10+ Year Old Account

autolock old threads

I'm curious why this site disallows thread necromancy yet don't prevent it by closing old threads automatically.
    Vbulletin has a mod that allows such a feature with a small change in the code which is described here. The code change is what makes it close threads based on inactivity time instead of just post age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some threads stay active for a long time, and some topics don't cease being relevant as time passes.

The thread necromancy is more for bumping inactive and outdated threads.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Some threads stay active for a long time, and some topics don't cease being relevant as time passes.

The thread necromancy is more for bumping inactive and outdated threads.
    If a thread is active, then I'd imagine the auto-lock wouldn't kick in.

And if a thread disappears for six months, even if the topic is still relevant, it might be better to just start a new thread rather than dig up an old one.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Some threads don't have the old is no longer relevant.
    Such thing are megathreads in VGD.
    A lot of threads in Fun Stuff, especially game threads.

15+ Year Old Account
    People get infracted when they bump old threads with useless information that doesn't add anything. Say someone has a problem with their video game and makes a post. 6 months down the road, someone else stumbles across the post when searching via Google and either fixes the problem or knows how to fix it. If they come and make a post on that thread, even 6 months later, explaining how they fixed the problem, there's no way I'm going to infract them for thread necromancy because even though it's 6 months old, they're adding relevant and useful information to the discussion (and something like that is a timeless discussion). If they were to come and post 'I used to have this problem and it went away after a while' that would be a useless post

If you're bumping a SPriest DPS build discussion that's relevant to the beginning WotLK and not the current patch, you'll very likely earn yourself a necro infraction
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right