Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    why no fullscreen then?
    also in regards to oc'ing in general why would one have multiple profiles for different programs when you can just have a performance one? (switching bios settings between programs would be inpractical at best)
    personally i find the idea of saving power good, but your way does not seem to be on the efficient kind of scale even if everyone on mmo-c would do so.
    i'm just getting the idea you're doing this to be different wether that is the case or not is not relavent.
    but threads in the past kinda support my thought
    in general most people usually have more and not need it instead of lack it when they actually needed it.

edit : at settings i'd say it isn't full ultra but nonetheless it is a very nice feat to have achieved performance wise with the hardware settings.
    What is missing for full ULTRA? Each and every setting is at the max available setting.

As to the rest, ASUS boards feature a software called EPU 6. I am able to underclock to 1.8 GHz, run stock at 3.0, mildly overclock at 3.34 and OC at 3.5 GHz at the touch of a button from Windows.

As to how efficient my way of saving power is, even if just 1,000,000 people did what I do, the power savings suddenly become very substantial.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8...pboard03pq.jpg
    http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/138/clipboard04pb.jpg

Please link to large images (i.e. >800px wide) instead of embedding them, or embed a thumbnail instead ~ Synthaxx
    Last edited by Chronalis; 2013-01-01 at 04:38 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    So, I was playing around with EVGA's Precision software. As you can see in the image below, WoW managed to chew up to 1250 MB of video memory of my Gigabyte NIVIDIA GTX 580 Super Overclock's 1.5 GB.

I wonder if anyone has seen WoW chewing up more dedicated video memory than that at resolutions of 2560X1440 or 2560X1600.

Looks like that 1.5 GB of video memory is BARELY adequate even for an ancient game such as WoW with a retarded graphics/video engine.

P.S: My FPS is capped @57. Absolutely no reason to go over 60 FPS.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7484/clipboard02qk.jpg

EDIT: The maximum video memory I have seen WoW chew up is 1275 MB in the same settings, i.e. 1920X1080 ULTRA.
    I'd love to try 3840x1080 but for some reason, my WoW won't let me even with Eyefinity enabled (it just doesn't show, and i've tried playing about with it but nothing...) Max allowed is still 1080p for me, for some reason. Not to mention, I'd need a program which enables me to see my VRAM usage.

Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    I'd love to try 3840x1080 but for some reason, my WoW won't let me even with Eyefinity enabled (it just doesn't show, and i've tried playing about with it but nothing...) Max allowed is still 1080p for me, for some reason. Not to mention, I'd need a program which enables me to see my VRAM usage.
    Try EVGA's Precision (same software I am using). I am guessing that EVGA also supports ATI GPU's.

P.S You should un cap your frame rate unless you see tearing.
    No, that is actually a bad idea. FPS over 60 serve no practical purpose (except perhaps if you have 120 HZ monitor) and in addition, they just make your GPU work harder leading to greater power consumption, higher temperatures, more heat generated as well as needless wear and tear on your equipment.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    What is missing for full ULTRA? Each and every setting is at the max available setting.

As to the rest, ASUS boards feature a software called EPU 6. I am able to underclock to 1.8 GHz, run stock at 3.0, mildly overclock at 3.34 and OC at 3.5 GHz at the touch of a button from Windows.

As to how efficient my way of saving power is, even if just 1,000,000 people did what I do, the power savings suddenly become very substantial.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8...pboard03pq.jpg
    http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/138/clipboard04pb.jpg

perhaps im saying something wierd but keeping old energy inefficient tech isn't worth it?
    also if you wanna talk numbers any idea how much 1 office building with the lights on at night spends?
    or perhaps excessive light in stores/malls/food courts? (side note don't start eco saving on pc aspect of life while there are bigger fish out there)

also my bad on the settings i thought MoP allowed for higher textures , still why not fullscreen? (i know screen part is minor still curious)
    image still looks different in a way i cannot seem to place. (guessing a moment for benefit of the doubt)

Industry eats around 90% of electricity used on the planet. What people save at home is a total joke and a placebo.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

You could probably save more just by upgrading to Ivy Bridge heh.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    perhaps im saying something wierd but keeping old energy inefficient tech isn't worth it?
    also if you wanna talk numbers any idea how much 1 office building with the lights on at night spends?
    or perhaps excessive light in stores/malls/food courts? (side note don't start eco saving on pc aspect of life while there are bigger fish out there)

also my bad on the settings i thought MoP allowed for higher textures , still why not fullscreen? (i know screen part is minor still curious)
    image still looks different in a way i cannot seem to place. (guessing a moment for benefit of the doubt)
    Pretty sure that my QX 9650 UC @ 1.8 GHz and idle consumes almost as much power as a Core i5 stock and idle.

As to full load at stock, my QX 9650 consumes 215W while a Core i5 750 consumes 192W and a Core i5 2600k consumes 166 W. If you take that Core i5 2600k and you OC it to 4.2-4.4 GHz as everybody and their mother seem to do around these parts and you compare its power consumption to my QX 9650 at stock, suddenly my QX 9650 starts to look like the most energy efficient CPU ever built.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-01-01 at 02:45 PM.

Deleted
    Pretty sure that my QX 9650 UC @ 1.8 GHz and idle consumes almost as much power as a Core i5 stock and idle.

As to full load at stock, my QX 9650 consumes 215W while a Core i5 750 consumes 192W and a Core i5 consumes 166 W. If you take that Core i5 2600k and you OC it to 4.2-4.4 GHz as everybody and their mother seem to do around these parts, suddenly my QX 9650 starts to look like the most energy efficient CPU ever built.
    i raise you my i7-2600k then with 95W ...... and lets not even start about clocks and voltage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Industry eats around 90% of electricity used on the planet. What people save at home is a total joke and a placebo.
    Especially them stupid refinery's with the lights every 2 inches all over the buildings, they light up the sky on a cloudy day here and ruin skygazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    how do u run at 60 fps with that setup >.< it stutters like mad for me and I have I5-2500k OC @ 4.2, and a 560ti + 4gb of DDR3 .... if i go into pandaria with ultra settings I basically need to restart the game and change the settings from the menu...
    The 580 is some 50% better than the 560 Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post
    My i7 2600k + GTX 560ti runs WoW World at over 60 fps with many places capping to my 120 fps vsync @ 1080p ultra (although i do turn shadows down just 1 notch).
    You also probably have 8GB of RAM compared to Skorpionss's 4GB. If you don't keep your computer clean and you accumulate a large amount of bloatware, you can easily eat up your 4GB. Generally speaking, Windows 7 uses about 1.3 GB normally. A friend's computer had enough bloatware to bump that amount up to 2.5 GB with over 120 processes. Add 1 GB of WoW into the mix and you're almost maxing out your RAM.

Windows OS has this nifty ability to cache data in RAM to prevent disk thrashing. When you have 8GB, WoW/Windows is able to cache a lot more data then if you only 0.5GB remaining. Thrashing is quite apparent because the entire game will freeze for a short period of time (you can experience this if you run WoW off of a slow external hard drive).

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Especially them stupid refinery's with the lights every 2 inches all over the buildings, they light up the sky on a cloudy day here and ruin skygazing.
    Industry electricity is primarily used to power machines and such to create things for you to use. You under estimate the power consumption of industurial machines. For example: a robotic arm used to weld parts onto cars.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-01-01 at 02:53 PM.

As to full load at stock, my QX 9650 consumes 215W while a Core i5 750 consumes 192W and a Core i5 2600k consumes 166 W. If you take that Core i5 2600k and you OC it to 4.2-4.4 GHz as everybody and their mother seem to do around these parts and you compare its power consumption to my QX 9650 at stock, suddenly my QX 9650 starts to look like the most energy efficient CPU ever built.
    Try extending that to Ivy's then, since they're considerably more energy efficient than Sandy's

Stock 2500K and 2600K both run at 95W under P95 load. A stock 3570K or 3770K runs at 77W. An i7 3970X runs at 120W at stock. Add 30-40W when overclocking. A fully overclocked 3970K (most appear to cap out around 4.6GHz) will draw less power than your QX 9650 at stock.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-01-01 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    how do u run at 60 fps with that setup >.< it stutters like mad for me and I have I5-2500k OC @ 4.2, and a 560ti + 4gb of DDR3 .... if i go into pandaria with ultra settings I basically need to restart the game and change the settings from the menu...
    You might want to check what you have installed on your computer and your drivers. My setup is pretty close to yours, and my settings are ultra except shadows are on high, AA 8x and Multisampling 2x/4x and Im almost always at vsync capped fps (60), but for example in jade forest when Im looking at ton of trees and Im low enough altitude to also see all the mobs it fluctuates between 45-60, havent noticed any fps drops in raids, but ofc everyone has fps drop at Sha.
    But never have I had any stuttering or freezing up, there is definitely something messed up your computer or your gpu is actually 550 Ti.

But as someone already said 580 is a ton more powerful gpu than 560 Ti, it even costs twice as more, with 580 I would probably want to switch to 120 hz monitor.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Stock 2500K and 2600K both run at 95W under P95 load. A stock 3570K or 3770K runs at 77W. An i7 3970X runs at 120W at stock. Add 30-40W when overclocking.
    http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...bridge,14.html

It says here that your i5-2500k is consuming 151 Watts under load @ 3.3 GHz. I am guessing this figure goes well over 200W @ or beyond 4.2 GHz/4.4 Ghz, which is about as much as my QX 9650 consumes at stock speeds. Like I said, I don't overclock it b/c I don't need to for WoW.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...bridge,14.html

It says here that your i5-2500k is consuming 151 Watts under load @ 3.3 GHz. I am guessing this figure goes well over 200W @ or beyond 4.2 GHz/4.4 Ghz, which is about as much as my QX 9650 consumes at stock speeds. Like I said, I don't overclock it b/c I don't need to for WoW.
    Is that the entire system?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/21

i7 2600K@4.4GHz: 111W for the CPU on full load
    i7 2600K@3.4GHz: 86W for the CPU on full load

This corroborates the findings of that webiste when they REMOVED THE GTX 580 that was in the system as a display device and used the onboard graphics to test the actual power draw:
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-01-01 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Is that the entire system?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/21

i7 2600K@4.4GHz: 111W for the CPU on full load
    i7 2600K@3.4GHz: 86W for the CPU on full load

This corroborates the findings of that webiste when they REMOVED THE GTX 580 that was in the system as a display device and used the onboard graphics to test the actual power draw:
    You are right. I also made the same mistake while reading my CPU's power consumption. Here's the actual data:

So, my QX 9650 is much, much more efficient at stock speeds than the Core i5.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    No, that looks about Ultra settings to me. Just because the game doesn't look exactly the same as yours doesn't mean it's not ultra settings. The texel and pixel rate may be different between your two systems.
    I have already posted a screenie of my settings:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6...board01cgt.jpg

The screenshots were taken with "Irfan's View" software, NOT by WoW's snapshot feature, b/c that's the only way to make EVGA's Precision data stamp to show up, so naturally they are lower quality than the original. Also, they are not screenshots of the WoW client, but rather of the whole of my desktop.

Also, Image Shack only allows resolutions up to 1600X1200, so the image's resolution is further lowered to that.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-01-01 at 04:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The 580 is some 50% better than the 560 Ti.

You also probably have 8GB of RAM compared to Skorpionss's 4GB. If you don't keep your computer clean and you accumulate a large amount of bloatware, you can easily eat up your 4GB. Generally speaking, Windows 7 uses about 1.3 GB normally. A friend's computer had enough bloatware to bump that amount up to 2.5 GB with over 120 processes. Add 1 GB of WoW into the mix and you're almost maxing out your RAM.

Windows OS has this nifty ability to cache data in RAM to prevent disk thrashing. When you have 8GB, WoW/Windows is able to cache a lot more data then if you only 0.5GB remaining. Thrashing is quite apparent because the entire game will freeze for a short period of time (you can experience this if you run WoW off of a slow external hard drive).

Industry electricity is primarily used to power machines and such to create things for you to use. You under estimate the power consumption of industurial machines. For example: a robotic arm used to weld parts onto cars.
    Whats your point? First you say they use 90% of the energy, Then get mad when i agree with you? They use old fashion light bulbs to light up the refinery here like a christmas tree, when LED are brighter and use less energy. its wasteful.

On Topic, OP Are you forcing any settings from your Video card console?

@Kouki: The Nividia 3D settings slider in my console is set all the way to the right, i.e. "quality" as opposed to left and "performance". As to the advanced settings, everything is at stock with the exception of Nividia's "Threaded Optimization Technology" which is set to "on" instead of "auto".

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Whats your point? First you say they use 90% of the energy, Then get mad when i agree with you? They use old fashion light bulbs to light up the refinery here like a christmas tree, when LED are brighter and use less energy. its wasteful.
    The one who said 90% was Vesselblah. I was criticizing your criticism of people leaving lights on in refineries.