Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am from Sweden and i HATE and DETEST the EU, I want out of it right now right here and keep my cash in my country.

For the well being of my country!
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you don't understand anything about patriotism and the "idea" of America Op, but nice try !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    So... the Civil War?

The question regarding dual vs shared Federalism is not "Should the states be allowed to do whatever they want without the Federal government telling them no". The question is "Does the Federal government have unlimited authority to tell the states what to do?"

The problem is that no one seems to respect the 10th Amendment to the Constitution. It's the law that everyone looks and says "Boy that sure is an amendment. Let's look more closely at a single sentence in the Articles and use it to undermine that entire thing."

The Constitution is supposed to be a limiter on what the federal government is and is not allowed to do.

No one is denying that a strong central government to bind the states together is a good thing.

We're saying that a strong central government attempting to treat 320 million people as if they're all the same is a load of shit, and even the Founding Fathers knew it.
    The Civil War is an example of the inability of small government to handle a crisis, yes.

Again, the states could take back their 'rights' at any time, but they don't because they want the Federal government's money. The Constitution is no longer just a limiter on Federal power, it is a foundation and framework. Constitutional elasticity is an organic necessity, and any who say otherwise are quite frankly stupid.

Why is treating people the same a bad thing? You're conflating administrative failure with failure of governance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    So did the Romans, the Greeks, etc. There is a reason the word Slave and Slav are cognates.
    And there is a reason we hate foreigners. You should know. The western media out did themselves before and during the Euro cup, trying to portray Ukraine as the most racist place in the world, remember?

Also Slava in Slavic means glory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Why? I rather like Australia.
    My point was that blind negative statements can be made about every place, and that, therefore, your statement was hypocritical.
    Nothing hypocritical. Big governments = inflexible leviathans with no room for maneuver to implement effective reforms = Europe is in deep shit. It's very funny when Europeans try to claim the high ground, how sensible they are, how green, how welfairy (lol), how they are the most intelligent on planet earth, free healthcare... and all that crap when at the same time they are emigrating faster than the french when they retreat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    And there is a reason we hate foreigners. You should know. The western media out did themselves before and during the Euro cup to portray Ukraine as the most racist place in the world, remember?
    Crimes committed by great powers in the past are a justification for xenophobia, apparently.

Perhaps you should stop giving credence to claims of racism if you're so concerned about being branded a racist.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

And there is a reason we hate foreigners. You should know. The western media out did themselves before and during the Euro cup, trying to portray Ukraine as the most racist place in the world, remember?
    Ehm... No. No; I don't remember. Sorry, but when I think of the Ukraine, 'racism' didn't feature. Well; until now, possibly. Thanks for that. -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Nothing hypocritical. Big governments = inflexible leviathans with no room for maneuver to implement effective reforms = Europe is in deep shit. It's very funny when Europeans try to claim the high ground, how sensible they are, how green, how welfairy (lol), how they are the most intelligent on planet earth, free healthcare... and all that crap when at the same time they are emigrating faster than the french when they retreat.
    As I said, big governments generally respond to crises more effectively.

Sorry, I should clarify. Big -centralized- governments, not big bloated governments.

10+ Year Old Account

Sorry, I should clarify. Big -centralized- governments, not big bloated governments.
    I got your point. France. Big Lol mate. Allons enfants and all that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Well, the Federal government, should in my opinion be able to tell the States what to do for certain cases, example, many social issues such as gay marriage, abortion, and the like. But, there are some checks against the Federal government just overwhelming the states power, the people if they could be mobilized.
    We have an amendment process for things such as civil rights. If something is important enough, it SHOULD be an amendment. Things like that were why the amendment process is there in the first place.

A Constitutional amendment isn't the Federal Government telling anyone to do anything. At least not directly. Because an Amendment is ratified by a full 3/4 of the states' legislatures (or conventions), it is the people and states themselves who are telling the Federal government what to do (or expanding the federal government's power to do something the people view as necessary).

Maybe that's just because you have a prejudice that all Europeans are so happy with their countries.
    They're generally not, you see. Sure; they're happy with the whole green thing, with welfare (though that should be a bit better, honestly), with insurances... But that doesn't mean they're happy with everything else.

A government need not be large to be strong.

Deleted

Also Slava in Slavic means glory.
    So your nationality shows it's hand, how atypical you poison the image of Slavs further with your narrow minded views and single minded stupidity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got your point. France. Big Lol mate. Allons enfants and all that crap.
    Very droll. France has its set of problems, just like the US has its set of problems, as does every other Western country. But do not confuse transient issues with analyses of systemic failure and success.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 12:33 PM ----------

I disagree. What makes a government 'small' is precisely that its powers and authority are limited, ergo making it weak.

Deleted
    Well, what is the difference? To me, a Government should handle Public services, Education, law, Fire and security, transport, defense and health.

Anything else is not needed really, how is this defined as a large or strong government?

10+ Year Old Account
    Very droll. France has its set of problems, just like the US has its set of problems, as does every other Western country. But do not confuse transient issues with analyses of systemic failure and success.
    Transient. We'll see when the EU reaches 15% unemployment.

a patriot loves their country and does what they can to help it.

everyones idea of that is different, which is why i dont trust anyone who calls themself a patriot to act in ways id support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    So your nationality shows it's hand, how atypical you poison the image of Slavs further with your narrow minded views and single minded stupidity.
    Indeed. Furthermore, while Slava might mean glory in Slavic (despite the fact there is no Slavic language, just a Slavic language family), the term Slav in English comes from the Greek Sklaboi which is a Hellenization of the Latin sclavus, meaning slave.

Which of course, is pure etymology and is no comment on the people themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    As you may have noticed, many liberals have been attacking the idea of patriotism. They argue that there is no logical reason to support the nation-state and that patriotism is "evil," because it promotes the idea that America is "better" than other countries. I'd like to take a few moments to express my views on the subject and then allow everyone here to voice their opinion as well.

I support America because we are a right-wing country. America is not just a geographical landmass or a cultural group, America is an idea. Freedom, republican government, an armed populace and constitutionalism are at the forefront of this idea. America is the idea that everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed and fulfill the American Dream. I support America because I believe in this idea and I'm willing to fight for it if I must. Not every country in the world holds this is why I support the nation-state.

What do you think, is patriotism "evil" and/or "illogical?" And do you believe there is any reason to support the nation-state system?
    I like how you, thinly veiled, try to discredit your political opposites under the guise of whatever...

10+ Year Old Account
    Transient. We'll see when the EU reaches 15% unemployment.
    Yes, transient, as all economic problems are because the market cycles out of problems by nature.