Poll: Dwarf

one thing I knew for sure is that Martin Freeman will deliver, I could tell just by looking at the trailer. Saw the movie 4 times so far, always in 48fps. Don't forget you haven't actually seen any movies so far in 48fps so you are bound to feel "differently", so don't dis the movie just because it felt too fast or unnatural.

ps. too bad they didn't shoot it in 60fps like the original intention, that would have been SICK!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    See I don't agree with the "logic" of that at all. That was the whole point of Faramir's character... that he was one of the few people who were able resist the ring. In the book when I read that part my reaction wasn't "OMRG the ring is Weak" it was "wow, Faramir has a strong sense of self and is rather wise".
    And in the end Faramir does release Frodo, showing his qualities. They just made it more believable, imo.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    one thing I knew for sure is that Martin Freeman will deliver, I could tell just by looking at the trailer. Saw the movie 4 times so far, always in 48fps. Don't forget you haven't actually seen any movies so far in 48fps so you are bound to feel "differently", so don't dis the movie just because it felt too fast or unnatural.
    I noticed almost no difference what so ever between the 48 fps version and the normal fps version. I would probably rate the non 3d higher than 3d 48 fps just because the screen is so much clearer if you cant watch active 3d.

Did anyone else get chills when the they started singing Misty Mountains? Loved the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    And in the end Faramir does release Frodo, showing his qualities. They just made it more believable, imo.
    And to me it made him less than what he was supposed to be

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Did anyone else get chills when the they started singing Misty Mountains? Loved the movie.
    Yes! That was so amazingly well done. It really captured the moment. In fact I listened to that recording on loop to go to sleep to for days after

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. That was brilliantly done. I don't always enjoy film adaptations, and was a little skeptical of the whole 'trilogy' idea, but the first time I saw/heard that in a trailer, I knew I was going to see this movie.

Was forced to watch it in 3D ARGHHH i hate 3D what a stupid fad!!!...still a amazing film tho, must go watch it again in 2D

Oh yeah. My friend actually hated that part which I don't get at all. The music is probably the best thing about the movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osskssa View Post
    Was forced to watch it in 3D ARGHHH i hate 3D what a stupid fad!!!...still a amazing film tho, must go watch it again in 2D
    Whats wrong with it being 3d? I don't think it suffered at all from being 3d. I've seen quite a few 3d movies and yes, some of them are kind of bad, foggy or I don't know.. and the 3d parts don't really show very well in most scenes.

I know it's too early now since we won't see the last Hobbit film before 2014 but what are the chances of PJ making another Middle Earth trilogy? LotR and Hobbit are obviously huge hits and rake together lot of money and Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales provides pretty much unlimited material for more movies. They made 3 huge movies out of a narrow book so you can only imagine how much material they would get from those stories.

I was dissapointed by it. I didn't read the book, but from previous experience, theres alot of story butchering that goes on when a book gets filmed.

It all came to easy for them, its like everytime there was a problem, a Deus Ex Machina happened.
    Moments like the Mountain Giant fights couldv easily been left out, it was unneeded and again they escape such a thing without a scratch.

There were some funny moments, the Troll part comes to mind, but i was overall dissapointed, and i'm a huge fan of the LotR trilogy.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I was dissapointed by it. I didn't read the book, but from previous experience, theres alot of story butchering that goes on when a book gets filmed.

It all came to easy for them, its like everytime there was a problem, a Deus Ex Machina happened.
    Moments like the Mountain Giant fights couldv easily been left out, it was unneeded and again they escape such a thing without a scratch.

There were some funny moments, the Troll part comes to mind, but i was overall dissapointed, and i'm a huge fan of the LotR trilogy.
    The majority of that movie happened in the book. Even the mountain giants. As for the Deus Ex Machina comment: Kinda like in Lord of the Rings? Where the humans are getting pounded hard and about to lose, then lo and behold! Deus Ex Machina comes riding along on thousands of horses! Helm's Deep: Defenders are getting pounded hard (even in the ass, in a way), and here comes Deus Ex Machina riding in with Gandalf and the Rohirrim to save the day! Pelenor Fields: Gondor is getting pounded relentlessly by tens of thousands of orcs, and here comes Deus Ex Machina riding in with Theoden and his Rohirrim barrelling into the orcs. But what's that? The oliphant riders with their pachiderms standing hundred feet high come and flatten the Rohirrim. Lo! Deus Ex Machina comes sailing along with Aragorn and his dead traitors to save the day.

Why are people surprised about this? Tolkien seems to have loved Deus Ex Machina. A theme of the Hobbit is: Dwarves get caught, Bilbo saves them. Sometimes Bilbo gets caught as well, in which case Gandalf saves them. It's a running theme of the whole movies/book. Just like what I mentioned about Lord of the Rings. A giant force appears at just the right convenient time to save the day.

After having seen the film in Imax 3D, I'd have to say it's pretty much excellent. I liked almost everything about it, the goofiness in parts was a tad excessive, but after the quieter sections, I can only assume it's to help keep the kids under control, especially if watching such a long film. I would say that the dwarves introduction was fairly necessary. A lot of people have suggested it wasn't needed, but I disagree. It gave weight and value to their plight and instantly strung together a cohesive narrative for what was to follow.

The 3D usage in the film was excellent. There were no major 'IN YOUR FACE' kind of moments, just a brief bit that I recall with one of the burning pinecones flying at the camera. The rest of the time, the 3D was simply used to increase the perceivable depth, much like in Prometheus. The backgrounds were expansive and fantastically designed, characters located at varying points in the fore-background regions to show it off. The scale of the areas became clear with the subtle usage. Fights were dynamic and multi-layered, switching back and forth between different heights and ranges, the camera often panning and casually diving to show more and more interesting angles. The battle between the giants was a specifically amazing part, both due to the effects in general and the layering usage of the 3D.

Potentially, if anything was wrong with the film, is that it may have been over long for some. I myself was not bothered by the film's length, however, I can easily see it having a dragging effect for those who were expecting something a lot more action heavy. However, I often think that the journey should be half the story of any Tolkien work - the time taken for things to happen is relevant.

The acting for the most part was top notch, from all of the cast. Sure, some of the dwarves don't have much time to express themselves and you may not remember their names, but you know how they'll act as they show up in another scene. The old guys sure are getting old though and it does show. Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee are both still brilliantly understated, regardless. And I would agree that Richard Armitage has carved himself a new cinematic Aragorn almost immediately, where as Martin Freeman is subtly comedic and instantly likeable in the roll of Bilbo. I'll be extremely fascinated to see Benedict Cumberbatch play out his rolls as both Necromancer and Smaug in the follow up.

So over all, in my opinion, an excellent film. And the most important factor: Did I feel as though I'd been on a journey at the end of it?

Yes, yes I did.

Was the awesome movie we saw in theatres considered the Extended Edition or is that only for the Blu-Ray/DVD releases?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Was the awesome movie we saw in theatres considered the Extended Edition or is that only for the Blu-Ray/DVD releases?
    Im guessing its not the extended edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    Im guessing its not the extended edition.
    Hmm what's the lengths of the EE for the Lotr movies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Every extended version is about 20-40 minutes longer than the normal version.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

15+ Year Old Account
    Return of the king has 252 minuten extended
    The Two Towers has 235 minutes extended
    The fellowship of the ring has 228 min extended
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    See I don't agree with the "logic" of that at all. That was the whole point of Faramir's character... that he was one of the few people who were able resist the ring. In the book when I read that part my reaction wasn't "OMRG the ring is Weak" it was "wow, Faramir has a strong sense of self and is rather wise".
    For me, I loved how he was portrayed in the movie ... It wasn't so much the corruption of the Ring, but the Approval of his father which he desired above all else. He saw bringing The Ring back as a way to gain his fathers respect. So in essence he still was resistant to the power of the ring, but he couldn't resist that chance to gain favor in his father's eyes by bringing back the Ring. The Faramir part always gave me chills, because it made me realise that the Ring has power beyond just that of 'simple corruption', even if someone is completely resistant to it's 'evil power', there are other ways the Ring can still corrupt people.

But of course everyone looks at things differently, and I can respect people having certain dislikes with certain parts of LOTR, or any film for that matter.

I sure as hell did, but I actually found that I preferred 'Blunt the Knives' (Of course they were both fucking amazing though), purely because the transition into the song was just seamless, whereas Misty Mountains they kind of had to put that transition in on purpose. When Bofur said, 'Oh you hear that lads? He says we'll blunt the knives' ... And then the song starts it was just fucking perfect.

Seen the movie 3 times now, definitely would not going back to 24FPS, If I went to watch another time it would be nice to see it in Non-3D 48FPS, purely for comparison purposes. But alas, the movie is just beautiful and I so can't wait for Movies 2 and 3. Plus GIVE ME THE EXTENDED EDITION!!!!

Edit: Also don't know if anyone else agreed, but I loved both Bofur's character and the actor. He got most of the lines out of all the Dwarves apart from Thorin, I loved the Actors Accent and he was such a cool character.
    Last edited by Daverid; 2012-12-28 at 11:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went and saw this yesterday, wanted to see it opening day in Aus but stupid Christmas stuff kept me from doing so and I fucking loved it, I have always been iffy about movies that were originally books but peter jackson did an outstanding job, it actually really annoys me that we have to wait a whole year for movie 2 and then another for the third but hands down best movie I've seen this year and I can't wait to pick up the EE.

Just on a side note, have they got a soundtrack out for the movie? Every piece was amazing and gave me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    For me, I loved how he was portrayed in the movie ... It wasn't so much the corruption of the Ring, but the Approval of his father which he desired above all else. He saw bringing The Ring back as a way to gain his fathers respect. So in essence he still was resistant to the power of the ring, but he couldn't resist that chance to gain favor in his father's eyes by bringing back the Ring. The Faramir part always gave me chills, because it made me realise that the Ring has power beyond just that of 'simple corruption', even if someone is completely resistant to it's 'evil power', there are other ways the Ring can still corrupt people.
    Actually that makes sense. If PJ had said that instead of the other I would have felt way better about it. But yes desire for his father's approval and how he had always been the less favored son (partially due to his thinking nature and friendship with Gandalf) was something that was made clear in the books as well. Either way the scene when he ride back out to Osgiliath was heartbreakingly well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    Just on a side note, have they got a soundtrack out for the movie? Every piece was amazing and gave me chills.
    Yep it is out. It is fantastic!
    http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Unexpec...bit+soundtrack