Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Calling all chefs!

So I love to cook hamburgers and try to invent new flavors. There is one thing that I can't seem to figure out though. No matter what I do, there is just way too much grease and it ruins the burger because it's way too greasy. What are your tips to cooking hamburgers on the stove top so they're not a greasy mess?

Buy leaner ground beef.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    So I love to cook hamburgers and try to invent new flavors. There is one thing that I can't seem to figure out though. No matter what I do, there is just way too much grease and it ruins the burger because it's way too greasy. What are your tips to cooking hamburgers on the stove top so they're not a greasy mess?
    What quality of hamburger meat are you getting?

And dont use any oil or butter.

Use a different mix of beef, one that has less fat. I'm guessing you're using an 85/15 beef? Try a 90/10.

What are you mixing into the meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Buy leaner ground beef.
    This.

Higher quality meat, do you CLEAN your grill? Also, depends on what you're adding into the hamburgers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    What quality of hamburger meat are you getting?
    Not sure, I usually just use what my roommate picks up.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    And dont use any oil or butter.

I used to use butter and thought that was the problem. So I stopped using any oil or butter and no luck. It might just be because I need a leaner meat like others have said already.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    This.

Higher quality meat, do you CLEAN your grill? Also, depends on what you're adding into the hamburgers as well.
    Fat content isn't related to quality, though. Maybe the word 'quality' means something else here?

buy a stove top grill with channels in it for grease.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    buy a stove top grill with channels in it for grease.
    That looks pretty neat.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    What Shaetha said, get Beef that is leaner (less fat).

Depending on where you are in the world and what animals they grind down for this "ground beef" you could also pick beef from specific animals and parts of those animals. Usually stay away from anything pork or porkrelated when you pick the animal since it tends to be greasier and fattier compared to more lean and large animals, usually beef type cattle.

If you can buy meat and grind it yourself then do that. That way you know what you get instead of the surprise pack in store that can more or less be a mix of this, that and the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to remember, that if you are frying your burger in a frying pan, it is literally cooking in its own juices.
    Even if you use extra lean ground beef, it will still be a greasy mess.

You need a stove-top grill, like the one darenyon posted, or something like a George Foreman grill, to cook one indoors.
    Alternatively, you could use an outdoor grill (i.e. a barbecue.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Not sure, I usually just use what my roommate picks up.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 09:46 PM ----------

I used to use butter and thought that was the problem. So I stopped using any oil or butter and no luck. It might just be because I need a leaner meat like others have said already.
    Maybe you should start by fucking KNOWING the ingredients you're working with.
    Just a little tip.

Get a ceramic pan. Doesnt need to be greased up.

Also, stop trying to sound pretentious, you're mixing meat and spices. You arent inventing flavours.
    Pro tip though, if you like cheese: mix your meat with your spices of choice and grated cheese. The cheese will melt prefectly and you dont have any of the mess.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Fat content isn't related to quality, though. Maybe the word 'quality' means something else here?
    Except it is. Quality beef usually has less fat in it whereas the cheap meat is riddled with it.

Get beef with less fat, and don't drench it in oil. If you can, buy a portable grill of some kind, for me I find that it's way better to grill it rather than fry it.

Deleted
    If you're frying the burger to wast (i.e to much heat), you can ruin it as well.
    Having it to fry a bit more slow could make it better.

Have you considered just browning the meat, then drop it in the oven for some time?
    I oftenly do that, and I find it more tasty that way as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheap ground beef can have a fat content as high as 25-30% (by weight). Ideally, I aim for 95% lean ground sirloin or better and use a good non-stick skillet. If you don't have one at your disposal, you can apply a thin film of canola oil with a paper towel to help prevent sticking when the burger first hits the pan. Some may prefer using grill pans for stovetop burgers but I don't care for them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by lollze View Post
    Except it is. Quality beef usually has less fat in it whereas the cheap meat is riddled with it.
    That's only a common correlation, but that doesn't mean that having more fat means that it is lesser quality. Ground beef using fine cuts of meat mixed in with very fatty cuts from the same cows is still high quality, but also very fatty.
    Quote Originally Posted by lollze View Post
    Maybe you should start by fucking KNOWING the ingredients you're working with.
    Just a little tip.

Get a ceramic pan. Doesnt need to be greased up.

Also, stop trying to sound pretentious, you're mixing meat and spices. You arent inventing flavours.
    Pro tip though, if you like cheese: mix your meat with your spices of choice and grated cheese. The cheese will melt prefectly and you dont have any of the mess.
    Funny, you're the one acting pretentious. He's just like "I like cooking burgers and I like to invent new flavors." He doesn't mean he's making revolutionary flavors for other people to enjoy around the world, he means he likes to try to create flavors that are new to him.

Also, I would advise heavily against mixing cheese into your meat in such a manner. I would use larger chunks because in my experience, grated cheese tends to disperse too much. If you do do this, don't get finely grated, try to find the largest grated cheese available.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-12-31 at 10:32 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    @lollze: agreed, nothing pretentious or secret about cooking, family had food industry biz's for years, I dislike when people act like they are all that in a kitchen...basic. applied. chemistry.
    That said, nothin wrong with having a good time with it

OT: yah, I will echo all other replies and suggest lower fat content in said beef. Commercial pressed burgers are made for specific use. Some do well on the bbq and not in a pan where as others are made for the pan/flattop grill, getting the right one if buying premades is a smart move.

You know this could be a very short thread...but as an interesting and fun exercise: what's everyone do in their home built burger pattys?
    I tend to dice up bacon and work it into the burger so it's taste is better then just bacon on top (easier to eat too)
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Also going for lamb or if you can get it vension makes tasty burgers with hardly any grease.