10+ Year Old Account

Is this a good computer for me?

HI, starting college soon, and i need a computer that will play all games on medium, and wow on max with at least 40fps. It needs to be a laptop so i can haul it around. I know i know, id prefer a desktop, but i need a laptop.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Valky..._Gaming_Laptop

Is that good for what i want. If you know of a better laptop for cheaper pls link. thanks

id like it to be a 17 inch screen.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2013-01-01 at 12:08 AM.

I'd drop the i7 for an i5, put a SSD in there. Other than that looks like a beast of a laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I'd drop the i7 for an i5, put a SSD in there. Other than that looks like a beast of a laptop.

It wont let me get an i5 its preset to i7. is that a problem?

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 06:50 PM ----------

I replaced the main hard drive with an 120 GB ADATA S510 SSD Single Drive
    Read: 550MB/s ; Write: 510MB/s

and then put in a 500 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive for my other stuff besides wow and my operating system.

ill have to stick with an i7 though. brings the price up to 1500

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    It wont let me get an i5 its preset to i7. is that a problem?
    It's not a 'problem'.. just wasted money. It only lets you pick i7 because it's an i7 only laptop. Pick one of their i5 laptops. Cheaper, better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres only one i5 id buy and its 15 inch screen and an inferior gpu. Ill have to stick with an i7 i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres only one i5 id buy and its 15 inch screen and an inferior gpu. Ill have to stick with an i7 i guess.
    I guess if a marginally better GPU is worth $400 to you. The 650 can certainly play your requirements.

Deleted
    HI, starting college soon, and i need a computer that will play all games on medium, and wow on max with at least 40fps.
    LOL'd so hard. Gosh, people NEED so much nowadays. Here lemme fix it for you:

"HI, starting college soon, and i need a computer that will allow me to browse the internet, compose essays, write assignments and prepare presentations. All in all I need a machine that allows me to be productive."

Back on-topic I think everyone else has pretty much covered hardware-wise on your needs.

People tend to forget on this website that i7's are still superior processors over i5's.

If money is no issue, get an i7. Granted though, you are paying quite a bit extra for something hardly noticable.

SSD was good advice, laptop battery will last longer, be cooler and is a huge gain in speed for basically everything you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I guess if a marginally better GPU is worth $400 to you. The 650 can certainly play your requirements.
    The other ones are either a 15 inch screen or have an integrated gpu. Do you know of another site then?

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    LOL'd so hard. Gosh, people NEED so much nowadays. Here lemme fix it for you:

"HI, starting college soon, and i need a computer that will allow me to browse the internet, compose essays, write assignments and prepare presentations. All in all I need a machine that allows me to be productive."

Back on-topic I think everyone else has pretty much covered hardware-wise on your needs.
    If im paying for something ill need whatever i want. Im not buying this computer just for school...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post
    People tend to forget on this website that i7's are still superior processors over i5's.
    If money is no issue, get an i7. Granted though, you are paying quite a bit extra for something hardly noticable..
    Huh? i7s are really not superior. That's like saying having a 5th wheel in your trunk makes your car go faster than someone who doesnt.
    i7 will serve no purpose, outside of costing extra, and running hotter.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 04:03 PM ----------

The other ones are either a 15 inch screen or have an integrated gpu.
    I didn't realize 17" was a requirement (since it wasnt)

Since it is, that may be your only choice, at least from that website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? i7s are really not superior. That's like saying having a 5th wheel in your trunk makes your car go faster than someone who doesnt.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 04:03 PM ----------

I didn't realize 17" was a requirement (since it wasnt)

Since it is, that may be your only choice, at least from that website.
    sorry i should have mentioned that.

Not at all.

There are a wide variety of tasks that i7's will perform significantly better than i5's.

The i7 is a superior chip.

The OP doesnt seem to have a budget problem and since he wants it for college work it wouldnt be unreasonable to suggest that he will get performance gains opting for a better chip. Depends on what type of college work he will be doing with it.

People on MMO-C have got into a bad habit of getting stuck into their brains that because i7's dont show a significant performance in WoW, that they are an equal chip.......

Well they arent........they are superior.

Ta Da !

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a wide variety of tasks that i7's will perform significantly better than i5's.
    The i7 is a superior chip.
    People on MMO-C have got into a bad habit of getting stuck into their brains that because i7's dont show a significant performance in WoW, that they are an equal chip.......
    Well they arent........they are superior.
    Ta Da !
    There are actually quite FEW tasks i7's perform better, and even then, those few things don't have a very good benefit. There are a select few (literally a handful) that actually benefit worth cost, and those are things that almost nobody on here does (professional rendering, no, not 'I do animation', actual 100 hour renders, and autocad). And some even worse. Your information goes against actual benchmarks and testing. People on MMOC have a habit of getting factual information stuck in their brains, rather than 'hurr, big numbers R better'.

i7's show no peformance increase in wow. They are superior in price only, in that regard.

Do some actual research before calling people out.

There are actually quite FEW tasks i7's perform better, and even then, those few things don't have a very good benefit. There are a select few (literally a handful) that actually benefit worth cost, and those are things that almost nobody on here does (professional rendering, no, not 'I do animation', actual 100 hour renders, and autocad). And some even worse. Your information goes against actual benchmarks and testing. People on MMOC have a habit of getting factual information stuck in their brains, rather than 'hurr, big numbers R better'.

i7's show no peformance increase in wow. They are superior in price only, in that regard.

Do some actual research before calling people out.
    I did. And if you had read a bit better i already mentioned the i7's dont perform significanlty better in WoW.

If the OP wants the best chip for college work and video editing and recording (including recording WoW and other games) then he is better off with an i7.

Is it worth the extra money for the performance increase? No, probably not. But it is still the superior chip, even in gaming (albeit only by 1-2 frames per second).

10+ Year Old Account
    If the OP wants the best chip for college work and video editing and recording (including recording WoW and other games) then he is better off with an i7.
    still nope. He never mentioned those. A lot of people (like you) assume that, being able to afford something means you SHOULD buy it. He isn't better off with an i7 (at least as far as the CPU goes. an i7 may be the only choice with a 17" laptop, but that's circumstantial). Being a 'superior' chip doesn't make it a better one, or worth the money to get. An extra several hundred bucks is NOT worth 1-2 frames.

still nope. He never mentioned those. A lot of people (like you) assume that, being able to afford something means you SHOULD buy it. He isn't better off with an i7 (at least as far as the CPU goes. an i7 may be the only choice with a 17" laptop, but that's circumstantial). Being a 'superior' chip doesn't make it a better one, or worth the money to get. An extra several hundred bucks is NOT worth 1-2 frames.
    What do you mean still nope?

Are you trying to say that an i5 can keep up with an i7 when recording and playing games at the same time?

How about everyday useage of things like zipping files? You are saying an i7 is no better than an i5?

The ONLY point i am trying to make is that the i7 is the superior chip. Something that you have now ackowledged, having changed your original opinion. I've already said that they probably arent worth the extra price you pay for such performance gains, but that is something the OP can decide for himself.

The i7 remains the superior chip, and ill repeat....Is it worth the money you pay for the "extra"? The answer is it depends on what you are using it for.

If the OP places a large amount of importance on recording gameplay and videoediting and do things for college like zipping large files for backup on a regular bases or other such tasks, then he WILL benefit by using an i7. Depending on how much of these things he is doing, he could save minutes of sitting around waiting.

If cash is not a concern, it is pointless to get an inferior product.

Some people DO have cash to burn and thus telling them to buy an inferior product is bad advice.

If you can afford that kind of money, I'd have to say go for it. That is a really nice laptop and will do anything you want and more now and into the future. It will play other games than WoW on at least high settings. My HP with an AMD A8-3500M APU with integrated Radeon HD6620G graphics can play most anything on a mix of medium and high settings and only cost me $599 a year ago. They now have the newer models with the A10 APU's and you can get one that also has a dedicated GPU and a 17 inch screen for a lot less than the price you're looking at. (easily under $900). Will they perform as well as that one you want? Of course not but they will get the job done. I sometimes go over 100fps in WoW using DX11 but mostly everything set on fair so that machine you're considering would be a beast.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2013-01-01 at 12:54 AM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    If you can afford that kind of money, I'd have to say go for it. That is a really nice laptop and will do anything you want and more now and into the future. It will play other games than WoW on at least high settings. My HP with an AMD A8-3500M APU with integrated Radeon HD6620G graphics can play most anything on a mix of medium and high settings and only cost me $599 a year ago. They now have the newer models with the A10 APU's and you can get one that also has a dedicated GPU and a 17 inch screen for a lot less than the price you're looking at. (easily under $900). Will they perform as well as that one you want? Of course not but they will get the job done. I sometimes go over 100fps in WoW using DX11 but mostly everything set on fair so that machine you're considering would be a beast.
    Where could i get a laptop like the one you mentioned? If i could get a laptop for under 900 that would play wow on med then thats fine. My brother keeps insisting i get a desktop and a cheaper laptop. Im going to be paying monthly on the laptop and using my student loans for a car and desktop thats better. Loans should arive in April or May.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 09:37 PM ----------

What about this http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta..._Gaming_Laptop

ill get a good desktop at some point in the future.

Where could i get a laptop like the one you mentioned? If i could get a laptop for under 900 that would play wow on med then thats fine. My brother keeps insisting i get a desktop and a cheaper laptop. Im going to be paying monthly on the laptop and using my student loans for a car and desktop thats better. Loans should arive in April or May.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 09:37 PM ----------

What about this http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta..._Gaming_Laptop

ill get a good desktop at some point in the future.
    Look on the HP site or check out what Staples is handling. They have good deals and that's where I got mine
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at thishttp://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta..._Gaming_Laptop laptop. Is it worth the extra 70 bucks to upgrade to the i7 since its a quad core instead of dual core?

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 11:52 PM ----------

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta..._Gaming_Laptop

Are the ones im looking at. Realistically Ill probably only play games like tf2 diablo 3 wow and gw2. getting 8gb ram in any of them so. Cant really pick one.