Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, really, as far as RAM goes... It's so cheap, it's circumstantial.

1) If you have 8gb now, and want to get more, you probably don't need it
    2) If you are getting a new computer from the ground up, it certainly doesn't HURT to have 16gb. Maybe not help. It's so cheap, it doesn't even matter. What's another 8gb? $35?
    3) You're a mac owner. 8gb can run you $200. Now you know why people make fun of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    lol just for kicks i just did:

20 tabs of web pages
    Youtube video
    netfix video
    WoW
    SWTOR

Im sitting at 6.5gb's of usage

Ya.....id say 8gb's is enough lol
    20 just opened tabs wouldnt force a 2nd or 3rd plugin-container, idling cannot be compared w/ activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I've got;

Rift
    WoW
    N4S

All playing at once and still haven't hit my 8GB Cap. Course, my video card hates me atm XD but not my ram or processor.
    page file on or off? Again I hope you guys notice we are speaking of pagefile off and in terms of multitasking. So you can idle as many items as you want etc but even so w/ a pagefile on you have effectively atleast 12Gb of ram, more like 18~

Deleted
    8GB of ram is top-end amounts.

I have 16. Why? Because.

Milkshake you are missing the point entirely, no one does this shit!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I mean, really, as far as RAM goes... It's so cheap, it's circumstantial.

1) If you have 8gb now, and want to get more, you probably don't need it
    2) If you are getting a new computer from the ground up, it certainly doesn't HURT to have 16gb. Maybe not help. It's so cheap, it doesn't even matter. What's another 8gb? $35?
    3) You're a mac owner. 8gb can run you $200. Now you know why people make fun of you.
    RAM has become really cheap yeah. Along with storage. You can get 1-2 terabytes of storage for 70 euro.

Deleted
    Is 8GB enough for the average user/gamer? Yes

Are there exceptions? Yes

Will we all agree? no

Are you running out? buy 8 more

It's really that simple.

It's not true at all, my 2 years old machine with 4 gigs of RAM and a HD5800 series 1gb GPU is still running most new games on high/ultra settings in 1080p at a steady 45-60 FPS. Only two games I've had to scale down a bit were BF3 and Witcher 2. In short, you'll be fine.

I would, however, recommend more RAM than 4gb at this point, as my PC is starting to have some multitasking issues. I'll probably get another 4 gigs put in some time soon.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

8 GB is great for gaming. 16 GB is definitely great for gaming. The only reason I would suggest more ram is if you were playing minecraft or doing some high end editing.

If you have 8 thats good, if you want to get another 8 why the hell not? That and speed is really irrelevant, 1333/1600/1866 are all just about equal when it comes to performance. That said it is all cheap.

8 GB is enough. actually if your OS is 32bit you only use 3.5G.

from personal experience, there no visible difference between 16GB RAM and 8 GB RAM.

Deleted
    Once again thanks for all of the feedback!

If you go for 16GB ram, get it in 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB and you won't notice a performance drop.

<---- Currently sitting at 32GB RAM. Why? Because I wanted 4 dominators so the other 2 wouldn't feel lonely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    8 GB is great for gaming. 16 GB is definitely great for gaming. The only reason I would suggest more ram is if you were playing minecraft or doing some high end editing.
    Minecraft only uses about 500MB of ram base, sure you can assign more to it, but it still doesn't use up as much as other games.

I'm running only 4gigs of ram on windows 7 and I find even that plenty of ram. I can run 2 different games at the same time and its still smooth as butter. At 8 gigs, you allow windows to cache a bit more and you may notice a very slight performance boost. Anything above 8gigs is completely pointless though, unless your into heavy graphics design. Unless your upgrading the speed of the ram, I wouldn't bother going up to 16gigs at this point in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Minecraft only uses about 500MB of ram base, sure you can assign more to it, but it still doesn't use up as much as other games.
    With a high resolution texture pack its easy to push Minecraft upwards of 3GB using 64bit Java.

8 gigs should be plenty but it really depends on how you use your pc, i'm using about 10.4gig of ram atm with wow d3 pale moon(14 tabs) and chrome(6 tabs) as well as thunderbird pidgin vent mumble, but i run a dual monitor setup and constantly do other things while gaming so if you just open up a game and play even 4 gigs is fine normally.

I'd say 16 gigs is the norm now.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    I'd say 16 gigs is the norm now.
    4GB is still the most normal for gamers, although I'm sure 8GB comes pretty close.

You won't need more than 8GB of RAM, there's really no point in it unless you've got some money to throw out of the window/have some leftover RAM from other builds (Provided they're the same type).

There's really no futureproofing in buying more RAM, since we'll probably be moving away from DDR3 at the time the average gamer uses more than 8GB. (Like we moved away from DDR2 ~4-5 years ago.)

Edit: Yeah 8GB comes pretty close.

Last edited by inux94; 2012-12-31 at 05:32 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's only true when upgrading straight from Apply on your initial order...

I'm not aware of how their iMacs work but most mac laptops you can easily upgrade or replace ram on your own using any laptop memory kit...
    Last edited by Vinho; 2012-12-31 at 06:10 AM.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

If you are buying a new machine, I'd go with 16gb. Why? Because it's cheap, and you might not need it now, but you might in a year or 2. Add that I'd go with 2x8 instead of 4x4 because you might want/need more in the future.

2X8 would also be a bit faster than 4x4 and grant you more stable overclocks as well. Provided you stick them in slot 2 and 4 and not 1 and 2 or 1 and 3.