anyone wish the portals/circles could be tuned to be more QOL friendly?

I am by no means an expert. My alts atm are a mage and a monk.

I sort of wish at times I could use the portals/circles for more QOL issues then as a tactical situational ability in specific situations (rare for me)

I find myself rarely ever using these abilities as i do dailys and the odd dungeon raid.

Does this change? Am I crazy?

Other than putting it away from a boss you have to eventually get away from or something, there's no real point to either other than a tactical situational ability. I just wish the gateway was semi useful when being placed, most of the time you just get "no path available" eventhough you could get there yourself in a straight line.

Portals definitely have more uses than gates. I would like to see the teleport range increased a bit, but it's not a huge deal.

As far as gateways are concerned they get the most use when they can be used in pairs. Most places I seem them used require the raid to be able to mirror them for the greatest effect.

You will learn to love these two spells. They are the very first thing I miss when playing another class. There's just something immensely satisfying about being unkillable because you have a safe portal nearby.

I just wish that the cast time of gate wasn't so long.

shrug just don't see the major uses if your doing a dungeon for either of them, wish one could have a distance type benefit similar to a blink or monk roll for much more common use. Just a thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    shrug just don't see the major uses if your doing a dungeon for either of them, wish one could have a distance type benefit similar to a blink or monk roll for much more common use. Just a thought.
    could be an idea to implement a glyph that removes the spell that places the portal, leaving you with one that automatically teleports you 20 yards behind you.

Deleted
    Imo the circle works great.

The portals have their uses but those are very limited. Like.. Will of the Emperor and .. nowhere else. You can't use them in arena because of their rediculous cast time + "No path available" bugs. That's not even taking into account the "<nothing happens>" when you then do get a portal up, it does get a charge and you click it to escape and save your life.
    It got better after the clicking was introduced, but it's still terrible.

The cast of it looks amazing though. I love shooting those 3 swirly balls out of my hands towards a far location.

The lock and monk teleports are really great to get out of combat when a wipe is unavoidable. At first I was thrilled about the group portal, too, but unfortunately it's too limited in what it can do.

- place it somewhere other than a straight line: "no path available"
    - place it in/outside a boss room so others could escape a wipe: "you can't use that now" when the door closes
    - tried it between the 1st and 2nd platform in Heart of Fear, 1st boss: tank can't use it because he would lose aggro. The raid can use it... but on the other side they still have to wait til the tank crossed the room
    - tried it with the august celestials daily where you have to carry a torch: it's either "no path available" or "lol, you still have touched a tornado, because this is more a 'rapid movement' spell instead of a real teleport"

I guess it's so bad because of PvP (imagine what a true teleport like the lock circle would do for the whole team in Warsong), but I wish they'd simply disable it in arenas/BGs and improve it otherwise.
    Last edited by Lil; 2013-01-03 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    The lock and monk teleports are really great to get out of combat when a wipe is unavoidable. At first I was thrilled about the group portal, too, but unfortunately it's too limited in what it can do.

- place it somewhere other than a straight line: "no path available"
    - place it in/outside a boss room so others could escape a wipe: "you can't use that now" when the door closes
    - tried it between the 1st and 2nd platform in Heart of Fear, 1st boss: tank can't use it because he would lose aggro. The raid can use it... but on the other side they still have to wait til the tank crossed the room
    - tried it with the august celestials daily where you have to carry a torch: it's either "no path available" or "lol, you still have touched a tornado, because this is more a 'rapid movement' spell instead of a real teleport"

I guess it's so bad because of PvP (imagine what a true teleport like the lock circle would do for the whole team in Warsong), but I wish they'd simply disable it in arenas/BGs and improve it otherwise.
    1) its not that it has to be a straight line, just can't be on different planes/levels of terrain

2) It is not meant to exploit bosses to get out of combat etc.

3) Our tank has no problem using it and keeping aggro /shrug

4) Just like exploiting to get out of combat to reset a boss, it is not meant to exploit.

When used correctly and situations permitting it is nice to have. not game breaking but better than not having it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    The portals have their uses but those are very limited. Like.. Will of the Emperor and .. nowhere else.
    The places where Gateways are a gift from heaven:
    - Sha of Fear to get from behind the adds into the safe cone
    - Blade Lord Ta'yak to get healers and high execute dps faster through tornado alley
    - Imperial Vizier Zor'lok to get from 1 platform to the next quickly
    - The Stone Guard (heroic) to spread tiles faster
    - Will of the Emperor to get behind Courages

You can't use them in arena because of their rediculous cast time + "No path available" bugs.
    That's funny, because whenever I look at streams from big tournaments which has locks in the teams the locks place a gateway right at the start aimed at the middle so they have an escape during the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Portals and the Gateway are great.

Fun utility.
    Trivializing certain mechanics.(Terror spawns on Sha of Fear, Getting quickly past the tornadoes on Blade Lord, Porting the player who is painting tiles on Heroic Stone guard so he can paint more with out his debuff running out.)
    Old Content.
    PvP(WSG, gram flag lead enemy team to your flag room. Once they are there teleport up to the top of the base, Wait for them to come up top. Drop down. wait for them to drop down, Tele up, repeat.

Think outside the box, there are plenty of uses for it

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    PvP(WSG, gram flag lead enemy team to your flag room. Once they are there teleport up to the top of the base, Wait for them to come up top. Drop down. wait for them to drop down, Tele up, repeat.
    I love doing this, usually can pick off at least one of the people going after me during this time.

Another great use for gateway - soloing the Pandaren rares. By far the most difficult of the rares for locks to solo, but all you have to do is use your felhunter and place your gateway; spam click the gateway when the debuff from it is about to fade and you will never rip threat from your FH.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

I also use them to easily remove entangling roots from my farm plants :P

The gates trivialize the first hallway run on the 2nd boss in HoF. Got us our first kill of the guy (well, the gates combined with leaving the first platform early to take advantage of the slipstream to get to the 2nd one).
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Imo the circle works great.

The portals have their uses but those are very limited. Like.. Will of the Emperor and .. nowhere else.
    What? They're godly on Vizier, with a circle and gateway you have zero time spent in the gas.

Likewise they're great on blade lord since it lets you skip 2/5ths of the running in the first tornado alley and you can run in the wind for the second one.

Using it to port to the opposite side of the room on Elegon (which is always my spark because of that) is handy too, even lets you and the guy next to you port back once your pylons are dead.

Stone guards can get a lot of use out of them if you place it on the side with 2 crystals, since that fills up quickly and it saves people running the length of the room with debuff stacks.

Kinda handy for sha of anger adds, but I keep getting problems where clicking it isn't doing anything lately.

I'm baffled by people thinking they're useless, I don't really consider myself some portal entrepreneur. Considering this is the first tier portals have existed for, it's hard to say that them being useful on 5 bosses is bad - God knows what else they'll be useful for as time goes on - I certainly get more use out of it than I do plenty of our other spells.

You can't use them in arena because of their rediculous cast time + "No path available" bugs. That's not even taking into account the "<nothing happens>" when you then do get a portal up, it does get a charge and you click it to escape and save your life.
    They're handy in arena if both teams hide behind pillars and you have time to set one up, I spent prettymuch one entire arena just kiting a DK between pillars via one, lately I've been getting horrible situations where clicking them just isn't working - which sucks when they're your escape method. Beautiful when they work, killers when they don't - which is far too often.