Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    You most certainly get to choose which tech you go with as far as SLC, MLC, TLC goes. That's complete nonsense. Your 830 uses MLC btw, so its as simple as saying I'm going to buy and 830 over an 840.

SLC, MLC, TLC refer to the single layer, multi-layer (double), and triple layer nand memory used in SSDs. SLC stores 1 bit, MLC 2 bits, TLC 3 bits. Because of the larger cells in TLC, they are prone to wearing out quicker, which will eventually be overcome by the chip manufacturing process. Hell, the current manufacturing process could be sufficient enough, but that's the big question isn't it.

If you want a better understanding of TLC and your options, Anand wrote an decent article a while back that you can read:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/u...nding-tlc-nand

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, you CAN choose. But you'll be choosing between old tech and newer tech. The only SLC available are out of date, tiny 32 and 64gb drives, and TLC are still pretty rare on common SSD market

15+ Year Old Account
    @OP i'd pick up a cpu cooler anyways. might as well buy it now if you have any plans to overclock and just get it installed off the bat. if you have no plans, get a h77 motherboard, non-K series CPU and save yourself some cash
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cpu coolers are more quite then stock coolers as well. The I5 stock cleaner sucks at least it does to me I hate hearing it when I don't have my headphones on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    @OP i'd pick up a cpu cooler anyways. might as well buy it now if you have any plans to overclock and just get it installed off the bat. if you have no plans, get a h77 motherboard, non-K series CPU and save yourself some cash
    I am planning on overclocking, I just need a little bit more cash before I can afford a new cooler.

So I should get a Samsung 830 instead? It will all fit together?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
    I am planning on overclocking, I just need a little bit more cash before I can afford a new cooler.

So I should get a Samsung 830 instead? It will all fit together?
    Yes it will fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you get a "Desktop Kit" SSD, or buy one separately (They're like $5). A lot of SSD's are just the bare drive. Make sure its also not a laptop kit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Make sure you get a "Desktop Kit" SSD, or buy one separately (They're like $5). A lot of SSD's are just the bare drive. Make sure its also not a laptop kit.
    What is that? Do I really need it? My budget can't really go much higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its just different 'versions'

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147135 = Desktop, with adapter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147164 = Not desktop, no adapter. Drive is identical.

$20 more which is why you could just get a $5 adapter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Its just different 'versions'

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147135 = Desktop, with adapter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147164 = Not desktop, no adapter. Drive is identical.

$20 more which is why you could just get a $5 adapter
    So it's just an adapter to make it 3.5"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, its just a metal or plastic tray that you put the drive in, and then put that in the 3.5" slot
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994085
    That's what I bought when I got mine. It's nothing special, and some people complained it was 'flimsy' but.. The SSD weighs almost nothing, and as long as you aren't playing dodgeball with your tower, it doesn't really matter.

ProTip: Don't play dodgeball with your tower.

Deleted
    That build seems like a monster gaming/workstation, its a shame the monitor doesn't do justice to that build. If you plan on doing what you call a little 'over clocking' then as llDemonll mentioned, you might be better off just investing in a non K i7 and a H77 board and use Intel's Turbo boost feature.
    Here is a link to explain what it is

Intel's Turbo Boost Technology

In short, its just a quick way for you to increase the speed of your processor, just by giving each core a small bump in frequency. You can play around with this feature and customize this feature to suit your task related needs.

The money saved here, albeit it might be quite small, could really be used to invest in a more robust monitor. If you're based in the US, Newegg has so many bundle deals you could save yourself a pretty cent and opt for a better monitor.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-04 at 11:23 AM.

i bought 2 samsung 830 - they're awesome and extremely cheap for the quality they have. recommended.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    That build seems like a monster gaming/workstation, its a shame the monitor doesn't do justice to that build. If you plan on doing what you call a little 'over clocking' then as llDemonll mentioned, you might be better off just investing in a non K i7 and a H77 board and use Intel's Turbo boost feature.
    Here is a link to explain what it is

Intel's Turbo Boost Technology

In short, its just a quick way for you to increase the speed of your processor, just by giving each core a small bump in frequency. You can play around with this feature and customize this feature to suit your task related needs.

The money saved here, albeit it might be quite small, could really be used to invest in a more robust monitor. If you're based in the US, Newegg has so many bundle deals you could save yourself a pretty cent and opt for a better monitor.
    I live in Denmark so prices are a bit clunky. I am planning on overclocking, I just want to be careful with it since I don't want to harm my computer and I've never done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    i bought 2 samsung 830 - they're awesome and extremely cheap for the quality they have. recommended.
    830's are a little more here in Denmark. Is it worth it?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    830's are a little more here in Denmark. Is it worth it?[/QUOTE]

how much is a OCZ vertex 4 if it's cheaper get that if not get the samsung 830 or a crucial m4.

Here's another decent SSD. Its 10g less but the same price and faster read/write times.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hyper...ston+hyperx+3k

I have the 120g version and it works like a champ. Also comes with a 3.5 mounting bracket.
    Last edited by jholdaway; 2013-01-04 at 01:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    830's are a little more here in Denmark. Is it worth it?
    how much is a OCZ vertex 4 if it's cheaper get that if not get the samsung 830 or a crucial m4.
    It's about $20 more than the Samsung 830.
    Last edited by mmoc1f320b3f5d; 2013-01-04 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
    It's about $20 more than the Samsung 830.
    Hey Gooby, did you read up on the specific products on the web from a reliable source? Did you check the hierarchy chart that I posted?

Samsung 830 256GB is on the 1st tier on the chart, while 830 128GB is only on the 3rd tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Hardware
    The chart has been structured so that each tier represents a 10% difference in performance.
    So between 256GB and 128GB, there is roughly 20% performance. But then again, you're upgrading from a HDD so ANY SSD will blow your mind.

Can you list the options and give the prices of them too? (Please include Vertex 3 240GB to compare please)

10+ Year Old Account
    IDK about you guys, I know OCZ has had some f-ups in the past, but the 5 year fully covered MF warranty they gave me with my Vertex 4 Is enough to trust that it's a phenomenal product. I can sleep safely at night knowing that I'll have a quality SSD for the next 5 years
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

You don't need a desktop kit if you're buying the 650D. The HDD trays accommodate both 3.5" and 2.5" drives. Most newer cases that have tray systems do.

Intel 520, Samsung 830, and Corsair Neutron would all be solid choices IMO and are MLC 2bpc drives.

FYI SLC is still being used, yes in smaller expensive drives due to the higher cost of making it, and low capacity of the chips. Because of it's endurance, it's ideal for SSD Caching, although SRT hasn't been embraced like I'm sure Intel had hoped. It's also very good for server systems. Most mainstream drives however are using MLC right now. Samsung is the first to put out a TLC or MLC 3bpc version. Furthermore, TLC is hardly "newer tech" as you called it. It's been around for a while now.