Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Well, going by his track record, I imagine he'd have trouble remembering what he wanted to do if he were ever President.
    All the nutrients that his brain should be getting are going straight to his dye treated hair... >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Obama 2024

That would surely ruffle some feathers.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Obama 2024

That would surely ruffle some feathers.
    Michelle for prez.
    Keep The Beats!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...s/d113HR.lst::

http://www.examiner.com/article/pres...es-term-limits

If this gets past Congress, I don't imagine a majorly Democratic Senate would block this. I don't even know what to say.
    Actually, I'd support term limits for congress and the senate, long long before I'd consider repealing the 22nd amendment. Sorry. We have enough professional politicians as it is... we dont need to encourage them further to gorge themselves at the public trough at the expense of the taxpayers.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Change is a virtue, imo.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...s/d113HR.lst::

http://www.examiner.com/article/pres...es-term-limits

If this gets past Congress, I don't imagine a majorly Democratic Senate would block this. I don't even know what to say.
    Removing an ammendment to the Constitution isn't that easy. They have to be passed by 38 out of 50 state conventions. I'm sure many states would not even convene to to even begin debating this.

I don't mind this solution so much, though I wouldn't even be opposed to two 3 year terms either.
    I would rather have only a single 6 year term. Less elections is a good thing if they are going to continue like the last one. The whole year is basically wasted because all the politicians want to delay the important or controversial decisions until after the election which created the fiscal cliff bs. A 3 year term would mean the Pres would really only works for 2/3 of the time instead of 3/4 of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    The US should remove the requirement that the president be born in the US. It's like a big "F U !!!!" to immigrant children.
    As interesting as this is, No

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Sure. But don't let this take effect until after Obama's second term is over.

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

Well Rep. Serrano has introduced this resolution every two years since 1997. 2 times during Clinton, FOUR times during Bush, now twice under Obama. Even though I hate almost every politician out there. Leave the 22nd Amendment alone. Plus the process after (IF) both chambers passed the resolution would be long and a tough road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    Michelle for prez.
    I actually think she can already do that. No one stopped Hillary Clinton from running. (other then the fact that she lost to Obama in the Primaries). And we've already had plenty of other presidents with family connections to others including children of former presidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    To expand on term limits. They should also apply to GOVENORS! Here in texas, Gov Hair as i like to call him is going on his freaking 3rd term. A lot of us really disapprove of his shenanigans although we're still sadly in the minority because since the political climate became nasty, a lot of his votes come from the "ANYBODY BUT A DEMOCRAT" crowd.

Seriously, no one should have to suffer 3 terms of Rick Perry. Now imagine Rick perry was our President....
    Hrm a tyrannical religious zealot trying to impose his will on the masses.
    Secret service would be working double time to keep him safe.

But yeah unless their is a clause that removes a president from office should his/her approval rating drop below a certain point I will never support life long candidacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Actually, I'd support term limits for congress and the senate, long long before I'd consider repealing the 22nd amendment. Sorry. We have enough professional politicians as it is... we dont need to encourage them further to gorge themselves at the public trough at the expense of the taxpayers.
    Seeing as they all get free healthcare for life even after just 5 years it is more cost effective to have the same people in office as long as possible. A reasonable term limit for congressmen like somewhere between 10-20 years would be fine though.

Oh and they get a pension too as long as they serve at least 5 years. You have to be in the military for 20 to get anything and that is a million times harder than being a congressman.
    Last edited by Prokne; 2013-01-06 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I would rather have only a single 6 year term. Less elections is a good thing if they are going to continue like the last one. The whole year is basically wasted because all the politicians want to delay the important or controversial decisions until after the election which created the fiscal cliff bs. A 3 year term would mean the Pres would really only works for 2/3 of the time instead of 3/4 of the time.
    Wouldn't you say in that case that the problem is with the commercialization of elections then, rather than how often we have them?

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    I actually think she can already do that. No one stopped Hillary Clinton from running. (other then the fact that she lost to Obama in the Primaries). And we've already had plenty of other presidents with family connections to others including children of former presidents.
    Hillary at least held an elected office before running for President.

The thread's more about the fact that HJ Res 15 is being introduced to the HoR for voting and to start a constructive discussion on the topic. I'd appreciate if you'd contribute with some insight rather than just replying "No, end of thread," as it completely undermines the entire purpose of this thread.
    Then how's this for constructive:

No, we don't need it. Our politicians are in office too long anyway.
    No it's not going to pass Congress.
    If by some God-given miracle it passes Congress, it won't be ratified by 75% of the states.
    If it is somehow ratified by 75% of the states, I will eat my own hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Seeing as they all get free healthcare for life even after just 1 term it is more cost effective to have the same people in office as long as possible. A reasonable term limit for congressmen like somewhere between 10-20 years would be fine though.
    I never understood this. If congressmen/women are the same as all of us, why can't they have the same healthcare that all of us are going to have? The health plan they get is ridiculous IMO, and should be repealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Then how's this for constructive:

No, we don't need it. Our politicians are in office too long anyway.
    No it's not going to pass Congress.
    If by some God-given miracle it passes Congress, it won't be ratified by 75% of the states.
    If it is somehow ratified by 75% of the states, I will eat my own hand.
    Much better, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    I dunno if I could get behind her I wouldn't really want someone who is so compassionate about that they forget to look at the future consequences of their actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    To expand on term limits. They should also apply to GOVENORS! Here in texas, Gov Hair as i like to call him is going on his freaking 3rd term. A lot of us really disapprove of his shenanigans although we're still sadly in the minority because since the political climate became nasty, a lot of his votes come from the "ANYBODY BUT A DEMOCRAT" crowd.

Seriously, no one should have to suffer 3 terms of Rick Perry. Now imagine Rick perry was our President....
    Many states in fact DO have term limits for Governors, as far as you not wanting your governor to continue in office, then vote him out.

We don't need to remove the term limits, we need to implement them for Congress. Career politicians are part of our problem...

Absolutely not, not ever. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by RH exact View Post
    If they reduced terms to 3 years, then it would be okay to increase the limit to 3 terms.
    This I could agree with.