Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Are Scenarios Wasted Development Time?

Currently a lot of people complaining about no new dungeons in 5.2 patch, which I can agree with. There are however new scenarios coming in with every patch it seems like and my question to the devs is why?

Scenarios seemed liked a really cool concept when it was announced back at Blizzcon 2011, thinking that it was going to be some sort of solo dungeons but ended up just being content that no one really cares about. It is currently just turned into a way for underlying Lore to be explained throughout patches which is fine but, most people really don't care about that kind of stuff especially when it yields very under powered rewards. Yeah you guys tried to offer better rewards in 5.1, but again everything that is reward from scenarios is just junk to most of the play base especially with REP and LFR gear.

I personally have ever only queued for a scenario once and that was to get the 463 weapon after I hit 90.

Personally I think Scenarios would have been better suited as lower level leveling content as an alternative to dungeon spamming. New players would also benefit from this seeing as how they could catch up on all of the story they have missed throughout the other expansions.

The player-base seems to expect more from these scenarios than what they are, group quests. I agree with you though that they should be lower level content, there really isn't any room for them as end-game content.

No, PVP is wasted development time.

Because they take less time to program, and can tell a tighter story without expectations of teh epic loot. If (when) Blizzard adds new 5 mans all we will hear is OMG it drops ilvl like the raids Fail blizzarddddddd. They are fun to do and take less time. I do them more than dungeons personally since I can Queue before work and get 2/3 done in the time it would take to do one 5-man.

No, I love 'em. Scenarios > dungeons
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Deleted
    Scenarios are fun for those 2-3 times, but then they become stale.
    They aren't a means for character progression, rather for story progression.

Level 90 scenarios are definitely wasted development time. We just can't use them for more than they are, meaningless group quests that does plot development.¨
    Once we've seen the content once there's no reason to go back. No worldbreaking variation, no gear and we already know what's going to happen at the end.

They're a quick way to get a bit of VP. The items aren't useless now. The ilvl 463 weapons fill slots that are hard to fill short of heroics, for some class-specs (enhancement shamans, for example; they don't want the BS crafted agi weapons). They're a reasonable way to get JP for upgrading blue items.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

When I did scenarios I was disappointed. It felt like questing and the reward for doing it was horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I've seen every Scenario takes place in an instanced version of the game world, one that has already been made and filled with actors (mobs, NPCs etc) that already exist. Yes the events have to be scripted and ofc that takes development, but I doubt it as much as an all new dungeon. I didn;t think I would enjoy or do Scenarios at all when I first read about them and even afteer I had run a few, however now I notice myself queuing for them quite a bit as gaining valor from various sources is more fun and definitely more efficient than spamming one content type to cap. So no, I don't view them as a waste at all. I wouldn't mind them adding rare spawn bosses that had a low, low chance to drop slightly higher quality loot, maybe even the same epics that drop on extremely low rate in current 5mans.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Not at all. They explain lore pretty nicely and are short and fun. PvP however is a waste of development time.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

IMO, they're pretty good. There should be scenarios as far as the eye can see. Maybe some tweaks to the reward scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    Scenarios are fun for those 2-3 times, but then they become stale.
    They aren't a means for character progression, rather for story progression.

Level 90 scenarios are definitely wasted development time. We just can't use them for more than they are, meaningless group quests that does plot development.¨
    Once we've seen the content once there's no reason to go back. No worldbreaking variation, no gear and we already know what's going to happen at the end.
    As compared to what though, 5-mans/raids are the exact same thing time after time so that would make them wasted time as well. Only thing that isn't this way is pvp and thats a cluster of unbalanced crap.

They're fun to do once, especially with friends, but they don't work very well as repeatable content. I'm not really sure if they were intended to be that way or not, but I think it works well as a storytelling device. I still think it's odd that they added them to the Dungeon Finder system to queue up and run with random people, but I guess it doesn't hurt anything to give people that option.

<3 Scenarios. They are fun and quick. I still do them and still like them. Only one that is getting a little stale is Theramore's Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpayne View Post
    <3 Scenarios. They are fun and quick. I still do them and still like them. Only one that is getting a little stale is Theramore's Fall.
    Same here. I get the VP cap on my pally on Friday or Saturday then I spend 2-3 hours doing lots of scenarios on Saturday on Sunday (depends on the day that I got the VP cap on my pally) on my monk (I normally do LFR on Tuesday and Wednesday on both pally and monk).

I'd rather do scenarios than dungeons.

The only scenarios that I hate are the Brewmoon Festival, Domination Point (horde only) and Greenstone Village.

I would rather do scenarios than dungeons for valor.

I just dislike the way we can get into a group. To be honest, I think we are playing more World of Windows than World of Warcraft.
    The actual system is just another boring window that we need to click and wait while sitting in a city. I think they could have done like Rift. You are nearby the area and have a chance of joining instantly when you approach.

Honestly I have no clue what the point of them is for lol.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel scenarios bring something, but aren't yet polished and need some more effort. I prefer them for low levels. This would help clean up queue times, but still can be ran normally (with bosses giving loot and moving onto another one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    No, PVP is wasted development time.
    @ least we have it on wow.. d3 pvp community pretty much quit after last week statement..