Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's been my experience with the Internet over the years that anonymity breeds douchebags. They are always around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Twisting Nether, one of the most crowded and active EU realms and it has been like that for as long as I can remember.
    It was close to impossible to know all the people and the famous ones where usually in one of the top10 guilds that did all runs with the guild anyway.
    Ah that realm. That is definitely one of the most crowded realms.

I can agree that a decent amount is due to nostalgia, but i think the point about the community is very valid. Nobody cares about being nice anymore. An example for me is that me and a friend recently created new alts and decided to just slowly level them. We ran into a player who didn't know how to do a quest (the one in mulgore where you have to feed the dog). We decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and not immediately assume he is a troll just trying to annoy us. He turned out to be completely new to the game. I feel sorry for this player if he ends up needing help later on and some asshole decides to tell him off and make fun of him for not knowing how to do something. This is the kind of thing I wish we would see more and at higher levels.

TLDR: Me and my friend actually had to think about being nice as we are so used to everybody in game being either an asshole or a troll.

P.S. I am enjoying the thread you linked btw. Thanks for it.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sanavi View Post
    It's been my experience with the Internet over the years that anonymity breeds douchebags. They are always around.
    Pretty true in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Yeah, there was the occasional douchebag. But LFR, LFD and CRZ gave them the massive playground they needed. I agree with OP. Game is better than before, the community just sucks.. or what's left of it.
    For me, LFR and LFD was very freeing. I no longer had to worry that I could gather the necessary people to do stuff, and could find people very quickly. Is part of what bothers folks the loss of social power? The ability to decide who could do dungeons and raids and who couldn't?

Blizzard has got to be the luckiest company in the universe. They make decisions that upset millions of players, lose millions of those players and then the remaining players turn on each other instead of the company. Can you imagine if coke did this? When coke changed the formula did everybody who drank coke turn on one other?

There will always be annoying people in-game. You are probably just seeing things through a warm and fuzzy nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses kind of way. There were bad times back then and there were good times. The bad times now are just more profound and etched in your mind because they're more recent.

Also, see my sig for a funny little list of the most annoying gamer types you come across in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the days of forming random groups with people on the server. I ended up finding quite a few random people to play with over the years during Vanilla and TBC many of which ended up joining the guild or our raids. Sure, it could take up to 10 minutes to get a group going, and you could just run into a terrible group. I would take all of the above over the reliable anonymous AOE stomp dungeons have been for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    There will always be annoying people in-game. You are probably just seeing things through a warm and fuzzy nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses kind of way. There were bad times back then and there were good times. The bad times now are just more profound and etched in your mind because they're more recent.

Also, see my sig for a funny little list of the most annoying gamer types you come across in WoW.
    Not only more recent, but happen so much more often. Yes, its probably due to more players, but i can guarantee you that it got incredibly worse the very patch that cross realm LFD was introduced.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

Deleted
    i dont remember TBC to be that much different then now about less pleasant people.
    heck even when they introduced LFD in wrath the overall attitude didnt change a lot.

sure it might have became a bit worse, but that was hardly noticeable

Deleted
    Community killers:
    LFG (Dungeon Finder)
    LFR (Raid Finder)
    Cross Realm Battlegrounds
    Cross Realm Zones
    Server Migration
    Faction Change
    Character Renames

Real ID was introduced too late.
    There should be one unique name/surname for all your characters on account. (For example: Legolas Norris, Légôlás Norris, Łegöláz Norris ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I understand that people are nostalgic, that's a good thing.
    But the problem is not just the community in my opinion, I always ask people the same question: "What are you doing against it?"
    Complaining on a forum is really easy, but if oh so many people agree than how come I hardly ever see people chat during LFR?

Last week I had a new experience: Humour and laughter in LFR!
    It might have been (fairly sure of it) that half the group was either drunk or working hard on it, but we had fun.
    We had near-wipes, random pulls and other nonsense, but it was still fun and I learned enough new dirty jokes.
    But do we really need alcohol before players start laughing?
    If we do than it is a sad time indeed.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel that the content itself isn't what makes the game bad, it's just the complete lack of community. Having pondered about the old times one too many times I came to the realization that I missed the players, not the content.

Thats just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    You ran BRC with the group from trade chat. You're level 53 and playing your first character and so are they. You have been in here for 2 hours and not even half way done. You might wipe a couple times, people make mistakes.
    If Blizzard only allowed people who had at least 5 hours to commit to the game to play it, you'd see a pretty big drop in playerbase. Especially today (I think free time is at more of a premium now than in 2007).

And with a game that is over 5 years old, pretty sure "first level 53" is pretty rare to come by now.

People appologize in chat and no one is getting kicked and people just laugh it off. An item drops, 3 people can use it. 1 person wins and the other two does not suddenly get the massive feel of entitlement over it and kick the winner.
    I don't see most pug groups go mad over 1-2 wipes... And most loot drama is caused by loot distribution that isn't random rolls, or obvious loot ninja/whoring...

Everyone on the server knew eachother, everyone had a rep for something they have done in the past and everyone knows how good of a person/player that guy standing afk in ironforge is.
    Is this necessarily a good thing?

Nobody gave a fuck if you did low damage, nobody cared if you sat in AV all day or raided naxx 7 days a week.
    Nobody gave a fuck if you got carried through Karazhan to free epix by some guild that needed a last dps.
    So this is a good thing when it happens. What about this culture of players expecting a carry, versus contributing? Maybe back then more players had the mentality that they should contribute, even if of course not everyone did identical DPS in the end. You can blame additional difficulty in encounters, a lot of mechanics get harder nowadays with low DPS (not just hard enrage timers). Fights are more of a sprint, less of a marathon (even the "battle for survival" fights are often tight DPS checks).

I sit now in my chair sipping on some rum'ncoke
    And as most people will say, staring through those rose-colored glasses.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2012-12-31 at 01:53 AM.

its too easy to disappear after being a dick, what we need is some way to hold people accountable, perhaps if the persons battle tag appeared by their name then they couldnt just switch to an alt or whatever.
    one thing we know from the internet is that anonymity can turn even good people into complete jackasses, in vanilla you had to group with people on your server, people you would more than likely run into them again, so you wouldnt be a jerk.
    the only real problem with cross realm and dungeon finder is that you probably wont run into these people again, so courtesy isnt very important. instead of helping a new player improve, you just kick him and get a better player. he's from a different server, you probably wont see him again and you wont get the satisfaction of seeing him improve.
    me personally, i always try help crappy players in dungeons, i've played pretty much every class so i can generally give tips on most classes. i dont bother if they're being a dick about it though. i gotta say that there isnt as much satisfaction in helping someone you will never see again.

another thing, i remember using my friend list a lot when i first started, not so much anymore, i think they need to make cross server chat available, and let people add other people though their battle tags.

Deleted
    There is obviously two major reasons lfd and that the game is already 8 years old.

It's more so the PuG additions to the game are being consistently lowered in difficulty. Communication was required back in the day where PuGs would be marking pulls in Deadmines. Now threat, mana and burst mechanics no longer exist in your average casual players content. No need to talk strategy, each pull is the same... aoe, aoe, aoe...

Community will only flourish when it is needed for communication. Best bet is join a guild and give in to some lame raiding roster which you'll attend for the first 2 weeks and then decide that video games should be played when you want to not when you have to.

Deleted
    In some way the part of the community that keeps bringing up "remember back in Vanilla" are kind of the reason why it's not good atm.

New players are slaughtered in party chats and city chats due to a "lack of understanding of their class". I've talked to a lot of players who started in Wrath or later, who feels it's rather difficult to be accepted as new players due to the "Vanilla Clan".

Not saying it's the only reason for a bad community but it definately doesn't help.

Deleted
    kukulcan13
    They already put in cross realm chat. Called Friends ID

OP Rant
    Selfish assholes that is 80% of the community these days are the complete opposite of what I described now.
    OP Rant
    Omg, what did the police say?
    Honestly, another one of these threads? Haven't we've seen plenty?
    First of all, I totally disagree with everything you have to say.

If you hadn't made one of these posts, we'd probably have a lot incommon though. But now you did, so my human nature makes me refuse any type of agreement with you.

The game is better than any other game out there. And Blizzard has proved that to us, more than once. More than twice. Hell, more than eight or nine times.
    This is what happens to a game when it grows old. And when the people who grow old with it, are replaced by a new playersbase.
    Some of the people playing right now couldn't even Walk or talk when it was released.
    The community grows old.

A multiplayer online game is not suppose to survive this long. Because this is what comes out of it.
    Personally, I have no issue with that. I enjoy the game to the same extent that I did 8 years ago. Aswell as the community.
    You just have to accept the fact, that the game changes, so does the people, and so do you.
    As a person, you grow out of it. Your personality changes, along with everyone elses.

To answer your mistaken PoV on x-realm releated stuff.
    It had to happen. It also plays a huge part in why the game survived for as long as it did, and currently is.

Long time since I took my precious time and threw it away on a rant post.
    But I like your signature, so you deserve some attention.
    Last edited by Crummy; 2012-12-31 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    Real ID was introduced too late.
    There should be one unique name/surname for all your characters on account. (For example: Legolas Norris, Légôlás Norris, Łegöláz Norris ...)
    Oh god that's the worst idea I've ever heard of. I'd have moved to another server every time someone started "stalking" me.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."