Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    @unclesilas, i didn't mean AAA titles, i mean rpgs like tales of vesperia star ocean etc, those never make it to pc.
    aaa titles i surely hope they at least try on.

The next xbox won't be coming in 2013, It will be 2014. The next playstation won't even be named playstation. And I doubt it will be out in 2013, probably same time as xbox.

The hardware is sadly being based off quad core boxes. It will be basically an i5 with 6gb of ram and a gtx 570 equivalent. They are pushing gimmick style gaming with the new systems like kinect. And basically turning the game consoles into home entertainment boxes that cover DVR / TV / Movie renting / Game renting, etc.

Nothing really revolutionary is being brought to the table.

EDIT: Microsoft understandably is milking the fuck out of xbox 360 considering they took losses on the system. I imagion they will take losses again for the new console. ( In order for the system to be profitable on JUST a console sale, it would have to be over 600 dollars )

Similar specs to a modern PC would suggest they are very powerful for consoles, graphics development will take a leap forward on both PC and Consoles as a result, current games will just look like their PC versions and the prices of these consoles would have to be unreasonably high compared to the Wii U which is based on outdated technology.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    So what is this going to mean for the price?
    Since microsoft never makes money on the actual system, they usually will price it around 299. I also imagion they will launch multiple versions of the console packages, one that comes with more goodies and probably will be at 399, and one that is going to be a discounted upfront cost around 199 or 150, but requires you to sign up for monthly payments, which in the end will cost 10-20% more then just buying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    So what is this going to mean for the price?
    100% this....are we going to see another PS3 launch where these things cost 600 bucks? i could care less how powerful the damn things are. the ps360 are at a good level now. could they look better? of course. they could look a WHOLE lot better but i think we are at a point in time where id rather take playability over flashy graphics.

I'm more concerned with the price than the hardware capabilities. It wouldn't have bothered me at all to remain on Playstation 1 / Nintendo 64 quality graphics and gameplay forever, so I don't really care about graphical improvements. But for me, the most appealing thing about console gaming is that it's a lot cheaper than computer gaming to maintain. You buy the system, you're done. It's the exact same quality as anyone else with the system, and no upgrades are required because every single game will, for a fact, work on it. So, I'd rather not have to pay the price of a new computer to get the new Playstation 4 or Xbox 720, or it kind of defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    It will be basically an i5 with 6gb of ram and a gtx 570 equivalent.
    That's even a bit better than my current PC. Seeing how consoles make much better use of their hardware than PCs I think a console with that kind of hardware will be just fine.

Rumor has it they will be using a similar hardware. From what i've found on google it's something like:

For the PS4:
    Custom AMD A8-3850 4-core that has a AMD HD 6550 GPU integrated.

GPU shows a OC'D AMD HD 7670 clocked at 1ghz and having 1gb GDDR5 vram.

Memory is anywhere from 8-16gb clocked at up to 8ghz depending on the type of ram used.

Xbox 720:

Based on a Dev Kit posted I only found that it has a Intel CPU and a Nvidia GFX card and 8+ gb of ram

Can't find anything solid aside from the above really but the following.

Possible 16-core CPU. Kinect(2) is supposed to be CPU intensive
    AMD 7xxx series (or similar) gfx card

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    That's even a bit better than my current PC. Seeing how consoles make much better use of their hardware than PCs I think a console with that kind of hardware will be just fine.
    With how much bloatware they keep shoving onto consoles they will need to beef up the hardware so all the "extras" won't cause slowdowns.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Consoles don't make much better use of their hardware, games are running at 1280x720 with no anti aliasing and a very narrow FoV aswell as lower quality textures.

The only reason developers are trying to squeeze as much as possible on consoles is because Microsoft & Sony aren't really willing to release a new line of consoles, The PS3 is a little over 7 years old for christs sake.

If you want a pure gaming machine these days all you'll need is an Intel i3-3220 paired with a 7850 & atleast 4GB of RAM, which will be able to run the latest games on high settings 1080p.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by TidesOfBlood View Post
    what a biased way to ask a question.

But yea, I agree with people that next gen. consoles cannot compete with computer games anymore given the state of technology in computers.

I also prefer keyboard>controllers any day. I still don't know how ppl can play COD on console with a controller...
    i wouldnt say its biased. theres alot of hype around the other consoles and i notice alot of people who only play consoles are expecting another leap like with the 360 and ps3 in fact im pretty surprised most people are agreeing with me here seeing as how everywhere else this conversation pops up alot of people are like "NO WAEYS TEH NEXTBOX WLL BEH BESTEST THING EVAR"

i admit i probably couldve phrased it better though
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I wonder if there will be complaints about the jump from 30 FPS to 60 FPS causing nausea or tiredness, like there was with The Hobbit?

"No normal human can game at 60fps! It damages the brain!!!111"

You mean I'm super human?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think we are a point where the next generation is going to succeed or fail based on the graphics chip choices. Nintendo has already opted for a mid to high end GPU with the Wii U (a revised design of AMD's 5870 graphics card which was a good one), however developers have attempted to approach the Wii U with the same development notions as the PS3 and 360 then they complained about CPU speed being too slow. It isn't the CPU that is going to matter next gen, not initially anyway, and probably won't matter for at least 3 or 4 years, but the GPU will matter greatly. Right now console versions of PC games are loading their CPU's to maximum levels in order to render the games properly. When developers start making games and focusing on maximizing the graphics card capabilities, then we will see just how long the next generation of consoles last.

CPU speed won't mean everything. Sony and Microsoft could easily opt for more enhanced versions of their current processors with more cache and using more memory, while bolstering their GPU to something more along the lines of a mid range card in current graphics processing technology and they would be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    You mean I'm super human?
    Then i'm a fucking alien, I like to play my LoL on 80+ fps :C

"The next xbox won't be coming in 2013, It will be 2014. " Microsoft already said Xbox 720 will be on sale for the 2013 holiday season. In part to how bad the Windows 8 sales have been. And a couple gaming mags/sites have said the xbox 720 will be up to 6x more powerful then the 360. Take that with a grain of salt but i could see it easily being 6x as powerful with the advances in cpu/gpu's over the past 7 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloredtoad View Post
    "The next xbox won't be coming in 2013, It will be 2014. " Microsoft already said Xbox 720 will be on sale for the 2013 holiday season. In part to how bad the Windows 8 sales have been. And a couple gaming mags/sites have said the xbox 720 will be up to 6x more powerful then the 360. Take that with a grain of salt but i could see it easily being 6x as powerful with the advances in cpu/gpu's over the past 7 years.
    I can say my pc is 1000 times more powerful than the xbox 720, why? because the specs haven't been revealed yet .-.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think we are a point where the next generation is going to succeed or fail based on the graphics chip choices. Nintendo has already opted for a mid to high end GPU with the Wii U (a revised design of AMD's 5870 graphics card which was a good one), however developers have attempted to approach the Wii U with the same development notions as the PS3 and 360 then they complained about CPU speed being too slow. It isn't the CPU that is going to matter next gen, not initially anyway, and probably won't matter for at least 3 or 4 years, but the GPU will matter greatly. Right now console versions of PC games are loading their CPU's to maximum levels in order to render the games properly. When developers start making games and focusing on maximizing the graphics card capabilities, then we will see just how long the next generation of consoles last.

CPU speed won't mean everything. Sony and Microsoft could easily opt for more enhanced versions of their current processors with more cache and using more memory, while bolstering their GPU to something more along the lines of a mid range card in current graphics processing technology and they would be fine.
    I wouldn't agree with this at all. The CPU is going to be a major concern from next year onwards. Look at games like Watch Dogs and GTA 5. The graphics only do so much, in the end, the CPU is what's going to be driving the massive number of AI's/interactive objects, massive open world and so on and so forth. Graphics can continually be improved on, but we're hitting a point at the moment where most people just don't care that much if they get significantly better shading/water/shadows. We'll be heading into the uncanny valley range quite soon. What people actually want are immersive worlds to play in. Imagine increasing the population of say Skyrim two fold and adding in more interactions/autonomous activities for the characters within that world. That's what people are fascinated by now: Being in a world with hundreds of other people, whether real or AI.

Like i said take it with a grain of salt....

I'm at a point where I don't care about the graphics as much as I used to. I'm tired of playing a generic clone game that is considered huge because its shinier than what it's emulating. I have no qualms playing games for another ten years with today's graphics as long as the game's story, play style, etc. are compelling and different. I'm tired of all the war games like CoD, I want something outside of the box or at least creative. That's just me though, I know a lot of people feel differently, but I for one am tired of all these sequels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Having read all 5 pages, I've come to the very conclusion I expected... Nobody actually knows.

This is more of a "PC is the master race! We beat ALL!" type of thread...
    No, it's the fact that companies keep prefering console games due to the high amount of selling numbers and then they try and do shitty ports, affecting computers, consoles will never get to a pinnacle of performance just because they're a stagnant hardware that will never be updated in it's lifespan.

It's not a "PC is the master race" issue, it's that console gaming is always getting behind of the pc, that's a fact.

Plus is a bit more complicated to see high quality indie games on consoles (not saying that there aren't)

I'd rather they not increase the visual capabilities and just increase the scale of things the systems can handle at one time. I'd much more enjoy games with current graphics but a larger world rendered. I really can't stand how every game I play, you can see that the world isn't rendered past 30-50 ft of your character, like in Skyrim. The popup from that knocks me out of my disbelief. It would also be nice to see sandbox games that don't just render pedestrians and vehicles based on where you are and then delete them once they are out of your proximity. I'd like to see GTA 6 or Saint's Row 4 have cars and pedestrians either rendered 100% of the time as if they have their own lives and are unique individuals or, at the very least, render them for double the amount of time they are now.