Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    First, SSD's have no impact on fps. It will impact loading. And an SSD is going to load considerably faster. And they last a helluva lot longer than mechanical hard disks.
    SSD's have limited writes still, so in theory they won't actually last longer. It really depends on how much data you write to the drive over its lifespan of whether or not it'll last long. I still have HDD's that are 20 years old and still function. The average SSD's lifespan is around 6-10 years varying as I said the amount of writes the user does onto the drive. SSD's are still new technology and are in the beginning its life still compared to Hard Drives. This said though, they are still pretty reliable considering how new they still are. SSD's are just more known to have quirks and small issues being they are a new technology.

I really only think that person suggested it because after pages of this issue it doesn't seem to be solved still. So if anything it seems more like a shot in the dark with a blindfold.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-01-02 at 03:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inyu View Post
    Nobody noticed he said that was getting worse results with a GTX 690 over a GTX670 ? In my opinion it's just a PSU issue, have you tried another PSU?
    I actually registered to help out a bit. This guy is right so i'm gonna bump his post.

He got a better (more power hungry GC) and his FPS went down. He gets the same FPS in low or high settings.

It's CLEARLY a PSU issue. Try to test it out with a new/more powerful PSU and everything should be good

PS: stop going off topic or this guy won't even be able to see this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by borecole View Post
    I actually registered to help out a bit. This guy is right so i'm gonna bump his post.

He got a better (more power hungry GC) and his FPS went down. He gets the same FPS in low or high settings.

It's CLEARLY a PSU issue. Try to test it out with a new/more powerful PSU and everything should be good

PS: stop going off topic or this guy won't even be able to see this.
    You're joking right?

Seasonic 850w power supply

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    You're joking right?
    I would like to point out he could be correct to an extent....not that the psu is under powered but it could be defective in some way, I mean that would make sense I would imagine. So the easiest way to to test it is to get a 550w psu pop it in and then see if that fixes the issue.
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn down anti-aliasing.

He could have an issue with the voltage. The 3.3, 5, 12 could be off. It does sound strange but it is very easy to find out if that is the case as a quick look in the BIOS would tell him this.

Problem with power and PC's is that it isn't always the PSU that is to blame. It could be everything from MB, to faulty lanes and even incompatible RAM that will cause this issue. My suggestion is to go into your BIOS and see if you got some voltage numbers that are off. If that isn't the case I would try to switch out your RAM to see if this could be the issue. If that isn't the issue try sticking the video card into another PCI-e lane. Depending on what MB you got this might not work diagnostically though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 3570k at 4.6 and a 680 and i cant hold 60 in raids on max settings at 1920x1080 res. People love to lie about their fps with their old shitty comps, you just have to sift through the bullshit and figure out what is correct. The only way they can be over 60 fps is when they neglect to say they are running the res of a gameboy pocket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    I have a 3570k at 4.6 and a 680 and i cant hold 60 in raids on max settings at 1920x1080 res. People love to lie about their fps with their old shitty comps, you just have to sift through the bullshit and figure out what is correct. The only way they can be over 60 fps is when they neglect to say they are running the res of a gameboy pocket.
    People lie about their fps, that's true. However, that line on the end is incorrect. Resolution almost only has an effect on the GPU. So you can run 800x600 ultra CPU settings and still have the same fps @ 1080p, provided a GPU that doesn't bottleneck @ ultra 1080p.

@Milkshake86, as "Badpaladin" already mentioned; your posts are incomprehensible and it's obvious you don't read another persons post..or properly read any form of actual literature regarding the matter, neither do you want to remain friendly. So i'm not going to debate your last "post".
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-01-02 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    People lie about their fps, that's true. However, that line on the end is incorrect. Resolution almost only has an effect on the GPU. So you can run 800x600 ultra CPU settings and still have the same fps @ 1080p, provided a GPU that doesn't bottleneck @ ultra 1080p.
    In WoW or in general? I assume you mean WoW. Even if WoW isn't considered to be a particularly GPU intensive game, it can certainly take advantage of a decent GPU, especially if you play at high resolutions and on multi monitor setups.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-02 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    In WoW or in general? I assume you mean WoW. Even if WoW isn't considered to be a particularly GPU intensive game, it can certainly take advantage of a decent GPU, especially if you play at high resolutions and on multi monitor setups.
    Read the post again, and this time properly.

* Mod Warning: Please be a bit more specific (ninja edit lol)

EDIT:
    * Mod Warning: Please be a bit more specific
    My original post was specific enough, sorry. How is it my fault people only read 50%.
    Fine..Ill try to explain it again..

The original comment was that setting the resolution to 'gameboy res' it would somehow make up for the lacky processor. To which i replied that was incorrect due to Resolution having no influence on the framerate (so long as the GPU doesn't bottleneck). Therefor if the processor is lacky the framerate is bad at any resolution. Raising the resolution only increases the GPU load.

To be fair, if someone responds to your comment without properly reading it, making you repeat it again should also be considered disrecpectful.

The original mod edit said to be more RESPECTFUL. If I catch you editing a mod edit again, I will infract you. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2013-01-03 at 03:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    You're joking right?
    Not really. All it takes is a power spike and the PSU stops working properly.

My gf had the same problem, 10~15 fps at 640x480 low settings and 1280x1024 with the game maxed out.
    I switched out her 600w PSU for a 350w one we had laying around and we got good performance again.

My main concern here is that in my case, we had that faulty psu running for a long time and when it decided to die, it took a sound card and 2 ddr2 memories with it.

Just try a different PSU, takes 10 minutes to switch it and can't hurt the OP to try

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Read the post again, and this time properly.

* Mod Warning: Please be a bit more specific (ninja edit lol)

EDIT:

My original post was specific enough, sorry. How is it my fault people only read 50%.
    Fine..Ill try to explain it again..

The original comment was that setting the resolution to 'gameboy res' it would somehow make up for the lacky processor. To which i replied that was incorrect due to Resolution having no influence on the framerate (so long as the GPU doesn't bottleneck). Therefor if the processor is lacky the framerate is bad at any resolution. Raising the resolution only increases the GPU load.

To be fair, if someone responds to your comment without properly reading it, making you repeat it again should also be considered disrecpectful.

Apologies I misread your comment entirely. I still read 100% of your comment, but not accurately it seems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by borecole View Post
    Not really. All it takes is a power spike and the PSU stops working properly.

My gf had the same problem, 10~15 fps at 640x480 low settings and 1280x1024 with the game maxed out.
    I switched out her 600w PSU for a 350w one we had laying around and we got good performance again.

My main concern here is that in my case, we had that faulty psu running for a long time and when it decided to die, it took a sound card and 2 ddr2 memories with it.

Just try a different PSU, takes 10 minutes to switch it and can't hurt the OP to try
    No I agree it can't hurt to try but from past experience comments like that will make OP go out and buy a 1250W PSU ;D like changing from i5-2500k to i5-3570k after reading some random comment even though he was warned it wouldn't make a difference (useless).

I made my comment about joking because I read it as if you said he might just need a more powerful PSU. Kinda skipped the faulty part, my bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    They can, just not at complete maximum settings :P
    Pretty much this.

I haven't read anything about the "crappier computers" running at the same settings. It's easy to say "yea I've 120FPS in Lion's Arch on my 560Ti", just turn down the settings to low and lower the resolution to 720p.

I mean, My Desktop (680) runs GW2 at 60FPS, and my School laptop (7850M) can too. Does it mean my desktop is shit?