Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    American public transit doesn't have to be terrible. It just is because we don't fund it. Americans prefer driving themselves around, even when it results in traffic that makes you want to kill yourself and everyone around you.
    One of the major problems I also heard it is very easy to mug someone on a bus or a train in America, as weird as it sounds, cameras on buses is totally fine, they're public places that do need security.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Wut. I call myself a Democrat because that is the party to which I align.

Nothing wrong with government. In fact, pretty much every problem with the current government is the result of the system's design. So blame the Founders.
    Um, no? Foreign Aid, playing World Police, depriving citizens of their constitutional rights? None of those things were implemented by the founders. Those are all modern issues, resulting in a very "Un-American" United States. (Note: America is a super-continent, the United States is the nation which you people are referring to. Please remember basic geography.)
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Deleted
    Good. We could use another Western power bloc.
    We can have that without being a huge Conglomerate of Country-states.

Being a decent trading union for one, We need Germany and France to step aside and be less controling first.

10+ Year Old Account
    opposing patriotism =/= opposing america

Your poll is a bit loaded

None of the answers in the pole work for me. I'm Faroese, united with Greenland and Denmark in the kingdom of Denmark. Denmark is part of EU.
    I'm a proud Faroese, I support the unity of the kingdom and I support EU. I see myself as patriotic still.

Deleted
    What about countries that want to remain independent yet remain a part of the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    One of the major problems I also heard it is very easy to mug someone on a bus or a train in America, as weird as it sounds, cameras on buses is totally fine, they're public places that do need security.
    I live in a relatively small NJ town that's fairly well-to-do. I avoid New York City like the plague were still a thing in there. I wouldn't know much about public transit even if what you said were true.

Nevertheless, if a place like a public bus needs security, that's one thing. The cameras on your streets are more than a little creepy, though. I mean... you already live in the geographical location of Airstrip One... do you really have to turn your country into it for realsies?

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    What about countries that want to remain independent yet remain a part of the EU?
    I'd assume "tough shit" would be the response of the EU government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    Um, no? Foreign Aid, playing World Police, depriving citizens of their constitutional rights? None of those things were implemented by the founders. Those are all modern issues, resulting in a very "Un-American" United States. (Note: America is a super-continent, the United States is the nation which you people are referring to. Please remember basic geography.)
    First off, America and the United States are used interchangeably in layman's terms.

Secondly, all of those problems can be traced to the Founding. The former two are the progeny of the philosophical tradition that was begun with the creation of the American Republic, the latter is simply the government attempting to deal with the limitations placed on it at the founding (which is NOT a comment on whether or not I support said abrogations).

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 01:05 PM ----------

We can have that without being a huge Conglomerate of Country-states.

Being a decent trading union for one, We need Germany and France to step aside and be less controling first.
    No one power within the current EU has the military or economic might to compete with the emerging power blocs in South and East Asia. Consolidation is a necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Even formulated differently would make that the dumbest statement ever. Having to choose between independence and economic suicide sounds way too Soviet.

I disagree. American hegemony is pretty much essential for the peaceful functioning of the world. No matter how aligned our interests might be with such a nation, there would eventually be a power struggle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either client states, or tough shit.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you also want to debate economics, you'll have to look that Full employment STILL has never been achieved as it's only a theoretical.
    It has been achieved, when the people who want a job can get one, that's full employment for the layman. It's not 100% unemployment because a lot of people rationally don't want to get a job. Both Singapore and Australia (Australia a few months ago) achieved that, and probably more countries, maybe Hong Kong and South Korea?

In the coal mine where i worked 2 years ago the company had to go abroad to recruit people. The fucking Australian Army is paying a ton of money to U.S veterans to emigrate to Australia because they dont' have enough people, submarines docked for lack of people. That's full employment which is not the same as 100% employment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree. American hegemony is pretty much essential for the peaceful functioning of the world. No matter how aligned our interests might be with such a nation, there would eventually be a power struggle.
    No, the most stable systems are multipolar ones in which a balance of power operates. That, and the US simply doesn't have the means necessary to sustain itself as the sole hyperpower anymore.

Deleted
    Wow, you guys really seem to think of the EU as a new Soviet Union.

Deleted
    I live in a relatively small NJ town that's fairly well-to-do. I avoid New York City like the plague were still a thing in there. I wouldn't know much about public transit even if what you said were true.

Nevertheless, if a place like a public bus needs security, that's one thing. The cameras on your streets are more than a little creepy, though. I mean... you already live in the geographical location of Airstrip One... do you really have to turn your country into it for realsies?
    [/COLOR]

Honestly? I would agree with you about the cameras if I didn't know they were much better positioned than people let on, most cameras are in two places

A) High Streets

B) High Traffic areas

One stops muggers and violence.

The other stops pricks with terrible driving.

They're not the worst thing to happen really, Cameras are only put in residential areas when voted for by the residents.

Eh, all countries in the EU are there voluntarily. Nobody forced them to join..

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, you guys really seem to think of the EU as a new Soviet Union.
    As said, the states that joined did so voluntarily. You cannot have a stable political union if people are permitted to go back and forward willy-nilly; hence why secession is illegal in the United States.

Deleted

Pretty sure the only people who'd want this are France and Germany.

UK don't even really enjoy the EU as is, we have better trading licenses through the commonwealth.

Even formulated differently would make that the dumbest statement ever. Having to choose between independence and economic suicide sounds way too Soviet.
    Actually the choice would be between submission to the federal government or economic suicide.

Regardless, if your'e referring to nations that are a part of the EU without using the Euro... my response is "I'm not sure what would happen."

Such a government seems to simply be the most recent incarnation of close ties between nations. However these ties tend to be governmental in nature (In this case, in intent as well) and expansion of power is what government does best. I see no future for the EU that doesn't involve a federal union or collapse (Of the EU government, not individual European governments). And consideration the shared currency and dependence on the free trade the Eurozone creates... I don't see collapse being allowed to happen.

I'm no futurist... but if I had to predict a future for the EU it would be America 2.0 with Germany as your New England (Ruling bloc and economic center) and France as your California (Secondary economic powerhouse that finds itself at odds with the former).

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure the only people who'd want this are France and Germany.

UK don't even really enjoy the EU as is, we have better trading licenses through the commonwealth.
    The UK stands to gain a lot from investing more energy in the EU. Outside it, it will be reduced to a junior partner of the United States.

As sad as it is, the British Empire is no longer the power it once was. She needs allies with which to work in the modern world, and the EU offers the Alliance with the most input.