Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Maybe that's just because you have a prejudice that all Europeans are so happy with their countries.
    They're generally not, you see. Sure; they're happy with the whole green thing, with welfare (though that should be a bit better, honestly), with insurances... But that doesn't mean they're happy with everything else.
    Sure, you are all very happy, i dunno why would you emigrate to the "world's leader in low average IQ".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I like how you, thinly veiled, try to discredit your political opposites under the guise of whatever...
    I like how he thinks his idea of America being a gun toting, government fearing, God's Wrath fearing state of narrow minded asshats as a good thing.

Conservatism is not a bad thing, every government should have IDEAS TO PROMOTE THIS, but Republicans? All of them seem like crazy greedy old men with 19th century values.

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Sure, you are all very happy, i dunno why would you emigrate to the "world's leader in low average IQ".
    You should take reading lessons perhaps before trying to argue on a forum, it would help you immensely.

Ehm... No. No; I don't remember. Sorry, but when I think of the Ukraine, 'racism' didn't feature. Well; until now, possibly. Thanks for that. -_-
    Really?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-a-coffin.html

"Stay at home, watch it on TV. Don't even risk it ... because you could end up coming back in a coffin."

The "Liberal" media ran stuff like that all the time. People from the US always wonder why no one is Patriotic in Europe. Well you can see why. Second you say you love your country and don't want foreign influence you are branded a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes, transient, as all economic problems are because the market cycles out of problems by nature.
    Transient. You will never see a "full employment" Europe again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Transient. You will never see a "full employment" Europe again.
    You'll never see a "full employment" industrial economy, period. Learn your history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Very droll. France has its set of problems, just like the US has its set of problems, as does every other Western country. But do not confuse transient issues with analyses of systemic failure and success.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 12:33 PM ----------

I disagree. What makes a government 'small' is precisely that its powers and authority are limited, ergo making it weak.
    A strong government has the leverage to enforce its authority. A government backed by a large army and huge funding can be strong without being large provided it is not granted authority in spheres it does not belong.

A large government finds itself involved in areas it does not belong, inefficient and subject to corruption and special interests. A government can be large and inefficient without being strong. Look at the Indian government. It's one of the largest and most inefficient clusterfucks on the planet yet can't enforce rule of law within its own borders.

Deleted
    Maybe that's just because you have a prejudice that all Europeans are so happy with their countries.
    They're generally not, you see. Sure; they're happy with the whole green thing, with welfare (though that should be a bit better, honestly), with insurances... But that doesn't mean they're happy with everything else.
    London could be pathed with gold and we'd still complain that gold is a shit thing to line streets with though.

Alot of Europeans enjoy moaning about things. Politics is an easy subject in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

The "Liberal" media ran stuff like that all the time. People from the US always wonder why no one is Patriotic in Europe. Well you can see why. Second you say you love your country and don't want foreign influence you are branded a racist.
    Yes, because attacking black fans and black footballers is definitely how you demonstrate you are a "patriot." Ukraine was portrayed as racist because *drum roll* it has a real history of racism in football! Shocking right!

Deleted
    Really?

"Stay at home, watch it on TV. Don't even risk it ... because you could end up coming back in a coffin."

Maybe your Government could have done something to stop all the racist neo Nazi's that are very very rampant in your country then? Liking your country is one thing.

Almost killing Football fans of other countries is another.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll never see a "full employment" industrial economy, period. Learn your history.
    Ok so you just proved my point, Europe is doomed haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Yes, because attacking black fans and black footballers is definitely how you demonstrate you are a "patriot." Ukraine was portrayed as racist because *drum roll* it has a real history of racism in football! Shocking right!
    I only feel sorry for poor Poland who's economy is JUST turning around under this to be branded as a shithole just as much.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 08:44 PM ----------

You know.. there are more things than "No Employment" and "Full Employment" right?

I think Didactic's ideas regarding government are stupid and dangerous. Yet anyone with half a brain knows that 100% employment is a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    A strong government has the leverage to enforce its authority. A government backed by a large army and huge funding can be strong without being large provided it is not granted authority in spheres it does not belong.

A large government finds itself involved in areas it does not belong, inefficient and subject to corruption and special interests. A government can be large and inefficient without being strong. Look at the Indian government. It's one of the largest and most inefficient clusterfucks on the planet yet can't enforce rule of law within its own borders.
    And managing that army and funding by definition requires increased administration, making it a large government. QED.

Because India itself is an artifice, and given their ethnic and religious diversity they are doing quite well.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Didactic's ideas regarding government are stupid and dangerous. Yet anyone with half a brain knows that 100% employment is a bad thing.
    It's not just a bad thing, it's impossible with a modern economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Full employment is not 100% employment for most schools of economic thought. Anyone with a Bachelor of Economics knows that.
    Last edited by larrakeyah; 2013-01-05 at 08:50 PM.

Really?

You realize that that's in the Telegraph, right..?
    First off: Most of the EU countries don't have the Telegraph.
    Second: It's a sports item. In an English newspaper. Yeah; I've got some prejudice about sports in the English media. Translating some pieces made me cringe. If it's in an English sports section, you shouldn't take it seriously.

Deleted
    Your ideas about government are confusing and based off of semantics, you basically say the Government isn't big if it has huge administration because it has "Laws" that make it not able to do... some things?

That sounds like a constitution, something EVERY Western country has.

Don't hate nor do I love my country. Although I'd say I'm lucky to have been in one of the most non-oppressive & tolerant countries in the world.

I feel some sense of belonging watching various sports where my countrymen compete in, and when mentioned in International news. But other than that I feel nothing special.

Patriotism is pretty much a no go for me, going by the wiki definition it basically means blind loyalty to your country. Nationalism is a little more "open-minded" but I don't think I'd qualify for that group either. I'm just sort of neutral/not interested; if anything I'd say I'm "loyal" to logic, reason & humanism.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Full employment is not 100% employment for most schools of economic thought.
    Them schools of thought should grab a dictionary, because thats exactly what Full Employment means? Or do you want the smarter term?

Where Full Employment means all jobs are filled up?