Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ...
    Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I might have missed it in the scare news but when are they coming around to visiting the cliff next time? I just assume this isn't the permanent solution but just something that puts it off for awhile until it becomes some other poor sods problem.

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    I might have missed it in the scare news but when are they coming around to visiting the cliff next time? I just assume this isn't the permanent solution but just something that puts it off for awhile until it becomes some other poor sods problem.
    In two months.

Means we will be in the exact same situation. This time Republicans will aruge for massive spending cuts that affect people long term to provide short term solution for them. They actually are prepared to throw the entire Country shutting it down. Like Newt did over a decade ago in order to get what they want. To me at least. That is no way a government should act.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Why It would stop a show down with Republicans. People would have confidence again. Do we really need two months of drama on the TV. I would rather the President focus on other bills. Congress had an approval rating of 10 percent with House Speaker rating the lowest out of all the members. Even the Gov of NJ a Republican ripped his own party.

It seems like a great loop hole to bypass the republicans.

In this article. It states House Speaker is prepared to shut down the goverment in order to get what he wants. The other solution seems less healthy to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2409656.html
    Oh, I'd be all for it. The part I would laugh at the absolute dumbfounded look Republicans would have it Obama did actually go through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Oh, I'd be all for it. The part I would laugh at the absolute dumbfounded look Republicans would have it Obama did actually go through with it.
    That could be pretty amusing. I do not think the Republicans want have debate on spending cuts. It will make them look bad. The Country does not need this debate in this heavily divided congress. Simply doing it would solve all problems and deal with it later.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Actually Obama offered to give SSI a chained CPI. Which means it would save around rougly 300 billion dollars. It means when the cost of living adjustments go up. It would stay down. For example the price of chicken rises. Instead of rising with higher prices. It would assume the person is eating another food of equal cost costing thousands of dollars of Benefits to go down for millions of Americans.

That actually angered a ton of Dems.

He also hinted at cutting medicare which is insurance program for elderly. There ARE spending cuts. Republicans John Mc Cain took SSI off the table. He did not want to have a argument tax cuts for rich people vs slashing programs for the poor.
    SSI is a tricky subject.

On the one hand it's expensive as hell and doesn't provide enough to retire on by itself.

On the other hand you can't simply end the program because people who've paid into it all their lives depend on it AND it's a kick in the nuts to everyone who is paying into it right now.

What a stupid fucking plan it was.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 01:19 AM ----------

And anyone who legitimately thinks the Debt Ceiling not being raised is an actual risk should probably read the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution (AKA: The Highest Law in the United States).

Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    And anyone who legitimately thinks the Debt Ceiling not being raised is an actual risk should probably read the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution (AKA: The Highest Law in the United States).

Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.
    Unfortunately, some of the people (teabaggers mostly) in Congress seem to have glanced over that part of the Constitution that they claim to love so much.

SSI isn't a stupid plan. Its a solid system that helps address a serious issue (senior poverty). The only problem with it is the trust fund gets raided. Its completely fixable.