View Poll Results: Where to visit spring 2013?

Voters
265. This poll is closed
  • Japan

210 79.25%
  • Korea

55 20.75%

Thread: Japan or Korea?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Japan is far more picturesque and the food is more varied and original. South Korea is great and the people are very friendly, but everything they eat is super spicy. There's more touristy things to do in Japan, but the experience will also cost more than if you visited Korea. Truthfully, neither place should be missed in the course of your life. Asia's long history gives them a sense of cultural dignity that is unrivaled on Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If you go to Japan, be forewarned that, contrary to popular belief, their technology and the internet in general is pretty much stuck in the stone age. Outside of Tokyo, banks apparently don't know what either Visa or MasterCard are and, as such, there's no such thing as an ATM or Point of Sale that will work with your card. It's pretty much cash only in the entire country. The only places it's not like that are in Tokyo and Kyoto. Both cities are stupidly expensive as well.

I'm absolutely serious.
    That's not technology related, that's culture related. They have the means to but they don't because they prefer to have cash on hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Neither, stay at home save money, but if you have to, I would suggest Korea, Not because i like one anymore than the other, Japanese people seem to have gone through a lot already due to some natural disasters, and probably need a break from visitors, coming just to ask stupid questions and stare at everything, just my guess.
    lol if anything they need the money tourists spend there to rebuild everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That's not technology related, that's culture related. They have the means to but they don't because they prefer to have cash on hand.
    It's totally technology related. What the fuck good is an ATM that ONLY works with the specific bank card you have an account at AND it closes when the bank does?

Their internet sucks, you HAVE to pay for everything in cash, most businesses won't accept a credit card. Most houses don't even have HEAT! Whatever the hell you want to call it, the place is low tech. Whether it's low tech by choice or laziness is another matter that's entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Japan just sucks for everything related to modern life.

This entire post is only applicable outside of Tokyo.... which is the strangest thing. TWO cities in all of Japan resemble 2012. All the others resemble 1950.

Deleted
    If you go to Japan, be forewarned that, contrary to popular belief, their technology and the internet in general is pretty much stuck in the stone age. Outside of Tokyo, banks apparently don't know what either Visa or MasterCard are and, as such, there's no such thing as an ATM or Point of Sale that will work with your card. It's pretty much cash only in the entire country. The only places it's not like that are in Tokyo and Kyoto. Both cities are stupidly expensive as well.

I'm absolutely serious.
    Wasn't it also so that apartments in Japan generally don't have any built-in heating systems? I'm not sure if that applies to just normal apartments or hotel rooms as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Japan is far more picturesque and the food is more varied and original. South Korea is great and the people are very friendly, but everything they eat is super spicy. There's more touristy things to do in Japan, but the experience will also cost more than if you visited Korea. Truthfully, neither place should be missed in the course of your life. Asia's long history gives them a sense of cultural dignity that is unrivaled on Earth.
    I don't know where you get "original" from...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I prefer North Korea in that case.
    Not a sentence uttered often

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Except Africa and The middle East kind of where you know everything started.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    Except Africa and The middle East kind of where you know everything started.
    Yeah... I was kind of thinking that too. People just tend to default to Asia for history, while glossing over the middle east and Africa. Iraq has some awesome history for instance, too bad about their whole current situation that kind of prevents would be tourist from visiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20118...-in-japan.html

Japan isn't what you think it is.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    They're also incredibly racist towards non Japanese people.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20118...-in-japan.html

Japan isn't what you think it is.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:42 AM ----------

I wouldn't say "incredibly" racist... though I don't know a forward thinking first world country that has "no foreigners" "no german" "No americans" "no french" signs on the front of their businesses. I know people who think "oh those poor japanese having to deal with those loud Americans"

EVERYWHERE HAS TOURIST!!! THIS ISN'T AN EXCUSE FOR "NO GAIJIN" things. Some bath houses don't allow gaijins either... and if you have a tattoo forget about it, unless you go somewhere else... that usually would have different "characters"

Could you imagine this stuff in say New York? You walk past a store and it says "No foreigners, unless you have an American with you"
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-12-29 at 12:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I wouldn't say "incredibly" racist... though I don't know a forward thinking first world country that has "no foreigners" "no german" "No americans" "no french" signs on the front of their businesses. I know people who think "oh those poor japanese having to deal with those loud Americans"

EVERYWHERE HAS TOURIST!!! THIS ISN'T AN EXCUSE FOR "NO GAIJIN" things. Some bath houses don't allow gaijins either... and if you have a tattoo forget about it, unless you go somewhere else... that usually would have different "characters"
    A strong mixture of racism and xenophobia then. Even if its not open hostility its still not pleasant. Its impossible to get a citizenship to Japan if you're not born there. Even if you are 100% ethnically Japanese you will never get citizenship if you are raised somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure the Japanese prime minister has said some nasty stuff about the media that creates this image of Japan being a place of insanity and perversion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been to both (and was stationed in Japan), and I can say Japan without a doubt. Really love that place. SoKo wasn't bad; really not a fan of the food though. And, granted it was a sign of the times, but everyone was just...on edge.

I recommend getting out of the tourist-trap cities and explore. Japan has an amazing mass transit system, and it's very easy to use. Pick a spot and go there.

Yes, as a whole, SoKo loves Americans far more than Japan does. There are many places Americans aren't allowed. Who cares? Japan's racist, more news at 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Korea is always under the threat of War.

Japan is radioactive.

Go to Hong kong or something.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I prefer North Korea in that case.
    Do you prefer electricity? because You said North korea lol

A strong mixture of racism and xenophobia then. Even if its not open hostility its still not pleasant. Its impossible to get a citizenship to Japan if you're not born there. Even if you are 100% ethnically Japanese you will never get citizenship if you are raised somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure the Japanese prime minister has said some nasty stuff about the media that creates this image of Japan being a place of insanity and perversion.
    I know two people who got Japanese citizenship. They had to jump through hoops and befriend the inspector guy. He is now "Japanese" and he still gets stopped at random and demanded to show proof that he has the right to be there.

Also Japanese people work too much, they work way more hours than most people do. I have a friend Yuki, she's too fucking busy. She sleeps at the damn office a lot of the time because the trains stop at 12 and she's there working. Not working because she has "work" to do but working because some other guy is there and she's just "working" so it doesn't look bad...

Now this may sound weird coming from a person who worked 14-17 hours a day, but I cut that shit out... It was too much, I had no damn life, my life was work and sleep and business plans.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-12-29 at 01:06 AM.

Neither. It's cold man. Like really cold. Seoul is 0 degrees (C) today. And Okinawa is only 19 degrees (C).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not in a tourist area or a more urban area like Tokyo, 'outsiders' are treated very awkwardly. Japan has been like an introvert in comparison to the rest of the world (not like North Korea introvert).
    It's totally technology related. What the fuck good is an ATM that ONLY works with the specific bank card you have an account at AND it closes when the bank does?

Their internet sucks, you HAVE to pay for everything in cash, most businesses won't accept a credit card. Most houses don't even have HEAT! Whatever the hell you want to call it, the place is low tech. Whether it's low tech by choice or laziness is another matter that's entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Japan just sucks for everything related to modern life.

This entire post is only applicable outside of Tokyo.... which is the strangest thing. TWO cities in all of Japan resemble 2012. All the others resemble 1950.
    You should read the article. A lot of mentioning is that they prefer it the 'old fashion' way.

Japan has started changing, however saying about credit card for one part is heavily culture related.

Having the means to do so is not the same as actually doing it in the fashion that you see fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I know two people who got Japanese citizenship. They had to jump through hoops and befriend the inspector guy. He is now "Japanese" and he still gets stopped at random and demanded to show proof that he has the right to be there.

Also Japanese people work too much, they work way more hours than most people do. I have a friend Yuki, she's too fucking busy. She sleeps at the damn office a lot of the time because the trains stop at 12 and she's there working. Not working because she has "work" to do but working because some other guy is there and she's just "working" so it doesn't look bad...

Now this may sound weird coming from a person who worked 14-17 hours a day, but I cut that shit out... It was too much, I had no damn life, my life was work and sleep and business plans.
    Yep that too. Its very rude to leave before your boss over in Japan so as long as he's there so are you regardless of the reason. If he's there because he hates his wife and wants to avoid her, sucks to be you.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm absolutely serious.
    What? This is totally untrue. I basically lived off an American credit card in Kanazawa way back in 1999, and that's the boonies by Japanese standards.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Japananese food is better but I was stationed in Korea and the people are just amazing. I only spent a little time in Japan while over there so I didn't really get a good feel for the people. I'd assume they're friendly as well. For a vacation if you have the resources just go to both.