Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Danish: Rødgrød med fløde ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VziyktyS0 )

English: Currant pudding with cream

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Kelvin has the most scientifically accurate 0 point, but the degree intervals could have been anything, and happen to line up with celsius because the person making the scale was most comfortable with celsius. Again, it's arbitrary.

And I think the freezing point and boiling point of water is no more nor less significant to people than the comfort range of the human body. I'll grant you that SI measurements for distance, volume, mass, etc. are clearly better than Imperial due to being base ten rather than an amalgamation of various conversion rates, but Celsius is every bit as arbitrary as Fahrenheit.
    I have to disagree, about the utility of F not that the scale is arbitrary. I couldn't care less about a scale telling me if it's comfortable or not, really, I can go out and see if I'm cold or not for that :) Celsius shows the freezing point of water as it's 0. That means that I clearly see if for example, it can snow instead of rain or that the roads can be frozen today so I gotta watch out for that.

Obviously we are all biased here on the system we've been using since always but that's just my explanation on why I think Celsius is better :) In the end it doesn't matter really, as long as it shows the temperature ;)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    SWAG- a bedroll which is both a waterproof sleeping bag and a tent in one, used for camping and travelling- it was made to be able to be rolled up for easy packing while traveling on horseback for cattle herders but also to prevent succumbing to being attacked by mozzies and flies (we have some nasty blood sucker flies called horse flies)

So every time you say swag, to most Australian's they think you are talking about a bedroll and have no clue what half you drongo's are on about when you suddenly blurt out swag as it sounds like you are demanding a bedroll.
    Swag is a Con (con as in Comic-Con, E3) term which has gotten popular in everyday life. Basically Swag was real life loot drops found in a Con, these days it has carried over to meaning IRL loot in general, thanks to TV personalities saying the term incorrectly.

Where did the term come from you may ask yourself, many might think it is from Swagger. Which is the way Captain Kirk would walk. However since the term also relates to stolen loot an old Australian term, Which ironically relates to the bedroll. And was used in crime fiction as recently as the 1970s, which was when the Early Cons started to happen, I must feel it has less to do with Swagger, and more to do with Swagmen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagman

10+ Year Old Account
    WENSLEYDALE!

"Its Cheese Gromit!"
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    Australian

Wheelie bin- Known as trash can everywhere else it seems, but here they are bins with wheels
    Bloke- man/boy
    Mate- friendly word used very frequently in australia, it is used both positively and negatively, but often it is used as a common greeting to familiars or people you respect.
    barbie- barbeque
    Bullbar- the metal sheilding bar across the front of a car- often on 4WD.
    Mozzie- mosquito
    Esky- I think everywhere else it is called a cooler? its the plastic box you fill with ice and put your drinks in when camping.
    Ratbag- term used often at children as an alternative to swearing, meaning they are little troublemakers. This is often used as a joking insult, eg- child does something bad but it is still amusing, like a child drawing nikko all over their face, the parent would joke calling them a ratbag. Also used on pets in the same manner.
    Buggered- Used to say something is broken/not working and probably not able to be fixed. Also used as a way to express yourself "I am buggered" meaning you are worn out and tired.
    We use those in England as well; though I think that 'Barbie' as a term was originally from Australia and we copied it, and me knowing 'Esky' may be due to my parents living in Australia before I was born as I can't recall anyone other than my father saying that (though he called it Eskimo, rather than the short version).

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 02:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Swag is a Con (con as in Comic-Con, E3) term which has gotten popular in everyday life. Basically Swag was real life loot drops found in a Con, these days it has carried over to meaning IRL loot in general, thanks to TV personalities saying the term incorrectly.

Where did the term come from you may ask yourself, many might think it is from Swagger. Which is the way Captain Kirk would walk. However since the term also relates to stolen loot an old Australian term, Which ironically relates to the bedroll. And was used in crime fiction as recently as the 1970s, which was when the Early Cons started to happen, I must feel it has less to do with Swagger, and more to do with Swagmen.

Swag in England meant loot long before the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

In reference to the wiki you linked - it contradicts your dates?

"In the early 1800s, the term swag was used by British thieves to describe any amount of stolen goods. One definition given in Francis Grose's 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue is "any booty you have lately obtained,.... To carry the swag is to be the bearer of the stolen goods to a place of safety."[4] James Hardy Vaux, a convict in Australia, used the term for similar purposes in his memoirs written in 1812 and published in 1819.[5] By the 1830s, the term in Australia had transferred from meaning goods acquired by a thief to the possessions and daily necessaries carried by a bushman. The compound swagman and colloquial variation swaggie first appeared in the 1850s during the Australian gold rushes"

Either way, the term nowadays when heard still is easily translated in Australia to mean the swag bedroll, not swag loot. I believe the majority of the current young generation using the term "swag" does not have any real idea of it's true original meaning.
    Last edited by Khaidu; 2012-12-29 at 12:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Swiss-German:

- 'Chuchichäschtli' (when someone asks us whether we can teach them a swiss-german word, we usually tell this one) means a "tiny cupboard in the kitchen".
    - 'Samichlaus' means "Santa Claus"
    - 'Ricola' is a well known manufacturer of breath mints (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAoDzIsx03E)
    - 'Fondue' is the no. 1 speciality in Switzerland.
    - 'Röschtigrabe' (since our contry has four federal languages [german/french/italian/retoromanian] we call the line which "splits" german and french-speaking parts the Röschtigrabe. Rösti is another swiss speciality made from cooked potatoes which will then be roasted in a pan (http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/114/roesti.jpg)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We use those in England as well; though I think that 'Barbie' as a term was originally from Australia and we copied it, and me knowing 'Esky' may be due to my parents living in Australia before I was born as I can't recall anyone other than my father saying that (though he called it Eskimo, rather than the short version).

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 02:30 PM ----------

Swag in England meant loot long before the 1970's.
    Yes, I thought it was clear that I was saying USA nerd cons in the 70's, ie that is when it entered into the slang of the US, and it referred to free stuff given away at cons.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 05:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nivena View Post
    Swiss-German:

- 'Chuchichäschtli' (when someone asks us whether we can teach them a swiss-german word, we usually tell this one) means a "tiny cupboard in the kitchen".
    - 'Samichlaus' means "Santa Claus"
    - 'Ricola' is a well known manufacturer of breath mints (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAoDzIsx03E)
    - 'Fondue' is the no. 1 speciality in Switzerland.
    - 'Röschtigrabe' (since our contry has four federal languages [german/french/italian/retoromanian] we call the line which "splits" german and french-speaking parts the Röschtigrabe. Rösti is another swiss speciality made from cooked potatoes which will then be roasted in a pan (http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/114/roesti.jpg)
    We have Ricola in the USA, at almost every checkout stand. http://youtu.be/4Q5IA2Epk9Y
    Fondue was popular with yuppies in the 80's.

Rösti they look like Southern Style Hash Browns, or latkes

http://www.londongrill.com/final/wp-.../latkes11.jpeg
    http://www.winecommonsewer.com/.a/6a...9b18970b-500pi

Sad thing because of some stupid frozen potato product being called southern style hash browns it is hard to find the classic ones.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-29 at 01:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    That would be called a "celta" in Czech. C in Czech is pronounced as "tz" btw.
    I always pronounced it as "Check", whoops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    "hyggelig"

Kinda like "gemütlichkeit" but not quite. It is a state of comfort and ease - like the feeling you have when you are with your best of friends or christmas eve.
    I guess it isn't so unique after all, seeing how roughly the same word exists in Danish, German and the Dutch version: "gezellig".

But it definitely doesn't exist in English. It's kind of like fun or cozy, but not quite.

Fuck

It's a very magical word.

:-)
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrules14 View Post
    Fuck

It's a very magical word.

:-)
    It can be used as a noun verb and adjective all in the same sentence!

I'm going to fucking fuck you, you stupid fuck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Westoad View Post
    Craic! Irish and doesn't really have an accurate represention outside Irish but the answer is always. F--- all! You? Lol
    Ah yes, Craic, totally our word, Always get death stares if I say it around a tourist, it's brilliant. Or Rasher, Rasher is funny when Americans come in contact with the word :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I always pronounced it as "Check", whoops.
    In English, it is pronounced "check." If you start saying "tzeck" to other English speakers, they won't know what you're talking about.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Yeah that's correct, "cz" is how Czechs used to write "č" (equal to "ch" in chilli or cheese) in the Middle ages. I just wanted to make clear that our "celta" has nothing to do with Celts
    Oh OK, cool. Glad to know we don't pronounce it wrong in English.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    It can be used as a noun verb and adjective all in the same sentence!

I'm going to f**** f*** you, you stupid f****.
    LOL, yah George Carlin has one of the best routines based on it.

NSFW
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZkb4TPI-Lo
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-01-02 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rs10 View Post
    Hyggelig from danish!
    Hyggelig dan/nor = Nice

Deleted
    Lol actually means "fun" in dutch.

I had fun / Ik had lol

pościel - bed sheets in Polish