Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Worth Upgrading CPU?

So with Christmas just passing, I have a little surplus of cash that I would like to invest in my computer. I currently have:

CPU Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core

Motherboard ASRock H61M-VS Micro ATX LGA1155

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333

Storage Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB

Power Supply XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer

I was thinking of getting an I5 2500k CPU, to replace the I3 2120 ( I know I cannot overclock it with this Motherboard and will probably upgrade that in the summer)

Thoughts?

You would certainly see an improvement in speed and performance in games, but it won't be by a huge amount. If you cannot wait for Haswell, then go for it.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    You would certainly see an improvement in speed and performance in games, but it won't be by a huge amount. If you cannot wait for Haswell, then go for it.
    Haswell is not being developed as a performance upgrade. It is more RND for smaller mobile products, haswell afaik is a newer atom model w/ power closer to the first gen core I's. It is not an enthusiast segment chip, it is not meant to be, even Intel made a statement saying Sandybridge is 5 years ahead of the requirements we have w/ software, which is what put Intel into this power situation to be able to dump money into what will make billions more than core i5 and i7's, us gamers etc are not the mainstream public, but I'd be willing to bet APPLE's new iPad will love haswell.

I noticed that the I5-3570k is about $10 more than the I5- 2500k, would it be worth the extra 10 to just get that one instead?

No.
    For games, the only thing you will get is the turbo-function of the i5-2500K.
    Had you been able to overclock, might've been worth it. Since you can't, I can't imagine, for games, you would notice much of an increase at all.
    More cores mean nothing.

EDIT: i5 3570K would have you flash the motherboard's BIOS first as well. Would work fine afterwards, but it's an additional hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamanis View Post
    I noticed that the I5-3570k is about $10 more than the I5- 2500k, would it be worth the extra 10 to just get that one instead?
    Yes, but that's ONLY if you're willing to get a mobo upgrade, tbh. Your mobo will most likely not natively support the 3570k, as it's based on a older chipset platform, sadly. In your circumstances, the 2500k is probably going to be better.

So, the i5-3570k faster and its also more power efficient. The only potential problem that I'd worry about is that you will need an aftermarket cooler to OC it, just to be on the safe side, as the i5-3570k does run a bit hot. Bottom line - I'd do this upgrade if you mainly play games that are very CPU dependent, such as WoW.
    Last edited by Drakoes; 2012-12-31 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    Absolutely. Not only is the i5-3570k faster, but it's also more power efficient. The only potential problem that I'd worry about is that you will need an aftermarket cooler, just to be on the safe side, as the i5-3570k does run a bit hot. Don't let that put you off though
    I currently have Coolmaster Hyper 212 on my build, think that would keep it cool?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not save for a couple more months & do the Mobo + CPU at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    No.
    For games, the only thing you will get is the turbo-function of the i5-2500K.
    Had you been able to overclock, might've been worth it. Since you can't, I can't imagine, for games, you would notice much of an increase at all.
    More cores mean nothing.

EDIT: i5 3570K would have you flash the motherboard's BIOS first as well. Would work fine afterwards, but it's an additional hassle.
    What would be the first thing to upgrade in your opinion then?

The added heat is a miniscule addition, at most 3*°C at full load. Aftermarket coolers aren't more needed than before.
    Yes the Hyper 212 should work more than fine.

But again. You will not notice any difference in games.

I currently have Coolmaster Hyper 212 on my build, think that would keep it cool?

That would be fine, but I misread the chipset info on your mobo initially, so on second thoughts, I *might* refrain from getting it.

It might work on your mobo, but you'll need to see if there's a BIOS update that will allow your motherboard to support it, as yours is based on an older chipset that will not support these newer CPUs natively (I edited my original post to clarify on this). Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

I am using it aswell for my I7-2600K running at 4.6 GHz, never goes above 60 degrees, not even during several hours of Prime95.
    Great fan for it's pricetag.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

What would be the first thing to upgrade in your opinion then?
    An SSD. Or depending on what games you play, a better GPU. Or a bigger monitor, or better sound.

The i5-2500k will server you very well, it runs cooler and I honestly doubt power consumption is an issue these days when anyone can get 1k Watt PSUs from a store, which is still an overkill for SLI setups even.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    Yes, but that's ONLY if you're willing to get a mobo upgrade, tbh. Your mobo will most likely not natively support the 3570k, as it's based on a older chipset platform, sadly. In your circumstances, the 2500k is probably going to be better.

So, the i5-3570k faster and its also more power efficient. The only potential problem that I'd worry about is that you will need an aftermarket cooler to OC it, just to be on the safe side, as the i5-3570k does run a bit hot. Bottom line - I'd do this upgrade if you mainly play games that are very CPU dependent, such as WoW.
    I have an I5-3570K for a few months now.
    When i play WOW , my CPU is about 35 - 39°c
    When my pc is Idle my CPU is about 26°c

Im using the Enermax ETS-T40-TB cooler, huge cooler but ez to install and VERRY quiet

An SSD. Or depending on what games you play, a better GPU. Or a bigger monitor, or better sound.
    Most games I play are WoW, Skyrim, Portal games, and Prototype (Slowly building my PC game collection over Console ones)

As far as an SSD, anything you would recommend? My Monitor I don't think is an issue, 55' across with 1680 x 1050 resolution HD.

For the SSD, I'd recommend any of the following, depending on price and possibility even availability, as you haven't told us where you're from.

Samsung 830 or 840 Pro
    Crucial M4
    OCZ Vertex 4

Most games I play are WoW, Skyrim, Portal games, and Prototype (Slowly building my PC game collection over Console ones)

As far as an SSD, anything you would recommend? My Monitor I don't think is an issue, 55' across with 1680 x 1050 resolution HD.
    Then I would say you need a higher resolutioned monitor. The pixels must be in the sizes of a brick! :P
    SSDs, your motherboard is limited to sATA 3.0Gbps speeds, but you should get something that will see you usage should you upgrade again.
    OCZ Vector, Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Intel 320. Get something 120GB or larger. Will give you the most fluid upgrade you can get for your computer

I would guess that your gpu is holding you back more than your cpu currently, but you might want to wait till summer before you buy a gpu, because the next generation from ati and nvidia should be out then. So, either go for cpu + mobo upgrade (which wouldnt make a noticeable difference for a while) now or get something else, like an ssd.

Then I would say you need a higher resolutioned monitor. The pixels must be in the sizes of a brick!
    With reasonable viewing distance it should not matter though.
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2012-12-31 at 06:14 PM.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

55" 1680x1050 screen? Wow. How can you even use that withought your eyes hurting.
    Playing since 2007.