Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    Australia has a leader born outside the country. But I agree I believe a natural born citizen should be a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    We don't need to remove the term limits, we need to implement them for Congress. Career politicians are part of our problem...
    Nonsense. There are plenty of people who have been in government for long periods of time who faithfully serve their constituents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by americandavey View Post
    Well Rep. Serrano has introduced this resolution every two years since 1997. 2 times during Clinton, FOUR times during Bush, now twice under Obama. Even though I hate almost every politician out there. Leave the 22nd Amendment alone. Plus the process after (IF) both chambers passed the resolution would be long and a tough road.
    Despite this, he keeps getting re-elected. Someone should give Serrano his term limits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    The thread's more about the fact that HJ Res 15 is being introduced to the HoR for voting and to start a constructive discussion on the topic. I'd appreciate if you'd contribute with some insight rather than just replying "No, end of thread," as it completely undermines the entire purpose of this thread.
    Okay, here is my constructiveness... No. term limits are a positive influence on controlling corruption and the desire to do nothing and just suck at the taxpayer tete.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think they should do away with a president continuing to be paid $200k per year after they are no longer in office. Let them be normal people again and have to actually work for a living. The same for all politicians. Make them have to earn their way after they leave office rather than living high on the hog off of taxpayers money.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Okay, here is my constructiveness... No. term limits are a positive influence on controlling corruption and the desire to do nothing and just suck at the taxpayer tete.
    If a politician is corrupt and useless then why is he getting voted in?

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Wouldn't you say in that case that the problem is with the commercialization of elections then, rather than how often we have them?
    Commercialization makes them annoying and expensive but they inherently dissuade politicians from doing their job of governing. Pretty much nothing gets done during an election year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Seeing as they all get free healthcare for life even after just 5 years it is more cost effective to have the same people in office as long as possible. A reasonable term limit for congressmen like somewhere between 10-20 years would be fine though.

Oh and they get a pension too as long as they serve at least 5 years. You have to be in the military for 20 to get anything and that is a million times harder than being a congressman.
    I was thinking 6 years as a Congressman (thats 3 terms), 12 years as a Senator (2 terms)... then if they cant make a positive enough mark on the country to get elected President then can go the hell back home and be a citizen like they should be first and foremost... professional politicians where never intended... the concept of citizen-legislator has been lost in the sea of money flowing into politicians to buy their influence.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If a politician is corrupt and useless then why is he getting voted in?
    Because the greater part of the voter base doesn't care to look beyond the shiniest ads put before them. Undecided voters are ultimately what make or break an election.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason we went to term limits, remember there used to be no presidential term limits...to get rid of them now would be absolutely moronic. You'd see even more corruption and payoffs than you do now, as it is the first term is spent bribing and doing favors for re-election, nothing ever gets done unil second term for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Because the greater part of the voter base doesn't care to look beyond the shiniest ads put before them. Undecided voters are ultimately what make or break an election.
    Then fix campaign finance. You don't get to come in and say "No! Your reasons for voting for this guy aren't good enough and you aren't allowed to elect him to office".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    Shows what your guarantees are worth.

And there's plenty more.
    Last edited by mmoc9a3f420f67; 2013-01-06 at 06:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it would create a dependency on one person, I do not want one person to have all the wait on his shoulders. With no term limit he could effectively make it so he has to say in office to make things work. You can say it will never happen, "We learn from our past" but there are two thing I know, history bites you in the ass and
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe
    A.E.
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-01-06 at 06:17 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    There's a reason we went to term limits, remember there used to be no presidential term limits...to get rid of them now would be absolutely moronic. You'd see even more corruption and payoffs than you do now, as it is the first term is spent bribing and doing favors for re-election, nothing ever gets done unil second term for that reason.
    We got term limits for the presidency because a guy got elected to office several times in a row and the opposition couldn't stand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Then how's this for constructive:

No, we don't need it. Our politicians are in office too long anyway.
    No it's not going to pass Congress.
    If by some God-given miracle it passes Congress, it won't be ratified by 75% of the states.
    If it is somehow ratified by 75% of the states, I will eat my own hand.
    I'm with Rukentuts on this... I'll eat my hand too... I envision we'll see manned human colonies on the Moon and Mars before the 22nd is repealed.

Show me a politician that truly cares about the people and I might consider supporting repealing 22... but none exist in either party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Many states in fact DO have term limits for Governors, as far as you not wanting your governor to continue in office, then vote him out.
    We try. Getting closer, but too many people vote for him because he doesnt have a D next to his name rather than the issues he stands for. Just wished our state would pass one of those term limit laws >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I don't see what the two party system has to do with term limits.

Campaign finance is what causes politicians to be constantly running for election. All term limits do is tell the electorate that they can't vote for the person they really like.
    It was a way of highlighting one of the many faults in our current system.

1. It's a two-party system with bias laws designed to keep it that way.
    2. You can become president without winning the popular vote.

Honestly there are just more important issues with the system. Removing term-limits should be the last thing they worry about.

That's saying nothing of the more pressing matters like, I don't know, the deficit, economy, debt ceiling, multiple wars, ect and so on. It just seems like a porly-timed power grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Personally, I think they should do away with a president continuing to be paid $200k per year after they are no longer in office. Let them be normal people again and have to actually work for a living. The same for all politicians. Make them have to earn their way after they leave office rather than living high on the hog off of taxpayers money.
    Seeing as most businesses dont give pensions anymore I agree. They can put part of their salaries into 401ks or IRAs like everyone else. I think its ok for the president to receive a small pension though since they normally continue to support the country in one way or another. There arent many ex-presidents anyway. Anyone else though isnt even close to as important as a president or has as difficult as a job. Presidents serve for 4-8 years and look like theyve aged 4x that at the end. Congressmen serve for decades and age normally, their job is not as hard.

It's a term limit so we don't get a dictatorship. Derp.

Although I'd vote for Bill Clinton one more time for sure!

In all democracies, there should be term limit of 4 years at a time, for every 4 years of service. And re-election can happen only if more than 120% of previous count of electors accept re-election.