Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Patch 5.2 World Bosses, Isle of Giants, Blue Posts, Throne of Thunder Outdoors

Community Commentary: The Many Routes to Paragon 100, More on Gold Spam, Which Follower Accompanies You?, DiabloFans - "Holiday in Sanctuary" Giveaway

Cinder Kitten Giveaway: Still waiting on a reply from one of the day two winners.

Patch 5.2 World Bosses
    Patch 5.2 will add two new World Bosses to the game, Nalak and Oondasta.

Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Nalak, The Storm Lord
    • Arc Nova - A pulse of electric energy inflicts 350,000 Nature damage to players within 35 yards and knocks them back.
    • Lightning Tether - Nalak tethers several players to him, inflicting 10,000 Nature damage every 1 sec. and an additional 20,000 Nature damage if they are greater than 30 yards from Nalak. Lasts 15 sec.
    • Static Shield - Jolts of power surrounding Nalak inflict 20,000 Nature damage every 1 sec. to a random player.
    • Stormcloud - Nalak places storm clouds above several players, which inflict 50,000 Nature damage every 3 sec.to all players within 10 yards for 30 sec.

Oondasta
    • Crush - Oondasta crushes his current target, inflicting 500,000 Physical damage and reducing armor by 25% for 60 sec. This effect stacks.
    • Frill Blast - Oondasta's armor is more than just for decoration, and can charge up this powerful blast that inflicts 800,000 Fire damage to all players in a 60-yard hemisphere in front of Oondasta.
    • Growing Fury - Oondasta's rage grows as the fight progresses, increasing all damage by 10%. This effect stacks.
    • Piercing Roar - Oondasta unleashes a piercing roar, inflicting 200,000 Physical damage to all players and interrupting spell-casting, preventing spells of that school from being cast for 10 sec.
    • Spiritfire Beam - Oondasta fires a beam of spiritfire energy at a player, inflicting 150,000 Fire damage and jumping to a nearby ally. Up to 20 players can be affected, with damage increasing by 50% with each jump.

Patch 5.2 - Isle of Giants
    The Isle of Giants is located north of Kun Lai Summit and currently only has Oondasta, flightmasters, and empty camps on it.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Valor Points Cap Feedback
    Im confused? You dont want people to feel like they have to cap every week? Why a cap then?
    There will unfortunately always be people who feel like they have to reach the cap every week, and if there is no cap, then these people will make their own cap which is typically the maximum possible.

If we had set no cap, then the theoretical maximum of Valor Points possible to acquire in one week would serve as the cap instead... and reaching the theoretical maximum of Valor Points possible to acquire in one week would require a lot of time to play every single day. If that was the case, how do you think that would impact the people who are feeling that they are "forced" to reach the cap every week in order to maximise their gearing process? How do you think that would impact the people who are trying to gear up their alts? How would it impact the new player levelling a new character trying to catch up with his friends who invited him to the game? How would it impact the progress in guilds with a combination of members with a lot of free time to play and members with precious little time to play?

The cap is both a blessing and a curse. Some are glad it is there, some absolutely despise it and want it gone, some just want it lower, and some want it higher. We are trying to find the best spot for the cap to accommodate as many people as possible, but we cannot please everyone, and that is why the cap is always under constant evaluation. Community feedback on this topic is therefore also super important, as that will help the developers in their evaluations on whether or not the cap is in a good spot.

So in essence, the cap helps people that is driven by doing their best with the limited time on their hand, actually do other stuff thatnfarming valor.

Raising the cap would most likely just having people like me only do stuft that awards valor and then miss other aspects of the game entirely.

This is indeed one of the reasons why there is a cap, and why it is where it is currently.

If we are to lower or raise the cap, we will always need to consider if the people who will be pleased will outnumber the people who will be disappointed... it is not always an easy nor obvious call to make.

People trying to gear alts would welcome a limitless amount of valor per reset (No cap), essentially they'd be in total control of the character progress, one week they might not have as much time as the next, win / win.

A new player would also welcome limitless VP gain, he / she could gain ground in hours where friends aren't around, with the current system the new player is locked in whatever stage the person is behind those he's trying to catch up to.

If the overall goal with the VP was to accommodate as many as possible, then not having a cap would surely be the better option?
    These are all very good points, and I would personally agree with you that limitless Valor Points would be a nice thing if it wasn't for the fact that they are intended as a supplement to the normal gearing process. We should not forget that there are more than one reason behind the cap.

If the acquisition of Valor Points became limitless as you suggest, then we would quickly find the situation to be one where gearing up through Valor Points no longer serves as a supplement to the normal gearing process through facing and defeating different tiers of content. If the acquisition of Valor Points became limitless, it would serve as the primary method of gearing up for a very large group of players (if not almost every player), thus the normal gearing process (through raiding for an example) would be circumvented. Also, limitless Valor Points would likely render everything but the latest content tiers mostly irrelevant, as the game would become all about farming Valor Points for gear through dailies. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Lesser Charm of Good Fortune
    40 rolls is still a somewhat small sample size. It only means that you and your friends had some bad luck. As you can see from some of the replies from other players, some have got quite a few items from charms of good fortune, in the end, as the sample size gets bigger and you take into account the rolls of every player in the realm, it all evens out and the experimental drop rate gets closer and closer to the theoretical value that was in the code. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Character
    How is logging into alts to do the Blingtron daily a chore? It's less than 5 clicks basically.
    How many alts do you have? What if they aren't all in the same place? Why is that a better design than just upping the first gift? (Source)

Are there plans to make the Valor of the Ancient buff account wide rather than realm wide? or is there a technical limitation?
    It's a technical limitation. (Source)

Bank Space and stacking up items. What do you think about that? Bags are getting full ever since MoP came.
    Yeah, we offered a lot of things like toys and cooking mats that fill up bags. (Source)

So, with helm enchants coming back in 5.2, can we get all the premop helm enchants that were removed back?
    I think you are jumping to conclusions about the mechanic. Check it out in game first. (Source)
    do you see a problem where only pvpers that pve will have this "legendary" head enchant? idc either way, jw.
    Players are reading way too much into that patch note. It's not even a head enchant! (Source)

PvE
    arguments against incentivizing 25m raid with same gear as 10m, but upgraded 1 of 2?
    We considered it, but the problem is that the 10s couldn't upgrade their gear until 5.1, making 25s drop strictly better gear. (Source)

They didnt blew through content at the start. First tier of raiding and initial dungeons were not consumed fast
    But those were content that many players felt were not for them. (Source)

Galleon respawns more freq in 5.2, can we say the same for Oondasta?
    Let's just say that Oondasta is going to deliver on the rare and tough design we wanted from Galleon. We are prepared for tears. (Source)

In Cata dungeons seemed to prepare you for Raiding, mop it seems that their role Is gear Not challenging players to be better.
    Challenging dungeons work well for groups of friends, not anonymous Dungeon Finder groups. (Source)
    Challenging dungeons were the main cause of failure in the first half of Cata. They certain damaged cata more than tabards
    Broader than that I think. Players blew through some content quickly and couldn't / weren't interested in other content. (Source)
    But cata had other content. It had daily quests. don't understand why you think they'd be interested now?
    Cataclysm's dailies were a totally different beast until the Molten Front quests, which were very popular. (Source)

Are there any plans to let players choose for which role they want drops in LFR? e.g queue as tank but get dps or heal-gear??
    We would like to do that. Trying to design a suitable UI. (Source)

Not related to game design, but gf got kicked for low healing in a painless LFR run. 40 mintues gone for nothing. Need to rant
    It boggles me when players get focused on hyper efficiency on content that doesn't demand it. (Source)

Misc
    I'm coming back to WoW after a 6 year break. What's changed?
    They found Mankrik's wife. (Source)

Pointing fingers at the people who made the game just like Jay? I thought you were better than that... (not really)
    Most of the people who made vanilla are still here. They would also acknowledge hybrids had very narrow roles in vanilla. (Source)

5.2 patch notes are amazing for pvp. Who are you and what have you done with Chilton and Street?
    They are bound and gagged in the basement, forced to play Axis and Allies until 5.2 ships. (Source)

Throne of Thunder Outdoors
    This should be closer to what the outdoor part of the raid will feel like. Still a preview, work in progress, not meant to be previewed of course!

Last edited by chaud; 2013-01-04 at 09:38 AM.

Deleted
    That second world boss sounds like great fun when someone wants to wipe your raid group on a PVP server :b just make that attack bounce ladies!

10+ Year Old Account
    The World Bosses on IoG is hard, hits like a truck and can wipe out your whole raid with one ability it gunna be fun with 2 or more groups all trying to kill him.

Dang 800,000 fire damage and a stacking 10% damage buff?

Deleted
    http://media.mmo-champion.com/images.../RaDenRoom.jpg

So much nostalgia from Karazhan (Crypt). Im already loving the new raid!
    Last edited by mmoc5f651aac41; 2013-01-04 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    Don't forget CThun-style chain lightning and 10s lockout AoE interrupt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    I can't wait to tank this raid.

There better be a Oondasta mount D:

Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    that's what catches your mind? Not the 50% extra damage per jump up to 20 jumps chain lightning?

blizzard best troll 2k13, grats

10+ Year Old Account
    Molten Front, popular? That daily hub was awful and boring as sin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    I had quite a laugh making it a living hell for the opposing faction to finish their quests.
    World PVP was back, if only for a short time, thanks to this quest hub.

He must remember a different molten front than I did, once most people were through it they (and I also) vowed never to do it again. Also how many conclusions can one jump to over the words: "head enchantment" that were in the patch notes?

Deleted
    Also that giant platform in the middle of nowhere reminds me ever so much of Soul Calibur- and I found that game to be amazing fun =P

10+ Year Old Account
    I love ruins in games, but i always find myself wanting to see what stuff looked like before it fell to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    Still it was really packed when it was current content and even later on there were always quite some people there, even one month before MoP launched there were people there at every time of the day.
    I'd say it was quite popular even though you may not have liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by 93sika View Post
    That second world boss sounds like great fun when someone wants to wipe your raid group on a PVP server :b just make that attack bounce ladies!
    I highly doubt it will jump out/into different raids/parties. It wouldn't bounce off of other faction characters anyway, because you wouldn't be their ally.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I had quite a laugh making it a living hell for the opposing faction to finish their quests.
    World PVP was back, if only for a short time, thanks to this quest hub.

More like world lag. Having a whole server in 1 location lagged like hell.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    I love ruins in games, but i always find myself wanting to see what stuff looked like before it fell to pieces.
    I do hope they do add some different colours to the ruins as you progress further and deeper into the raid. The first few minutes of yesterdays video all resemble the same type of ruin and same outdoor area with no different colours- makes it look rather boring- depends on how the creates are going to fit in I guess? : )