Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Everything's pretty much already been said. let her play how she's comfortable, and let her transition into keybinding after she's become a better player. Only other thing is if she's playing melee as a clicker you might have her reroll to healer or ranged until she knows the game better. move her target frames down by her action bars if that's where her eyes are focused, and teach her to tab target, you dont have to keybind to learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    One thing I don't like about guys spending their time on video games. Merely as a tip. I often consider this scenario. What would my GF look more attracted to? Me a boyfriend that spends the night or the weekend playing video games? Or me playing guitar singing?

Tip being - Spend less time on video games, try something new for a difference. I have this friend in a pretty much same scenario. He has this GF, he's spending his time one video games and they've been together for almost two years. Of coures she admitted, I'd rather have a boyfriend that could play the guitar or/and sing for me than playing video games.

Not going to be rude, but just move away from gaming. Even if she's the one taking the move towards the video games.
    Why move away from gaming? Both gaming and guitar playing are, for the most part, useless for skills and more of a hobbyist thing. Ditch gaming? To become an "artist"?

If she doesn't like you for gaming, don't change. Never be afraid to be yourself, don't change for a woman. And don't be a hippy guitar player if you don't want to. Sorry, I forgot to preface this with "not to be rude".

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 06:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    The steering is not so much the issue. Her clicking of spells is. I am trying to get her to use keybinds that make it obvious to play more intuitive rather than active and keeping the mouse solely for camera and targeting for the most part. In other words, i am trying to get her to make note of her surroundings instead of her actionbar because that is where her eyes are focussed.

As for her DPS, she is 87 now and struggles to do more than 15-20k in dungeons most of the time. I can easily out DPS her on my holydin .. ;/
    She might enjoy gaming, but she could just be bad at it. My dad's been playing since vanilla, and he still clicks and moves with his mouse no matter how many times I've suggested otherwise. Spend more time enjoying the time playing with her, less time getting frustrated on it. My dad enjoys doing battlegrounds, where dps and awareness isn't as important, maybe you should spend time doing those with her, as well.

I've been where you are right now, and it didn't get better for me, and I see it in my dad also. Best of luck though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffa View Post
    If a bf had had behaved as you did when I was young and had them - hmmm. I would have thought what a patronising git, kicked him where it would hurt him for a few days and found someone who did not want to spend his life staring into a computer monitor.
    And yet here you are on MMO champ forums, its your opinion, if i had a GF that thinks as you do i would find someone more suitable for me also. this is not even OP problem. Gammers belive it or not still do just as much if not more than non- gammers with tourneys being held, conventions, game releases, etc. sorry but i find it either trollish or useless to come on here and flame gammers on a gamming site.....

I can't help but imagine if she had taken the time to level herself she may have learnt more about the game and her class to perform better, if you RAF dungeon spam you level so fast a new player can't keep up.

Her choice of controls doesn't really matter, I know plenty of players who click the majority of their spells and play very well. But again, if she leveled herself she would have more time to adjust her controls to how she wants them.

Or she's just playing to spend more time with you, in which case you should try going out somehwere.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Nobody is asking for your "life advice" here. Despite your final comment, your post does come off as pretty rude by insinuating gamers are, by default, less attractive than non-gamers.
    Ah, sorry. You misunderstood that It was more like, move away from the gaming subject to spend time with your GF. Not to quit gaming. I always say it, gaming doesn't affect your social life. It's how you manage it. You can be a gamer and still be a huge part of socializing. It just depends on how much of your time you dedicate to what part So no insult. ;D

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 07:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    Why move away from gaming? Both gaming and guitar playing are, for the most part, useless for skills and more of a hobbyist thing. Ditch gaming? To become an "artist"?

If she doesn't like you for gaming, don't change. Never be afraid to be yourself, don't change for a woman. And don't be a hippy guitar player if you don't want to. Sorry, I forgot to preface this with "not to be rude".[COLOR="red"]
    Sorry, it came out wrong. I wasn't trying to say quit games. That's not my intention, but move away from it as a part of doing something together. Of course you can spend time playing video games, but there's alot of other things you can do together. For spare time alone, absolutely play games, it really doesn't matter. I know people that bang more chicks a week than bosses they down in WoW. Weird example :S Either way. What I wanted to say with the last comment is - Instead of moving to gaming, move to some other hobby. Or stick with gaming, w/e suits you. But from experience - Most girls don't wish to spend their night with their boyfriend on the computer, even if they say so.

And of course you can be the star of attention in your social life with playing video games, it's just about managing time. It just game out a bit wrong soz for that

One thing I don't like about guys spending their time on video games. Merely as a tip. I often consider this scenario. What would my GF look more attracted to? Me a boyfriend that spends the night or the weekend playing video games? Or me playing guitar singing?

Tip being - Spend less time on video games, try something new for a difference. I have this friend in a pretty much same scenario. He has this GF, he's spending his time one video games and they've been together for almost two years. Of coures she admitted, I'd rather have a boyfriend that could play the guitar or/and sing for me than playing video games.

Not going to be rude, but just move away from gaming. Even if she's the one taking the move towards the video games.
    Your gf should love you for who you are.....I am guessing she probably didn't do a similar thing. If I knew my gf stopped doing a thing she liked just because of me, I would be pretty sad and tell her not to quit that thing. Then again I would never be with a girl who would didn't want me to be me. Video games, NEVER a problem in any kind of relationship I have ever been in.

She is doing 15-20k in dungeons at lvl 87? Get back to me when she is lvl 90 and hit and expertise capped. I mean I do about the same overall in dungeons, but with some bosses I do a ton more at times. In Cata I did more dps in dungeons, but with gearing and scaling I know I won't be doing great dps in MoP right now. Do I believe I am awful, no cause most players I have played with are around the same and we didn't have problems. Get back to us when she is 90.

Edit:Kezotar, I saw your new post and I agree with what you said in it. Your first post just came out wrong to some of us lol.
    Last edited by Theendgamelv3; 2012-12-30 at 07:02 AM.

i used to be like this...my 1st character was a warrior...i can say back in vanilla i died..maybe..every other level?. well while leveling i learned the keybaord...the more alts i made the better i got at the game i would say it took me about a good 7 months to really get a good grasp of the game. even then i was a clicker. 1st things 1st learn movement on the keyboard..clicking is fine..but she needs to learn WASD thats gonna really really help her out alot.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    There's nothing wrong doing what you love. If you try not to be yourself just because people don't like it then that's not cool imo.
    Well I kinda messed up here. I wasn't trying to implify - Stop WoW. But it's more of a - Move away from WoW as a object of quality time with your GF. It might sound a bit confusing, but think of it like this. Instead of playing Video Games together with her, you can for example go out, do something together. It wasn't in a way to insult gamers, even though a few of them have really low self esteem, which makes me furious, as they think of themselves inferior to some girls. " Had this ocasion with a friend saying that he doesn't deserve his GF and can't see what she is seeing at him etc, makes me sick when he says stuff like that ". But sorry for the misunderstanding. But it was more of a leading to another subject, you can easily combine gaming and social life. No problem.

Just let her play how she wants to play pushing her in other ways may become frustrating and cause her to want to quit, if she asks advice give it. Other then that let her learn she will eventually get better as most of us have, it just takes practice.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    Your gf should love you for who you are.....I am guessing she probably didn't do a similar thing. If I knew my gf stopped doing a thing she liked just because of me, I would be pretty sad and tell her not to quit that thing. Then again I would never be with a girl who would didn't want me to be me. Video games, NEVER a problem in any kind of relationship I have ever been in.

She is doing 15-20k in dungeons at lvl 87? Get back to me when she is lvl 90 and hit and expertise capped. I mean I do about the same overall in dungeons, but with some bosses I do a ton more at times. In Cata I did more dps in dungeons, but with gearing and scaling I know I won't be doing great dps in MoP right now. Do I believe I am awful, no cause most players I have played with are around the same and we didn't have problems. Get back to us when she is 90.

Edit:Kezotar, I saw your new post and I agree with what you said in it. Your first post just came out wrong to some of us lol.
    You're getting me wrong, I messed up with the comment and assume it's too late to edit it out ><. I'm not saying that you have to change your personality. I tell girls I play. It never causes any problems. But what I was more into was, how you spend your time with your GF. What I tried to say was, instead of making her play, try to do something different. Gaming can be fun from time to time. Even for girls, but there's better ways to spend the time together with. As a personal reference, I wouldn't quit playing for a girl myself either. She doesn't like that, it's fine. There's plenty of them out there.

Wasn't really trying to bash any WoW gamers or anyone having GFs playing WoW. Was just merely trying to offer something else to spent your time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, reversed the keybind change and I'll leave her to finding stuff out herself.

She plays kitty btw

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I kinda messed up here. I wasn't trying to implify - Stop WoW. But it's more of a - Move away from WoW as a object of quality time with your GF. It might sound a bit confusing, but think of it like this. Instead of playing Video Games together with her, you can for example go out, do something together. It wasn't in a way to insult gamers, even though a few of them have really low self esteem, which makes me furious, as they think of themselves inferior to some girls. " Had this ocasion with a friend saying that he doesn't deserve his GF and can't see what she is seeing at him etc, makes me sick when he says stuff like that ". But sorry for the misunderstanding. But it was more of a leading to another subject, you can easily combine gaming and social life. No problem.
    So you are assuming that all they do with their personal time is play WoW? Tip: your digging yourself a hole.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Junir View Post
    Never try to be something that you are not, or conform to what other peoples image of what you should be.
    OT: my GF just started playing as well(sometimes girls play video games) to show her some basic functions we just dueled that way she can learn targeting and why a good play configuration is needed. also it let her try different ways of playing with no pressure, takes time.
    My comment came out a bit wrong as therefor I'm trying to fix it replying back. My intention was never to decieve your GF into beleving you're someone else. A GF has to respect I spend my spare time as I wish. If I play WoW she has to accept that bagage when she picks me or I pick her. That's understandable. I don't wish for anyone to change for a GF.

I even got this stupid answer from a friend when we were discussing, how far would you go for a GF. The topic was to shave your legs, would you do so if she told you to? And he said yes. Such a easy victim. - Here we come back at the scenario where we talk about changing personal viewpoints for a girl. I'm against that. But what my post was supposed to say, and what it failed terrible, I'm sorry for that. It was to try to make you and your GF spend some time outside WoW. I'm not trying to say that spending time with your GF on WoW is a bad thing, but really. There's alot of options in life that make the first option look really inferior to the others. It wasn't supposed to be such a big discussion about it, i feel a bit mean now for making you guys feel i bashed you >.<

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 08:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Junir View Post
    So you are assuming that all they do with their personal time is play WoW? Tip: your digging yourself a hole.
    Where did you come up with this assumption? I was merely now trying to apologize and try to reflect my thoughts a bit deeper.

It's just WoW is a time hungry game and time can go fast while enjoying it. I'm just saying try to go outside WoW. There's nothing even wrong playing it together, just try something different for a option. Tbh, screw even my opinion, do what you feel is best. Never try to be pushed to do something you don't like. Give it a try, don't feel for it, leave it.

Digging myself a hole? In terms of how?

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    My comment came out a bit wrong as therefor I'm trying to fix it replying back. My intention was never to decieve your GF into beleving you're someone else. A GF has to respect I spend my spare time as I wish. If I play WoW she has to accept that bagage when she picks me or I pick her. That's understandable. I don't wish for anyone to change for a GF.

I even got this stupid answer from a friend when we were discussing, how far would you go for a GF. The topic was to shave your legs, would you do so if she told you to? And he said yes. Such a easy victim. - Here we come back at the scenario where we talk about changing personal viewpoints for a girl. I'm against that. But what my post was supposed to say, and what it failed terrible, I'm sorry for that. It was to try to make you and your GF spend some time outside WoW. I'm not trying to say that spending time with your GF on WoW is a bad thing, but really. There's alot of options in life that make the first option look really inferior to the others. It wasn't supposed to be such a big discussion about it, i feel a bit mean now for making you guys feel i bashed you >.<

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 08:14 AM ----------

Where did you come up with this assumption? I was merely now trying to apologize and try to reflect my thoughts a bit deeper.

It's just WoW is a time hungry game and time can go fast while enjoying it. I'm just saying try to go outside WoW. There's nothing even wrong playing it together, just try something different for a option. Tbh, screw even my opinion, do what you feel is best. Never try to be pushed to do something you don't like. Give it a try, don't feel for it, leave it.

Digging myself a hole? In terms of how?
    You came in telling gamers or (gamer) that his lifestyle is hurting his relationship, when it clearly isnt where he said she had played games before and she wanted to play WoW, no need for your insite on relationships, then instead of apolgizing you just reworded your original comment, and you made the conclusion that all they did is play WoW by saying that they should do something else with their time yes WoW is time consuming if you cant handle yourself (he already has a Gf hence he is social), assuming all they did was play games im sure they go out and do other things, and you are diggin a hole by continuing on with an explination of your same already disliked comments , im not the spokesperson for WoW players i just take personal offense when someone flames a lifestyle i can relate to, im sure if a girl and guy liked to sing and song write together someone wouldnt say meh i would stay away from that and play WoW instead...... but im over it, and on behalf of the WoW community apology accepted (J/K) :P

10+ Year Old Account
    lol just let her play how she wants to. I use WASD and only use 1-5 keys, the rest i CLICK, that's right....click. I also do top DPS and own in BG's/Arenas....I just got used to it and it works out for me.

What a pile of bullshit, really. What made you think in the first place that all he does with his gf is play games?

OT: Im a WASD'er/clicker because I had serious RSI (repetitive strain injury) by the time I started playing, so I taught myself this way and it seems impossible for me to change after 6 years. Have to say that disregard being a clicker I have a very decent gameplay (9/16H atm), so I say if you girl want to be a clicker let her play the way she feel more confortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post

If she doesn't like you for gaming, don't change. Never be afraid to be yourself, don't change for a woman. And don't be a hippy guitar player if you don't want to. Sorry, I forgot to preface this with "not to be rude".
    The guitar player always gets the girl, dude. Obese gamer, not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely not a gamer chick lol. I'd strongly advise against getting her into WoW; I've gone down that road, and while it obviously isn't 100% going to happen, it's not pretty :-)

I've found that the keyboard layout is pretty standard in many games. If she can't play WoW properly, she's going to have a heck of a time in many other games. If she's unwilling to learn how to do it the 'proper' way (of which there are many, to tell the truth) then maybe gaming just isn't for her. Don't try to force it, trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Learn her to move like a pro!

I've set up my character movement completely on my mouse. I've putted the autorun button on my middle mouse (wheel) button, which makes movement with only my mouse possible. I have extra buttons on my mouse as well. Two of them are assigned as use ground mount and use fly mount.
    Then i got 1 hand free to use for spells and such. Works like a charm.

Deleted
    If she is struggling with the controls and have problems to change, perhaps trying console gaming would be a better idea if you wish to play with your GF?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    The guitar player always gets the girl, dude. Obese gamer, not so much.
    Where did you get the idea that you is obese only because you like games from? I know guys that have the same looks as the "guitar player" but yet plays games on a regular basis, being quite good at it too, i.e duelist/glad level players.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2012-12-30 at 08:39 AM.