Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Is anyone here not extremely biased and won't use every little thing as an excuse to bash the SEC?
    Conference bashing is for 20-something homers. I love watching SEC ball... although I do reserve the right to make fun of Texas A&M periodically.

Even if he's trying to emulate a native pronunciation, why can't Sean McDonough say "Louisville" without sounding like he's got a mouth full of marbles?

Oh, and whichever band busted out the Game of Thrones theme... I salute you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Whoa - Louisville beats Florida. Did anyone see that coming? Lol at "SEC dominance".

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol at "SEC dominance".
    BCS Bowl appearances and wins by conference
    SEC 25 appearances 16 wins 7 losses .696 winning %

2nd place
    Pac-12 20 appearances 12 wins 7 losses .632 winning % and actually its only 11 wins cause of USC cheating and having theirs vacated in 2005 Orange Bowl

No one is even close in 3rd place.

Oh yea and then theres the 7 out of the last 8 national titles including 6 in a row.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-01-03 at 06:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you ignore the extreme cases like everyone else, instead of blatant bashing.
    C'mon, do you really expect that the people on a site where, on any given day, there are arguments and flaming over the gear someone wears in a video game, to be that sensible and level-headed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Conference bashing is for 20-something homers. I love watching SEC ball... although I do reserve the right to make fun of Texas A&M periodically.

Even if he's trying to emulate a native pronunciation, why can't Sean McDonough say "Louisville" without sounding like he's got a mouth full of marbles?
    Even better, listen to Lou Holtz pronounce "Oregon". There's not an "e" at the end, but he doesn't know that.

15+ Year Old Account
    So the SEC team that was a blink from the NC game (had Georgia won the SEC title game they had a good shot of making it) lost to a fucking Big East team? What the hell Florida?

Nope. The play is only blown dead if the ball carrier loses his helmet. Technically, when his helmet came off, so did the ball.
    At the time he lost his helmet he was the ball carrier. The play was dead. There is no rule for simultaneous loss of helmet/ball that allows play to continue.

It's even more dangerous if a runner loses his helmet and the ball and there are 5-10 dudes diving in his direction to get the ball. There is a reason play is supposed to stop when someone with the ball loses their helmet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmsix6 View Post
    At the time he lost his helmet he was the ball carrier. The play was dead. There is no rule for simultaneous loss of helmet/ball that allows play to continue.

It's even more dangerous if a runner loses his helmet and the ball and there are 5-10 dudes diving in his direction to get the ball. There is a reason play is supposed to stop when someone with the ball loses their helmet.
    You said it yourself, a simultaneous action. He lost the ball and his helmet at the same time. So it's a judgement call for the refs. Who just the play before, disregarded a measurement on what I believe was a fourth down. So, let's just say they were making up for that.

Here's a list of the current conference bowl records

Pitt will beat Ole Miss, putting the Big East as the best BCS conference record. The Big East has had a good record in the BCS already historically, looks like it will continue.

Notice the Big 10's solid performance at 2-5, with no games left. The Pac-12 can get .500, leaving the Big 12 and SEC with games left to play. I expect another close game tomorrow.

I have no idea who's going to win tonight, but it should be an offensive slaughterfest, my kind of game.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-03 at 08:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    in the Florida game they missed a face-mask penalty that tore the runners helmet off and didn't blow the whistle until after he was hit and down anyway so you're clearly expecting too much from them, especially an even worse crew that doesn't know the basic mechanics of the game, like how many yards you need for a first down

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    in the Florida game they missed a face-mask penalty that tore the runners helmet off and didn't blow the whistle until after he was hit and down anyway so you're clearly expecting too much from them, especially an even worse crew that doesn't know the basic mechanics of the game, like how many yards you need for a first down
    They also missed a helmet-to-helmet on the play where the guy caught the ball on his knees in between his legs that turned out to be a not catch.

10+ Year Old Account
    You said it yourself, a simultaneous action. He lost the ball and his helmet at the same time. So it's a judgement call for the refs. Who just the play before, disregarded a measurement on what I believe was a fourth down. So, let's just say they were making up for that.
    With the understanding that I'm stating this as a Michigan fan of three decades: to me, it looks like the ball was out before Smith's helmet went flying (here's the best quality video I can find... if anyone's motivated to do some freeze-framing, they'll see what I mean). It all happened so quickly that I wouldn't expect any official on that field to be able to make that call in real time, especially when they can't even get a first down measurement right. If that's indeed the case, then Smith isn't the ball carrier and it's a recovered live ball, as per 3-3-9-c.

In any event... ugh, deja-vu.

P.S.: Go Ducks!

15+ Year Old Account
    I missed 12 seconds and Oregon already scored 8 points. This game is going to rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's game. Oklahoma/TAMU tomorrow, guess I can look forward to that.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Oregon/KSt game was never going to be anything other than what the ending was - not sure who thought otherwise. Still would love to see OR vs AL for the Naty - although ND should give them a game or two.

I am still uncertain why Bill decided to have them kick it in the 4th quarter instead of go for it. That somewhat sealed the Wildcats' fate. The safety on the extra point attempt was pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

I honestly think Chip is going to the pros. I didn't believe he would when the Tampa Bay rumors happened last year but this year seems more likely. Good luck to Kenjon and Kiko in the draft and hopefully Boyett decides to take the medical redshirt this year and come back for his "senior" year.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    So the SEC team that was a blink from the NC game (had Georgia won the SEC title game they had a good shot of making it) lost to a fucking Big East team? What the hell Florida?
    Huh? You think there was a "good shot" that a 1 loss Florida team would have leaped undefeated ND? Not on any planet in our solar system.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 10:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    I am still uncertain why Bill decided to have them kick it in the 4th quarter instead of go for it. That somewhat sealed the Wildcats' fate. The safety on the extra point attempt was pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

I honestly think Chip is going to the pros. I didn't believe he would when the Tampa Bay rumors happened last year but this year seems more likely. Good luck to Kenjon and Kiko in the draft and hopefully Boyett decides to take the medical redshirt this year and come back for his "senior" year.
    I gotta admit I would love to see Vick/McCoy in the Chip offense. If it could ever be successful in the NFL I can't think of a better QB/RB combo in the league who could do it. Unfortunately the Eagles will probably be dumping Vick, unless they hire Chip first and he convinces them otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Huh? You think there was a "good shot" that a 1 loss Florida team would have leaped undefeated ND? Not on any planet in our solar system.
    seems to be suggesting they would leap a 2-loss Alabama team...

10+ Year Old Account
    I admit that going by Florida's record before the Louisville game I thought that they were pretty good. However, I watched them play early in the season and thought that they were in for an eight or nine win season. Then they just kept winning.

SEC is not nearly as strong this year. True. But maybe, just maybe, everyone else is not as bad as we thought.

I would have thought that UF could have muscled out a win. They should have been able to. If UConn and Syracuse can beat Louisville, Florida should be able to with 10 players. Right?

Honestly, I am much more concerned about Bama's chances in the title game now. Not because I doubt their skills, but because I have obviously underestimated the abilities of the rest of the FBS, as well as overestimating the SEC.

Looking forward to the A&M game tonight. SEC can still come out of this looking alright if we win out. Also, if Bama wins it will be 7 years in a row of SEC champions, so all is not lost.
    I like sandwiches

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    seems to be suggesting they would leap a 2-loss Alabama team...
    So.. the 1 loss Georgia team would be... where? Behind the 1 loss Florida team who they beat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    So.. the 1 loss Georgia team would be... where? Behind the 1 loss Florida team who they beat?
    I didn't say I agreed, I was clarifying your fundamental misunderstanding of the previous poster