Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Karazhan Chess Idea - Who was first?

I have two overly nerdy friends who were in an undecided argument and I'm bringing this to the mmo-c boards to find the answer. Imagine the guys from Big Bang Theory. Howard and Sheldon are battling it out. I'm Leonard because although I'm also a nerd, I am the coolest of them.

Howard: Karazhan life sized chess idea was brilliant!
    Sheldon: Actually the idea first appeared in the Harry Potter series.
    Leonard: They both probably got the idea from a really old book like everything else these days.
    Howard & Sheldon: Shut up you noob.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    I have two overly nerdy friends who were in an undecided argument and I'm bringing this to the mmo-c boards to find the answer. Imagine the guys from Big Bang Theory.
    Big Bang what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    Big Bang what?

The Big Bang Theory, its a great show.

Knock Knock, Penny!
    Knock, Knock, Penny!
    Knock, Knock Penny!
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Who cares? Like, neither of these companies are going to claim that they came up with the idea of giant living chess pieces because they obviously didn't.
    They didn't invent chess either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Ugh

I have two overly nerdy friends who were in an undecided argument and I'm bringing this to the mmo-c boards to find the answer. Imagine the guys from Big Bang Theory. Howard and Sheldon are battling it out. I'm Leonard because although I'm also a nerd, I am the coolest of them.

Howard: Karazhan life sized chess idea was brilliant!
    Sheldon: Actually the idea first appeared in the Harry Potter series.
    Leonard: They both probably got the idea from a really old book like everything else these days.
    Howard & Sheldon: Shut up you noob.
    BBT is a terrible show.

and Arrow got it right as far as I can tell. Wouldn't be surprised if there was another version before that.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    It's a great show for people with either little understanding of the "geek" culture, or are just so pleased they get some of the references. It's slightly above average at best, with a heavy helping of pandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Through the Looking Glass, apparently.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Looking-Glass
    I love when they are both wrong and my vague guess makes me right.

Actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chess

The first version of life size chess was played in 1454 to compete for a young lady. It was made into a part of the 1871 novel and later turned into an actual event in 1923.

<--- huge nerd

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Actually:

The first version of life size chess was played in 1454 to compete for a young lady. It was made into a part of the 1871 novel and later turned into an actual event in 1923.

<--- huge nerd

You're welcome.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    It's a great show for people with either little understanding of the "geek" culture, or are just so pleased they get some of the references. It's slightly above average at best, with a heavy helping of pandering.
    It's not even pandering. Pandering would be jokes about the differences between DnD Editions. BBT makes jokes about people caring about DnD. Pay attention to the cues of the laughing tracks and tell me you're not feeling laughed at after five minutes.

Thanks!
    Anytime I'm always glad to help with Factoids.

I dunno, I like the show a lot. It's not my favorite show, but it's not that bad... sounds like you guys are almost offended by it. lol

It reminds me more of Battle Chess from the 80s....that was fun

Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Actually:

<--- huge nerd

You're welcome.
    Never EVER let a chess club and role playing society meet each other. The result was freaky human chess.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    It's not even pandering. Pandering would be jokes about the differences between DnD Editions. BBT makes jokes about people caring about DnD. Pay attention to the cues of the laughing tracks and tell me you're not feeling laughed at after five minutes.
    BBT is done with an actual live audience, and not a laugh track, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    The first two seasons you laughed with the geeks, back then is was a show for geeks but then Loree wanted a more female audience and turned it into a friends-like relationship comedy and now you laugh at the geeks.
    I really liked its earlier seasons but stopped watching in the fifth.

Aw I like that show. I'm not sure how people feel such strong hatred for something that is supposed to be funny. I laugh so easily that I don't even understand the concept of "terrible comedy".

It reminds me of the family guy hate where people insult you for even liking/watching it. If you don't like something, just shrug it off and go "meh, not for me" and leave it at that lol

OT: The concept of human chess (like what was linked previously) came long before either harry potter or karazhan

My theory about the Big Bang Theory (lol) hatred is simple: geeks are used to being victimised, so there's this group that assume everyone is out to get them. So even though there's this show that appeals to geek humor, gets a lot of the references correct and is actually pretty enjoyable... Oh shit, they mock geeks sometimes! TO THE PITCHFORKS

BBT mocks everyone and everything. All the time. Nobody is safe. Geeks aren't being victimised anymore than 'party girls', or 'jocks', or whatever groups you want to think of. They mock everyone.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have to say it, you're obviously not the coolest one