Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I did play SW:tor and sadly my head did not explode, well not mostly. @ Bovinity
    The whole game has to fit in my mind, if one part of it is like really bad.. it just lowers everything because it cant be forgotten.
    I loved the storytelling in SW:tor, the voice and stuff is all amazing but the PvP did in fact suck, the combat felt too clunky, several game crashes and bad character models really killed that good stuff inside the quests.

Of course I did not find that stuff in 20 hours of Guild Wars 2 but I had none of the above, it just seems fitting, like the most stuff in WoW that fits together.
    And while the dynamic events does not provide much storytelling it helps creating a world that is alive and atleast a little changing. I wish one or another city in WoW would get attacked from time to time, it just helps to create a more breathing world.
    Maybe this opinion of mine will change over time, you never know but Guild Wars 2 did many many things better then other ones before and I will enjoy it as much as possible

Kind of silly, but one thing that killed SWTOR for me was the planet of hats phenomenon.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

You land on a planet, and it's like it has one location and that's all there is. To see other scenery you go to an entirely different planet. Its not terrible on some, you just think you did land in the one place to see the one guy and do some missions, but look at Alderaan. ALL the royal houses live in about 3 miles of each other. That would be like on earth if all the capitals of all the countries happened to be in Washington DC. I'm sorry but just no.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    "HEEEEEEEEELP WE'RE UNDER ATTACK BY CENTAURS" doesn't do much for storytelling
    talk with the npcs before and after you have done a quest. they have much to tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I'm having a hard time liking the dynamic events (since most of them are without any context. "HEEEEEEEEELP WE'RE UNDER ATTACK BY CENTAURS" doesn't do much for storytelling)

The story is there, it's just not going to be spoonfed to you by a questgiver with a question mark over it's head. Talk to the NPCs. Listen to the conversations between them. Read the books, journals and plaques you find scattered about the lands.

It's a much more immersive experience than reading a blurb by a static questgiver.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been getting this a lot too. Its really annoying. It happens mostly when entering or leaving Divinity's Reach.

Your first impressions are quite similar to mine. I love the art style of this game (after well over 8 years of the cartoonish, exagerated style of Warcraft (And I Don't mean just wow, but Warcraft 1 2 and 3) playing a game with a more realistic look is a welcome change. SWTOR can't really count because while the scenery looks amazing, the character models SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK)

And I'm having a hard time liking the dynamic events (since most of them are without any context. "HEEEEEEEEELP WE'RE UNDER ATTACK BY CENTAURS" doesn't do much for storytelling)
    Then you're losing all the content on the dinamic events, they do have a storyline and a context on what happens, you just have to follow it from the start and talk to the npc's, I've heard this "issue" before, but that's due to people not notticing that there's really an argument on what happens, it's just kind of hard to grasp at the beggining when you're used to the WoW quest system where you have to actually ask the npc with the exclamation mark above their head.

HAHA FOUND THE FREAKING VID!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes
    Last edited by barackopala; 2012-12-31 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Kind of silly, but one thing that killed SWTOR for me was the planet of hats phenomenon.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

You land on a planet, and it's like it has one location and that's all there is. To see other scenery you go to an entirely different planet. Its not terrible on some, you just think you did land in the one place to see the one guy and do some missions, but look at Alderaan. ALL the royal houses live in about 3 miles of each other. That would be like on earth if all the capitals of all the countries happened to be in Washington DC. I'm sorry but just no.
    You got the wrong trope my friend. That's not a Planet of Hats. Planet of Hats is when one entire planet has A SINGLE culture. Like, rather than be like earth, with hundreds of thousands of nations and hundreds of thousands of cultures and languages within the same specie, all you get is a planet where everyone has the same culture, the same language, same traditions, ect. Most Sci-Fi do that (because creating multi-cultured planets takes more time) and we get really homogeneous alien species (Mass Effect does it too).

The trope you're looking for is this one:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...gleBiomePlanet

When a planet has a single environment and that's it. There's a desert planet, an Ice Planet, a jungle planet, a swamp planet, a city-planet, but never a planet that mixes all of the above (like earth does). Which is totally unrealistic, latitudinal variations can't produce one single biosphere. And I agree that's a bad point to SWTOR (One among MANY, sadly that game has only like 3 things that are good, I plan to retire from it once I finish the storyline of my characters).

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post

Lol, great video! I cracked up when he said, "This confused me that I had to turn into a stalker. I had to follow around NPCs and see the different phases of dynamic events."

But it clearly lays out how someone who is approaching the game on a cursory level (pewpew, level as quickly as possible, collect loot) would just happen upon this event and just see, 'HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP WE'RE UNDER ATTACK BY BEARS' and not get that the story is there right in front of them for the looking.
    Valar morghulis

I got Guild Wars 2 as a gift as well, but if only my fucking computer can handle it.. I've been looking at Youtube videos and you're right, the scenery looks great! I also love the combat and weapon-skill set idea! I can't wait to play it when I get another computer!
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

I can understand frustration about any game if you are having crashing issues but they are related to your video card and not the game. You shouldn't allow that to colour your opinion of the game (once you upgrade the card it will be much better).

But claiming the game doesn't have depth is laughable imho.

I played WoW for almost 7 years. I unsubbed mid way thru 2012. I was bored of the game. It is a testament to the original design of WoW that it kept me entertained that long. So I give credit where credit is due. Most of my friends also stopped playing. And, I was disappointed with the direction of the game to put it mildly. I started playing GW2 this month when I finally replaced my 2006 iMac with a new Mac (so I'm actually playing a beta Mac version which has been about 98% bug free).

The character creation in GW2 is arguably better than WoW. The graphics certainly are, including character models, with the possible exception of humans but I don't like humans in WoW either.

In the first few minutes of leaving Rata Sum I was involved in a dynamic event and died several times. It was at this point I knew I was actually going to enjoy the game. Nothing at all like the 1st 15 levels in Wow where its almost impossible to die because they don't want to scare away the newbies (and then later try to create content for these same people that never learn to play).

I love my personal story quest line...uber depth...and you can speed up the cinematics by hitting escape repeatedly...if you want to avoid the lore (which is again depth related).

I think waypoints are a great idea as well as otherwise having to walk everywhere like in the good old days of WoW.

Even if you don't talk to the npcs etc the dynamic events are all clearly related to whats going on in the zone and...add depth.

I think the points of interest and vistas add depth as well and I make it my mission to get them all in every zone (a mini game if you will).

I did my first dungeon run the other day. I died countless times due to the fact that we didn't really coordinate our attacks and the dungeon (CM) was, I think its fair to say, overturned. But guess what, even though it took more than an hour, everyone stayed to the end. There was almost zero bitching (a few complaints about over tuning but absolutely none about the skill or gear level of any player). I couldn't imagine a spoon fed Wrath / LFR baby putting up with this for more than 2 minutes. And it endeared the game to me even more as a result. You actually have to work for things in GW2.

And every zone I have been in, currently a lvl 51 ranger, has had other players in it (without the need for CRZ). I also like the resource model they have that means two players can mine the same node.

I tried one PvP experience and it was neat. I was level 8 at the time and it turned me into a lvl 80. There wasn't actually a lot of pvp in the zone, it was very late at night, but there were zone related quests that I was able to complete with a few others. A wonderful way to introduce a newbie to content and make them feel that they can still contribute.

Conversely, when you aid a friend leveling or go back to a low level zone you are automatically "reduced" to that zone level. A brilliant concept imho.

Crafting is a lot of work (and I'm stuck because I didn't read up on it and sort of leveled out of the early zones too quickly from a gathering resources perspective) but, you know what, crafting shouldn't be go to the AH and buy the mats and be maxlevel a couple hours later. It will give me something to do when I get max level and that again is a source of depth.

I also really like that you automatically get about a 100 free bank slots for crafting materials and that from anywhere in the world you can deposit crafting mats collected into your bank to free up bag room.

And I get to do all this for FREE..or at least no monthly subscription.

Honestly, if you don't like GW2, its says a lot about what you really want from an MMO...and I'll politely leave it at that and let you read between the lines.

(P.S. - I'm enjoying the game as a an apparently broken class (according to a few comments in this thread) Ranger - and still having mega fun)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    I did play SW:tor and sadly my head did not explode, well not mostly. @ Bovinity
    The whole game has to fit in my mind, if one part of it is like really bad.. it just lowers everything because it cant be forgotten.
    I loved the storytelling in SW:tor, the voice and stuff is all amazing but the PvP did in fact suck, the combat felt too clunky, several game crashes and bad character models really killed that good stuff inside the quests.

Of course I did not find that stuff in 20 hours of Guild Wars 2 but I had none of the above, it just seems fitting, like the most stuff in WoW that fits together.
    And while the dynamic events does not provide much storytelling it helps creating a world that is alive and atleast a little changing. I wish one or another city in WoW would get attacked from time to time, it just helps to create a more breathing world.
    Maybe this opinion of mine will change over time, you never know but Guild Wars 2 did many many things better then other ones before and I will enjoy it as much as possible
    Well said. I do agree with these statements.

As far as the OP having crashes in GW2..I do know some do. However...I been playing sence mid Sept on a I7, Radeon 6850, 10 GB of ram and donot remember the game ever crashing..not once. So I am not sure what the issue is there with some.

Well, IMO most of WoW's depth comes from its lore. I even asked a friend who also played WoW for 6 years (same as me) and past "lore" he blanked out coming up with any other reasons why WoW would have more depth than any other MMO. Then again, isn't the Warcraft universe up to close to 2 decades worth of storytelling at this point? Point being, if you didn't care about quest text, or lore, or NPCs, etc. then WoW would superficially be fairly shallow as well.

Admittedly, I can't get into GW2's lore very much because I am so sick and damned tired of dragons. Dragons all through WoW, dragons all through Rift, now dragons all in GW2. Seriously, someone do something different and unique for once. Fortunately, GW2 offers a lot of what I enjoy: dynamic events, exploration, etc. so I don't get too hung up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Then you're losing all the content on the dinamic events, they do have a storyline and a context on what happens, you just have to follow it from the start and talk to the npc's, I've heard this "issue" before, but that's due to people not notticing that there's really an argument on what happens, it's just kind of hard to grasp at the beggining when you're used to the WoW quest system where you have to actually ask the npc with the exclamation mark above their head.

Many many times this and the video.

People play gw2 as they play any other game out there. Rushing. People who actually say that they are doing quests without any context are really at fault (as most are) because they just don't wait and talk to npcs and all (Specially when you even get rewards on your mail). But alot of the events have a small story to tell, if not a larger part of the gw2 lore. Being attack by centaurs were no different than being attacked by Charr on the first Gw, it just part of the game.

I will say that I want Anet to explore much more of the potential that the events can offer. I feel like the (themed) mini-games ideas that they put monthly can be put to practice all around the game. Sometimes they are, but the higher levels seems to follow a bit of a pattern. But to actually say there is no storytelling in the events, it's pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Well, IMO most of WoW's depth comes from its lore. I even asked a friend who also played WoW for 6 years (same as me) and past "lore" he blanked out coming up with any other reasons why WoW would have more depth than any other MMO. Then again, isn't the Warcraft universe up to close to 2 decades worth of storytelling at this point? Point being, if you didn't care about quest text, or lore, or NPCs, etc. then WoW would superficially be fairly shallow as well.

Admittedly, I can't get into GW2's lore very much because I am so sick and damned tired of dragons. Dragons all through WoW, dragons all through Rift, now dragons all in GW2. Seriously, someone do something different and unique for once. Fortunately, GW2 offers a lot of what I enjoy: dynamic events, exploration, etc. so I don't get too hung up on it.
    I hate the fact that dragon seem to go everywhere in the games these days (specially MMOs). But I find that at least in Gw2 they manage to suppress it. The first guild wars for instance, had little dragon apparition. Yeah Zhaitan is the big badass dragon but to be honest I never really felt like "Omg more dragons" in the game. Dragons are supposed to be intelligent and few imo, and the whole dragon flight of horde and dragons helping you in WoW is really bad.
    Last edited by Zilong; 2013-01-01 at 03:28 AM.

The only real problem I have with the event system is that all DEs are the same basically. Attack/defend/collect. They are also sorta mindless attrition too.

Gets very tiring if the "action combat" angle isn't too big a selling point for you. The whole game is figtfightfightfightcollectfightfightfightfight.

Exhausting. I prefer DEs in small doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The only real problem I have with the event system is that all DEs are the same basically. Attack/defend/collect. They are also sorta mindless attrition too.

Gets very tiring if the "action combat" angle isn't too big a selling point for you. The whole game is figtfightfightfightcollectfightfightfightfight.

Very true.

Also, HI Zilong <3.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Personally I really don't have the feeling that the events are the same, mostly because of context. Just as the video above shows nicely. I play the game really relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong
    People play gw2 as they play any other game out there. Rushing. + [Rest of the post]
    so much this. I can see how people who rush from event to event can feel a bit letdown, but imho if you take your time and (your choice) inspect npcs and their life more closely you'll be much more rewarded and get a very different experience out of it. I play the game since release, nearly every day. Completion of the map: 52%. I see how people who got to 100% weeks/months ago feel let down, they chose to play the game this way so I'd say it's their own fault. No one but yourself pushes you to rush to lv.80/full mapcompletion.

So to one invading bears are invading enemies (again), to the other these are invading bears which... well we know the szenario
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-01-01 at 01:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Oh you try to hard to make it be more than it really is.

Yes, you can follow someone around and instead of "Centaurs attacked!" you'll learn "Centaurs have been attacking us, I think they want our bananas!"

OoooooOooOOooo. Truly, a tale worthy of an epic HBO miniseries.
    Talk to named NPCs in the towns that are attack hotspots they have their own little view on what's going on depending on how far the chain(s) are and etc.

HOWEVER< a lot of events don't get failed because it only takes a brain dead monkey to complete most events and thus you only get the same stuff over and over again which is pretty disappointing. I think they need to put in some sort of mechanic to increase the FAILURE rate so we get more of a back and forth system instead of us just pummeling the centaurs into the dust and constantly kicking them into the dirt.

It's like FUCK, if we are destroying them this badly how are they even a threat?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Personally I really don't have the feeling that the events are the same, mostly because of context. Just as the video above shows nicely. I play the game really relaxed.
    Functionally they are the same though. Not really concerned about "feeling".

One wave of attacking <centaurs> <bandits> <flame legion> <grawl> chaining into a another series of defending <asura> <lionguard> <pact> <seraph> from <centaurs> <bandits> <flame legion> <grawl> which leads to collect <artifacts> <herbs <rum> <gears> for the nearby <asura> <lionguard> <pact> <seraph> then chaining into a fight with a champion <centaurs> <bandits> <flame legion> <grawl> is all the same stuff.

Immersion is not gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I hate the fact that dragon seem to go everywhere in the games these days (specially MMOs). But I find that at least in Gw2 they manage to suppress it. The first guild wars for instance, had little dragon apparition. Yeah Zhaitan is the big badass dragon but to be honest I never really felt like "Omg more dragons" in the game. Dragons are supposed to be intelligent and few imo, and the whole dragon flight of horde and dragons helping you in WoW is really bad.
    Somewhat. Fortunately they don't (as yet) litter the game like they do in others in the form of frequent cameos and lesser dragon beings. Even still, between the whole Destiny's Edge thing and everyone with a 'unity against the dragons' mantra I still feel it heavily saturates everything that's going on in the world. (Understandably so, I guess, but still.) Not to mention that a lot of the baddies (branded, destroyers, risen, etc.) are the direct result of the dragons.

I may be oversensitive to it since I am so very tired of dragons though. :P I will say with the heavy emphasis on centaurs in the human zones, at least, I do tend to forget about it. Sooo many centaurs, everywhere.

Immersion is not gameplay.
    Maybe to you, but I really like immersion, it's important for a good fantasy game. Otherwise I'd go play chess.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Maybe to you, but I really like immersion, it's important for a good fantasy game. Otherwise I'd go play chess.
    Enjoyment has nothing to do with it.

Gameplay relates to play/rule systems. It's not a matter of opinion.