Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Sarcasm comes accross bad. Thats my point. But with no cuts whose going to pay for it. We cant run the country the way its going now. We either raise taxes.and become europe or we end entitlements. We cant have it both ways we cant afford it.
    You do make a pretty good point -- that we can't have it both ways.

Personally, I'm fine with the tax cuts going away. It may hurt some people who are struggling, but the less money you make right now the lower the effect you will actually see on your taxes. I'd say there is no perfect solution, but from the articles OP linked it doesn't sound like there is really a "good" solution either. There are ramifications either way. What I do know is that I would love for our government to start working toward getting our deficit under control. Our nation can't keep going with tacking on debt upon debt.

From what I read from another article, it seems that all they are doing is kicking the can down the road til 2015. Just extending deadlines for another couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    And by the numbers its true, it just doent get you any votes. These people dont care what happens to the country as long as they get reelected. People are becoming blind in this country by career polititians. They cant think for themselves. They dont care about facts all they care about is how am i effected. By the end of this presidential term we have.a chance.to become greece because our elected officials only care that they will be reelected.
    I can't say that I want taxes to go up across the board like has been described, but I can certainly agree that career politicians are causing some serious problems. In all honesty, I felt like the presidential election this year, especially in the debates, the candidates tried to appeal to emotion just to get votes more than they actually tried to explain fixing any actual real problems. Unfortunately, too many people vote on emotion instead of thought and objective views.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anowyn View Post
    What I do know is that I would love for our government to start working toward getting our deficit under control. Our nation can't keep going with tacking on debt upon debt.
    The best way to get our deficit under control is by lowering the unemployment rate and getting people back to work. Going over the cliff will only increase unemployment and lengthen our economic recovery.

The Democrats are demanding higher taxes on the rich, which the vast majority of the country agrees with, and the Republicans are demanding deep spending cuts to social services. In reality, we need a little of both.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    The Democrats are demanding higher taxes on the rich, which the vast majority of the country agrees with, and the Republicans are demanding deep spending cuts to social services. In reality, we need a little of both.
    Taxation of some of the mega-churches couldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Anowyn View Post
    I can't say that I want taxes to go up across the board like has been described, but I can certainly agree that career politicians are causing some serious problems. In all honesty, I felt like the presidential election this year, especially in the debates, the candidates tried to appeal to emotion just to get votes more than they actually tried to explain fixing any actual real problems. Unfortunately, too many people vote on emotion instead of thought and objective views.
    If they explained how to fix it and won, nothing would have happened anyway. Democratic Senate + GOP House = Permanent Gridlock. All that would happen if they explained anything would be in 1-2 years the other party would scream his plan is not working (because no one in Congress is), vote my party in 2014.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Taxation of some of the mega-churches couldn't hurt either.
    Along with the legalization and taxation of things like marijuana, prostitution, etc...
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    From what I read from another article, it seems that all they are doing is kicking the can down the road til 2015. Just extending deadlines for another couple of years.
    Pretty much the mantra of our government.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    This is obviously a step in the right direction. Those who benefit the most should not be contributing the least.
    Did you fail math? Paying 200k is more than paying 2000.

Still amazes me he refuses to cut spending while telling us to cut our spending.

"Taxation of some of the mega-churches couldn't hurt either. "

Why doesnt google or ge pay taxes? Why do foundations and charities who makes billions not pay taxes? Why dont nfl, nba, pga and other sports organizations pay corp income taxes (they are non profit)?

Obama left open all the loop holes romney was talking about and sticking it to the middle class

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    So CNBC just tweeted:

"BREAKING: The U.S. will go over the fiscal cliff tonight. "
    https://twitter.com/CNBC

Quote Originally Posted by Shâréz View Post
    So CNBC just tweeted:

"BREAKING: The U.S. will go over the fiscal cliff tonight. "
    https://twitter.com/CNBC
    Apparently some Republicans went into revolt over Obama's midday "message of confrontation".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2388980.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Apparently some Republicans went into revolt over Obama's midday "message of confrontation".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2388980.html
    Oh what the fuck republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Oh what the fuck republicans.
    It's really weird because if ever there was a time for some bipartisan feelgoodery, this was it. You know, come together for the greater good and all that?

I don't think this is the time for hurt feelings.

Of course Obama will make jabs; I'd imagine his supporters would consider him remiss if he didn't.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-12-31 at 09:22 PM.

It's really weird because if ever there was a time for some bipartisan feelgoodery, this was it. You know, come together for the greater good and all that?

I don't think this is the time for hurt feelings.
    I'm just going to say it, and I know its going to bring up a bunch of "bias!11!" posts but seriously, the GOP is the biggest fucking problem in our government.

I'm just going to say it, and I know its going to bring up a bunch of "bias!11!" posts but seriously, the GOP is the biggest fucking problem in our government.
    Actually, they come in a very close second to the Democrats, but the dems win it. Sorry.

No no no, they're not. They are a force for good in so many ways. I think we're in a big mess that this single event isn't going to rectify, but taxes going up on almost all Americans is not good, not going to help matters. We need a deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Did you fail math? Paying 200k is more than paying 2000.

Still amazes me he refuses to cut spending while telling us to cut our spending.

"Taxation of some of the mega-churches couldn't hurt either. "

Why doesnt google or ge pay taxes? Why do foundations and charities who makes billions not pay taxes? Why dont nfl, nba, pga and other sports organizations pay corp income taxes (they are non profit)?

Obama left open all the loop holes romney was talking about and sticking it to the middle class
    It's obvious, by your reply, that you are the confused one with poor math skills. Re-read what I said. Hint: you might need to be less narrow-minded.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking News:

<Toilet Flush sound>

Republicans announced they are now moving to vote on other bills and that will be the only thing they voting on rest of the day

10+ Year Old Account
    It goddamn better be.
    No no no, they're not. They are a force for good in so many ways. I think we're in a big mess that this single event isn't going to rectify, but taxes going up on almost all Americans is not good, not going to help matters. We need a deal.
    Tell me one good thing they've done.

I believe that there does need to be some sort of 'floor' in place for the standard of living in this country, and I believe that we can do much to raise this floor. The problem is that much of the projected expenses in the future come from having to care for all of the sick people in this country. Radical measures need to be taken in order to improve the health of this nation. How are we supposed to impose more personal responsibility on people?

For years I lived in a community where almost everyone was receiving food assistance from the government. Every time I would go to the grocery store I would see people loading up their carts with junk food, soda and ridiculous quantities of red meat with perhaps a single vegetable. The way I see it, the government is paying these people to kill themselves (nutritionally) or guaranteeing that their probability of developing health problems goes up substantially.

A real solution would be one where we would be telling people that they can't have everything that they want without having to pay for it, the problem is that people will vote out a politician that says that and replace him with somebody that promises the moon.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn