Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

SV hunter : haste or mastery?

Hi, was wondering, with the recent buff on ss, if haste is still better than mastery for sv hunter?

Deleted
    Yeah, that's what I've heard at least.

It's varied, but favoring one side. I'm guessing that the difference is quite minimal. Some top SV hunters are prioritizing haste over mastery, but most seem to stick with mastery > haste (most likely due to the fact that they switch to BM for single target fights, or that BM is their MS) plus the srs buff def brings them closer, if not pushes mastery a little ahead. And both sides have world top parses. I'd stick with mastery > haste, personally.

I was using Haste > Mastery before 5.1, but after buffs to Serpent Sting, I went Mastery > Haste. I didn't really notice much of a difference though.

there's not much difference but, as said, you normally switch from BM to SV and back, so there's no real reason to stick Haste above Mastery

Deleted
    I only play sv, but with ss buff and 2nd bonus of T14 I reconsider mastery. Atm I try to make haste = mastery

Deleted
    Haste > Mastery. If you sim'ed it either with SimulationCraft or Femaledwarf you'd see it. The only other way to know is personal tests - not on dummies, please.

Quote Originally Posted by spiattalo View Post
    Haste > Mastery. If you sim'ed it either with SimulationCraft or Femaledwarf you'd see it. The only other way to know is personal tests - not on dummies, please.
    So not in PvP?

/rimshot

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    So not in PvP?

/rimshot
    Haha

Made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalicqt View Post
    Hi, was wondering, with the recent buff on ss, if haste is still better than mastery for sv hunter?
    Haste is simming a tiny bit above mastery. ~100 dps for what i've tested, but in practice most fights are going to favor mastery heavily over haste so it is just better to go mastery. Take stone guard, haste has no affect on your SrS so your SrS on the other quilen won't be as strong as if you stacked mastery and will yield more than a 100 dps increase and really, any other fights with multi target/aoe fights can have this applied to them making mastery better. Just go

Hit/Exp cap > Crit > Mastery > Haste

and you will be fine.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Haste is simming a tiny bit above mastery. ~100 dps for what i've tested,
    Here though, when getting stat values from sims and such, you have to also know that haste is somewhat odd for hunters and often shows its potential higher than it actually is.

And what the rest of Tehstools' post said.

Deleted
    Am I mistaken in saying Haste was mainly benificial if you could reach certain plateaus, and we cannot achieve the said plateaus in current gear? (Not playing Survival atm, mainly BM so I am not 100% read up on it for now)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Relis View Post
    Am I mistaken in saying Haste was mainly benificial if you could reach certain plateaus, and we cannot achieve the said plateaus in current gear? (Not playing Survival atm, mainly BM so I am not 100% read up on it for now)
    The plateau was for an extra attack of Dire Beast, and yes it was a small dps boost before the SrS buff No idea how it is now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    The plateau was for an extra attack of Dire Beast, and yes it was a small dps boost before the SrS buff No idea how it is now.
    Ah fair enough. Like I say, I'm not playing SV much at the moment but I'll keep an eye on the thread and hopefully find some useful info for when I pick up SV again

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    i believe it is a chance at an extra DB melee attack. Not sure where I read that though.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

i believe it is a chance at an extra DB melee attack. Not sure where I read that though.
    At a specific haste point (around 3.7k I believe) normal calculations show that Dire Beast should get an extra attack, however it isn't behaving properly and it will only sometimes give you that extra attack.

Deleted

Yes? That's what I just wrote, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    At a specific haste point (around 3.7k I believe) normal calculations show that Dire Beast should get an extra attack, however it isn't behaving properly and it will only sometimes give you that extra attack.
    Ahh alright, guess it shouldn't be something you try and reach then as it is very unreliable.

haste is also simmed higher cuz of certain rotation alignments.. Like it used to be 1.66 s cobra cast time in DS. I dunnu what it is right now since there are more abilities that hinder the rotation. But that is also a factor in sims. Plus sims only account for pure patchwerk style single target. And if there is a pure single target patchwerk style fight, why would you be SV. Go BM. And if you're full time SV for some reason, like tehstool said, with the haste build you'd actually be underperforming on fights with multiple targets and aoe. And do a couple hundred dps higher on single target. Not even close to being worth it to go for haste over mastery.

Deleted
    Are you sure haste > mastery is such a significant DPS-loss on AoE though? You will be able to get out more multi-shots overall due to increased (pasive and CS) focus regen, and SrS will tick faster.

edit: responding to tehstool

edit 2: 2.5k mastery translates into (roughly) 4% increased magic damage. 2.5k is (roughly) the amount of mastery that is between going crit > mastery > haste and crit > haste > mastery with BiS gear. Taking into account that the AoE-phases on most bosses don't make up a very much of the encounter (Stone Guard being an exception; and by the way, don't bother SrSing the third add, as damage done to it is decreased), the difference between going mastery > haste and haste > mastery - I would think - is quite small (tilting in both directions), both on pure single target encounters and AoE ones.
    Last edited by mmocec95b0aeea; 2012-12-29 at 09:48 AM.

Deleted
    Crit > Mastery > Haste
    with Normal Gear. When u begin to get Heroic T14 Gear, its Crit > haste > Mastery.