85, Zurvan still running at 30-40 FPS with 85% render quality. Seems to be the same for 100% render quality. PlanetSide 2, once again, telling me that my CPU is the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Afterburner is saying my maximum GPU % Usage is 85, Zurvan still running at 30-40 FPS with 85% render quality. Seems to be the same for 100% render quality. PlanetSide 2, once again, telling me that my CPU is the problem.
    GPU usage is 85% during the 30-40fps? Even if you overclock your CPU, max fps would be 46fps if that is true.
    So render quality isn't the issue, my guess would be physics. Try to find the option to lower that.

Post above me, you CAN overclock on a H61, just only limited, and it depends on how many phases the CPU has (which admitted, is usually on the low side for these boards). However, that makes YOU the person who has no clue what he's talking about.
    You're the one that actually have no clue. OC a h61 means changing BLCK frequency that is actually dangerous because it affects the pci frequency and it will damage the computer parts on a h61 motherboard.
    Ok kid, since you can't handle arguing with me i understand, you have my permission to do it. Just remember that dinging a hole in the sand and sticking your head inside of it wont fix your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    You could have said that without appearing like a complete jerk.
    omg why you people are so mad at me? i did help the poor guy and im the only person in the topic that actually gave him the REAL way to fix his oc problem, theres no reason to freakout and call me jerk.

edit: damn forum bug-out and made me make another reply.
    Last edited by ducklino; 2012-12-27 at 11:14 PM.