Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Building a new computer but don't want to buy a new OS

Hello, i plan on buying a completely new computer http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=25214927

But what i also planned on doing is backing up all the files and programs i need from my current hard drive then wiping everything but the OS from it and i want to use it for my new computer so i don't need to buy a new OS. I have Windows 7 professional, and i was reading around to try and solve my concerns myself but it ended up not helping as it just made me unsure of what i would need to do.

So i'm asking you guys if its in anyway possible to do what i'd like since from what i read if you change the motherboard and processor it makes the OS not work even if its on the same hard drive. I'm not sure if that's correct or if it is if there's a way around it.

Nah, it works fine - you might need to phone Windows but, I didn't need to when I bought mine, and have used it on 2 PCs - I think you can use it on a maximum of 3... (I've technically installed it on 3 hard drives).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

It is highly recommended to reinstall Windows with any new build. You will have more issues without reinstalling. Secondly that build is a little over the top if this machine is just for gaming and it is missing a video card.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

I already bought the video card, its for gaming video editing among other things.

I'm fine with reinstalling i was just afraid it would be more devastating if i uninstalled than couldn't reinstall it rather than keeping it on it and it not working.
    Last edited by darcrular; 2012-12-31 at 09:27 PM.

Deleted
    Windows 8 is cheap, build it into your upgrade. If you change the mobo you'll almost certainly need to do a re-install anyway.

I am not a fan of Windows 8. I just want to make sure if i do uninstall it and reinstall i won't encounter any licence problems or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just something to note that Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0001 hdd you picked wont work without a proper sas controller such as these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simply wipe everything, including the OS, and use your current windows 7 dvd and license key. There shouldn't be any issues whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    First why would you buy a micro atx mobo for a standard atx sized case? You have no GFX card selected. Why the USB bracket seeing the case ahs 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front unless you aren't planning on using them? That SSD is a piece of crap in comparison to the Crucial or older Samsung models and it's more expensive. Why the 3770k when the 3570k is about a hundred less and works just about the same? Why would you pay all this extra cash and then cheapen out when it comes to the OS? I would just install the windows you have now and use the same product key.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Just something to note that Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0001 hdd you picked wont work without a proper sas controller such as these.
    This. And if you are going SAS get a 10k or 15k RPM drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta ask, is the SAS intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    First why would you buy a micro atx mobo for a standard atx sized case? You have no GFX card selected. Why the USB bracket seeing the case ahs 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front unless you aren't planning on using them? That SSD is a piece of crap in comparison to the Crucial or older Samsung models and it's more expensive. Why the 3770k when the 3570k is about a hundred less and works just about the same? Why would you pay all this extra cash and then cheapen out when it comes to the OS? I would just install the windows you have now and use the same product key.
    As i said above i already bought a graphics card. But i am glad i posted this as i want feedback such as this before i buy everything, the reason i chose the 3770k was because its i7 not i5, not that it means much but i wanted to go as high as i could it also had good reviews for overclocking hence i bought the watercooling system for it. Personally i know nothing about ssd's so if you have a recommendation of a good one thats 120-240gb i would be grateful. As for the USB bracket i watched the newegg video for the case it and it said the 3.0 usb's aren't functional without one or something similar to that the idea was the video recommended you get one so i did since they are really cheap. Why did i get a micro motherboard? Sadly because the full size of that motherboard was discontinued on newegg but i liked the specs so i figured i'd just get the new best thing. But now that you brought it up i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130660 for an alternative motherboard. What do you think? As for your last remark on spending. I am indeed spending alot of this pc but i'm not made of money i been saving for months, and i don't want to spend an extra $140 on something i might not have too.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I gotta ask, is the SAS intentional?
    No actually. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148784 This is my new choice - approve?

10+ Year Old Account
    3770k was because its i7 not i5, not that it means much but i wanted to go as high as i could
    Do you entirely understand what the difference between "i5" and "i7" implies? I know you do graphical work of... some kind? But the benefits aren't that great, especially if:
    i'm not made of money
    It just seems like you're spending a LOT of money on a system that doesn't need to cost nearly that much. It's one thing to get something worthwhile and good, it's another to throw money at the 'best' with little positive results.
    and i don't want to spend an extra $140 on something i might not have too.
    That's sort of already the case. What exactly do you do? Unless you actually do professional editing or something, it's not worth spending THAT much on a system like that.I
    No actually. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148784 This is my new choice - approve?
    I guess my next question is, are you stuck on Enterprise drives? If you just need a 1TB SATA drive, there are $80 options that are pretty much just as good.

Do you entirely understand what the difference between "i5" and "i7" implies? I know you do graphical work of... some kind? But the benefits aren't that great, especially if:

It just seems like you're spending a LOT of money on a system that doesn't need to cost nearly that much. It's one thing to get something worthwhile and good, it's another to throw money at the 'best' with little positive results.

That's sort of already the case. What exactly do you do? Unless you actually do professional editing or something, it's not worth spending THAT much on a system like that.I

I guess my next question is, are you stuck on Enterprise drives? If you just need a 1TB SATA drive, there are $80 options that are pretty much just as good.
    i# is the number of core more cores = more processing, which leads to your next question yes i am doing professional editing hence i wanted as many cores as i could get within a similar price range.

Spending some extra money on hardware isn't in the same category as buying a new OS, its not just about the money in a sense. Its what the money is aimed at, trying to avoid redundancy.

Lastly, i don't know a lot about hard drives/ SSD's so i had/have no idea what to look for for SSD i figured out a better option for me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147191 cheaper and better quality. But for Hard Drives i didn't even know the difference between Desktop and Enterprise Hard Drives, but i took the liberty to educate myself after you mentioned it - which leads me to saying no i am not stuck on getting enterprise in fact, it wouldn't even be optimal to get enterprise for what i will end up doing on my computer.
    Last edited by darcrular; 2012-12-31 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darcrular View Post
    As i said above i already bought a graphics card. But i am glad i posted this as i want feedback such as this before i buy everything, the reason i chose the 3770k was because its i7 not i5, not that it means much but i wanted to go as high as i could it also had good reviews for overclocking hence i bought the watercooling system for it. Personally i know nothing about ssd's so if you have a recommendation of a good one thats 120-240gb i would be grateful. As for the USB bracket i watched the newegg video for the case it and it said the 3.0 usb's aren't functional without one or something similar to that the idea was the video recommended you get one so i did since they are really cheap. Why did i get a micro motherboard? Sadly because the full size of that motherboard was discontinued on newegg but i liked the specs so i figured i'd just get the new best thing. But now that you brought it up i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130660 for an alternative motherboard. What do you think? As for your last remark on spending. I am indeed spending alot of this pc but i'm not made of money i been saving for months, and i don't want to spend an extra $140 on something i might not have too.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 02:51 PM ----------

You have definitely overspent by more than 140$. If i was spending that kind of money on a computer but had no idea how to choose computer parts i would just use one of the guides here. Theres lots of things you could cut down on here, like the processor, not necessary. You have an 1tb hardrive your trying to buy for 150$ when you can grab one for 80$ Is that 180$ case really necessary? probably not can cut off 80$ easy from that. More money does not equal better.
    Last edited by skatblast; 2012-12-31 at 10:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i# is the number of core more cores = more processing
    Incorrect. It does not mean more cores. It means Hyperthreading, which is more threads, which does not necessarily mean more processing. Very few programs benefit from it, and even then it's not all that great. Hopefully you've done your research and actually checked to see if the programs you use actually support HT. More does not always equate to better. And certainly not worth $100+.

The Samsung 840 is a great SSD (I just got the 830 myself about 2 months ago, the 840s were still too pricey). However you will DEFINITELY need more than 64gb. 128 is pretty much the norm now. I personally got the 250, and even then I've got like 20gb left.

Incorrect. It does not mean more cores. It means Hyperthreading, which is more threads, which does not necessarily mean more processing. Very few programs benefit from it, and even then it's not all that great. Hopefully you've done your research and actually checked to see if the programs you use actually support HT. More does not always equate to better. And certainly not worth $100+.

The Samsung 840 is a great SSD (I just got the 830 myself about 2 months ago, the 840s were still too pricey). However you will DEFINITELY need more than 64gb. 128 is pretty much the norm now. I personally got the 250, and even then I've got like 20gb left.
    Fair enough but i originally caved into only getting a 64gb so i could exclusively put my OS on it. Idk if i want to get a larger one for other important programs yet.

i# is the number of core more cores = more processing, which leads to your next question yes i am doing professional editing hence i wanted as many cores as i could get within a similar price range.
    Core i# does not mean the number of cores on the die.
    Nehalem based Core i7's have a maximum of 6 cores, and only in the 9xxx series. Sandy Bridge i7's also cap out at 6 cores.

So the next question is, how much of your software is actually going to take advantage of those cores?

The bottom line is you're foaming at the mouth to pay for a Ferrari or Lamborghini while living on a mountain road where the speed limit is 45.
    You're paying for no measurable performance gain, and in my opinion, doing so from ignorance. I don't mean this to be insulting, I just hope you understand that you do *not* need these sort of parts to do what you want to do quickly and efficiently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough but i originally caved into only getting a 64gb so i could exclusively put my OS on it. Idk if i want to get a larger one for other important programs yet.
    If you get an SSD, all programs will go on it. Period. So plan to get a drive that will fit all programs.

If you get an SSD, all programs will go on it. Period. So plan to get a drive that will fit all programs.
    I am getting a normal hard drive for (all programs) I can't afford to put all my programs on a SSD or i'd need to go into the 257GB - 512GB category and i can't afford that as i said. But moving up to a 128gb is definitely something reasonable that i can do.