Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

how disappointing do you think the 720 and ps4 will be powerwise?

all evidence so far show no signs of the 720 or ps4 being anywhere near the leap in tech the 360 and ps3 were compared to their former gen.

if i were to say where they were powerwise i would say they would be slightly more powerful than the wiiu.

so with all the people screaming next gen next gen next gen and the only platform that looks to be steadily increasing in power being pcs how disappointed do you think people will be when they realize that these systems arent going to give them that big leap they were expecting? and what "gimmick" do you think sony will be using to differentiate themselves when compared to the wiius controller and microsofts kinect 2.0
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

We've reached a cliff. Our programming knowledge is far behind the hardware. This is in part because of how video processor manufacturers do business. For them, always having to upgrade your hardware is a good business venture. There's a couple companies and individuals that have developed rendering software that DRAMATICALLY reduces the amount of hardware required to do the same effects. This is why there isn't a real need for the next generation console. They're still learning how to get more out of the old hardware we're using now.
    Also, I should mention, that consoles can run such high detail levels because they tailor the software specifically to the hardware. So, new hardware=new learning curve, and probably an unimpressive set of games(visually) at launch. Like the wii U is seeing. Once developers get more knowledge and time to work with the hardware, the quality will increase.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Deleted
    it's already been revealed the 'next-gen' consoles will still be far behind in terms of what PC's can currently offer.

So dissapointing. But we we're all expecting it anyway, so i guess not-so dissapointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    it's already been revealed the 'next-gen' consoles will still be far behind in terms of what PC's can currently offer.

So dissapointing. But we we're all expecting it anyway, so i guess not-so dissapointing.
    i guess i shouldve phrased the question differently. how badly do you think the complaining will be from the people who didnt see this coming?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i guess i shouldve phrased the question differently. how badly do you think the complaining will be from the people who didnt see this coming?
    Oh sorry i mis-understood. It'll be crazy (imo). Most of the console users will go straight into buying their new console upon release while doing next to no research at all, and expecting another jump in quality they got when they upgraded from a PS2/xbox to a ps3/360.

When they see this just won't be the case, they'll do what the majority of crazed consumers do and blame the companies rather than themselves.

it's a console how can i not be disappointed.

I wonder if there will be complaints about the jump from 30 FPS to 60 FPS causing nausea or tiredness, like there was with The Hobbit?

"No normal human can game at 60fps! It damages the brain!!!111"

Deleted
    If they can do 1080p @ 60 fps with no jaggies then thats all you need..

Any mid range gpu could do that easily for most games now so i doubt it will do less.

Honestly I'm glad they will stay behind. The more detail in the game, the bigger the budget has to be, and that budget will have to be compensated by larger prices and less risk like new ips (in other words you can expect more call of duty like franchises). Quite honestly it's not worth upgrading graphics at this point. I think the fact that so many developers have gone under this year is more than proof of this.

If the rumored business models are true than i'm done with them. Might just stick to Nintendo and PC.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It might be me, but in a world where computers are the best gaming tools and you can basically play it all for free with it, why would you spend 600€ in a machine (great one indeed, but still) and then pay 70€ per game, where you finish off each game in 1 day :/

But, back to the original tpic and leaving my opinion apart, I agree that powerwise it won't be a huge upgrade, but graphics and physics wise it sure will be. However, games like Codemasters F1 are really bad compared to Rfactor1, a 10 years old racing simulat which still owns any new F1 game.

I don't think you need more power ... better developer tools, more effective developement of games. Thats where you can do wonders.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    If the rumored business models are true than i'm done with them. Might just stick to Nintendo and PC.
    To be honest, I'm kind of glad I missed out on this generation of consoles, too many fucking clone games with little creativity, and business models trying to nickel and dime you for every little thing.

Corporatism in the gaming industry needs to fckin die in a fire, there's way too little risk taking atm, and c,reativity is being stiffled at alarming rates
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Pretty much what you said, at least nintendo does work with "lower power" hardwares but take advantage of their gimmicks instead which end up being fun to play with more people, enjoyed the Wii the first 2 years (mine broke up and games were kinda expensive in comparisson to pc, would've liked to crack it in order to play... you know, money isn't something i have at disposal), but that's pretty much it, I always wanted to play consoles a bit more than PC, right now I just love my pc.

PS: Already have my GTA Vice city on android hehe~

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    To be honest, I'm kind of glad I missed out on this generation of consoles, too many fucking clone games with little creativity, and business models trying to nickel and dime you for every little thing.

Corporatism in the gaming industry needs to fckin die in a fire, there's way too little risk taking atm, and c,reativity is being stiffled at alarming rates
    I agree. I mean just count how many Modern/space War games make up the industry. Then count the number of those games that are sequels.

Remember when games were creative and consoles would only release 1 or 2 direct sequals per generation? And don't even get me started on F2P or Digital downloading. They have terrible side-effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I don't think you need more power ... better developer tools, more effective developement of games. Thats where you can do wonders.
    Ehh, that can only go so far. No matter how optimized a game is, there will always be a hardware block after a certain point.
    Not to mention the sheer amount of bugs that may pop up just because of the optimization process.
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    It might be me, but in a world where computers are the best gaming tools and you can basically play it all for free with it, why would you spend 600€ in a machine (great one indeed, but still) and then pay 70€ per game, where you finish off each game in 1 day :/
    Lazy devs?
    "Multiplayer" keeps getting added for 'longevity', instead of making a fun game with content.

Well there is more to it, but people just seem to stop trying to different things.
    Look at the massive amounts of FPS. It is quite massive.
    Independent developers are more or less doing their own different things, which is really nice, however that doesn't really compare much to the marketing and hype the AAA companies get.

More or less on-topic.
    Disappointment for people who did no research? Yup.
    It's not like you're going to have a top line or remotely top line hardware for the price less than $400 or at the higher end $500. It's just not remotely possible.
    Unless they really decide to go nuts and start selling em for $1k+.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-12-30 at 08:08 PM.

Many great games are being overlooked by all of these AAA titles that lack any sort of charm and creativity. I hear of creative ideas at times like Watchdogs, but sadly it's lacking. Developers need to grow a backbone and try newer things. I understand that sequels sell but at some point you're gonna have to try something else. And frankly i hope the public embraces new idea's.
    Ones that can work if done correctly.

(I mean can you even guess what video-game my avatar is from? Heres a hint: It aired 100 Japanese commercials and took 10 yrs to develop):I

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are 10 year old hardware, and they still manage to look not a whole lot worse than PC games.

Games look great because of texture, animation, camera movement. Higher polygon counts and higher resolutions are least important.

PC's are an amzing example of technologically advanced hardware, and no software which utilises it. Kind of like a ferrari with no driver to drive it. 5 year old consoles with fully and totally optimised games, will for the most part not be far behind their high end PC counterparts.

I am afraid to say that the biggest problem in the gaming World is PC games NEVER fully utilising optimal PC power.

The Xbox 720 and PS4 when they come out, will have games looking far better than on any high end PC game we have at the moment because the software will be more developed to make better looking games.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Ehh, that can only go so far. No matter how optimized a game is, there will always be a hardware block after a certain point.
    Not to mention the sheer amount of bugs that may pop up just because of the optimization process.
    For me looking at current level of graphics ... I don't especially yearn for something better. Even games that are 5 years old are graphically on level I am comfortable with. The content on the other hand has still a long way to go. So for me, if the developers focused more on that ... I wouldn't mind that at all.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Define "Good Graphics" What makes a game look good graphics wise? If a game uses a different style does that mean it has poor graphics?

I mean just look at Wind Waker. every inch of the game is art. Does it have "bad graphics". Do we really need to improve on them?