[Prot] Gearing advise

At this moment I'm trying to figure out at which point it's worth to prioritize haste over mastery for myself. (Armory in sig)
    I'm actively trying to replace the "tanking" pieces and the helm (was using the 450 crafted before it).
    At this point, it just seems that extra mastery is helping more than the extra haste (at least at such low values)

Deleted
    Would need some more info. Running 10 or 25 man? Got any logs? Just doing 5 mans? etc.

Without knowing to much details, generally 10 man -> haste 25 man -> stamina > mastery

Though details of your group and what you are doing may change this.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Would need some more info. Running 10 or 25 man? Got any logs? Just doing 5 mans? etc.

Without knowing to much details, generally 10 man -> haste 25 man -> stamina > mastery

Though details of your group and what you are doing may change this.
    10 man.
    Group : dk's x2 (frost) , druids x4 (all flavors afaik) , disc priest, ench shammy, mage.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Group : dk's x2 (frost) , druids x4 (all flavors afaik) , disc priest, ench shammy, mage.
    wow dude... sorry to hear that

Deleted
    Well, obvious problem with your group is that you will not have great access to haste gear since you got 2 frost dks. That being said, yes, you should prioritise haste over mastery to every extent that you can. The choice you have to make yourself however is how much you prioritise stamina. Find a nice balance between stamina and secondary stats. But as long as secondary stats go, haste>mastery.

Hmm, interesting, will try to change reforges / gems them, assumed that up to some point mastery was still somewhat better. (And yes, having 2 dk's in a group does wonders for the rate of getting gear, but... at least i won't have to deal with 7 ppl rolling on same tokens)

Deleted
    Thing is bonus rolls gives you access to gear either way, regardless if you are 5 plate or not.
    Just remember to respecc before you roll

Thing is bonus rolls gives you access to gear either way, regardless if you are 5 plate or not.
    Just remember to respecc before you roll
    Honestly, it feels like bonus roll gives me exclusive pass to 28.5 gold :/

Deleted
    yeh your kinda screwed with your raid setup

pally tank gear is basically what you would class as dps gear (or ret gear). your looking for a piece that has hit/haste....exp/haste or hit/exp.

gemming wise theres no set in stone gem for each colour...it depends on your gear level and your current hit/exp levels.

at low itemlvls id suggest going...red = exp.....blue = hit/exp....yellow = haste/exp

this should help you reach the cap quicker.....stamina isnt really that big of a deal as it has been in the past....u can give urself more stamina in return for less haste (i.e use exp/stamina gem in blue instead of hit/exp...meaning you just have to reforge into hit more). once you reach mostly normal raid gear you will have enough stamina to survive most fights....think in 505itemlvl i sit at 520k which is already more than enuff (with the expection of leh shi).

theres no cap on haste either dont worry about stacking it...the more the better. also 10 or 25man if really doesnt matter...haste will still win most of the time....there are fights like leh shi heroic where stamina stacking wins.....but apart from that haste is still good on every fight.....and especially broken on others (wind lord 10man heroic for example) or stone guard 25man if u take the two dogs.

when using reforgelite you can pre set item weights so just make sure you have haste at a higher weight than mastery and the addon will still reforge optimally for you.
    Last edited by mmocf7b8106c06; 2012-12-27 at 10:27 PM.

Deleted
    @akrusLJ

Saying that haste vs mastery does not matter between 10 and 25 man is very close minded. Tanking is fundamentally different between 10 and 25 man and it favors different values.

Sorry to piggy-back but I'm doing it. I know alot of ppl say the only stupid ? is a ? unasked but I know that to be untrue and hope people dont find me too ignorant.
    I'm just now Ilvl'ing up my prot and am wondering how to do this. People say to use dps gear. Do we actually use the gear or just reforge into dps stats? If we are to use dps gear how do u get that in raids? only with the re-roll coins after switching spec to ret. If you are a prot/holy are u screwed in this then?
    Thanks for taking the time in reading this and thanks for the response's in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Praytorian View Post
    I'm just now Ilvl'ing up my prot and am wondering how to do this. People say to use dps gear. Do we actually use the gear or just reforge into dps stats? If we are to use dps gear how do u get that in raids? only with the re-roll coins after switching spec to ret. If you are a prot/holy are u screwed in this then?
    Thanks for taking the time in reading this and thanks for the response's in advance.
    It is pretty hard if you're not raiding but you still have to get pretty well geared before that situation even occurs to be a problem. In 5 mans you'll be able to roll on the loot anyway. Just don't forget that you want to get 7.5% hit and 15% expertise before thinking about haste or mastery or anything else really, but if you can get gear with haste on it anyway whilst you're achieving those caps then even better.

Way I've done it as a non raider with limited play time now, is that I focused on getting gear with Hit/exp (maybe both if lucky) and then preferably Haste/Mastery but it wasnt a necessity, if it had hit/exp and then parry it was fine. Then once I achieved the hit and exp cap and began moving into other stats, I was then picky about gear and making sure it had the required stats rather than beforehand. This way you gear up faster, letting you into LFR and the like and also some pugs for the normal raids in which case you should be able to get your hands on the loot.

The difference between "using dps gear" and "reforging into dps stats" is nothing on certain pieces of gear, you'll get a lot of hit and mastery pieces for example. You can't qualify that as either, but then you will turn one of those into haste afterwards anyway.

People really need to stop thinking in terms of "get dps stats" and begin thinking "get hit then exp then haste - don't be scared of mastery or parry/dodge (not too much at least), only crit" because it causes so much confusion over gearing up, which could be avoided simply.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    @akrusLJ

Saying that haste vs mastery does not matter between 10 and 25 man is very close minded. Tanking is fundamentally different between 10 and 25 man and it favors different values.
    I've tanked both at heroic level, sitting at 14/16 heroic so far on both.....and it doesn't matter at all at the level the OP is at (not meant in an offensive way). If you want to min/max on every fight to achieve the top 100 etc then yeh swapping for fights will always be optimal and number crunching the weight values depending on the fight, ur gear and ur raids setup.

But for just a standard how to gear then go haste in 25 and 10 man. So my view isn't narrow minded, as I main 25 and my alt pally runs the 10.....and I've tried both ways on both raid sizes.....and overall haste will win (with the expection of leh shi)

So please don't assume that I don't know what I'm sayin.

Back to OP.....stick with haste....it's unlucky ur in a raid with lots of plate dps.....not much help we can do for that.
    Last edited by mmocf7b8106c06; 2013-01-02 at 03:37 AM.