Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Father 67, Plans to take own life before hes "gibbering wreck", Leaving behind.....

A 6 ~ year old son

First, let me just make it clear, hes not planning on taking it any time soon, just when he starts to become dependent on others, this is because he doesn't want his sons memories of him to be a "gibbering wreck" when he dies. It could be tomorrow could be in 5 years time,

Heres the article

The BBC broadcaster John Simpson has revealed that he has initiated plans to take his own life rather than allow his young son to see him become a “gibbering wreck” in his old age.

Simpson, 67, said that he had acquired pills which would allow him to commit suicide, should he ever become so inacapacitated that he loses control over his physical and mental faculties.

The BBC World Affairs Editor said he was not advocating euthanasia as a public policy. But he did not see why laws passed by MPs should prevent him from taking the ultimate decision over his own life.

The veteran reporter, who has a six year-old son with second wife Dee Kruger, spent four days at a residential care home, living alongside Alzheimer’s disease sufferers, for a BBC1 documentary, When I Get Older.

At a screening of the film, he said: “I’m already working on ways of ensuring that I don’t end up dependent on someone else. I have a couple of bottles of pills handy. I’m not advocating it for anyone else.”

“I don’t want my 6 year-old son to have his main memories of me as a gibbering wreck. I’d rather take an early ‘out’ than just hang on for the sake of keeping on breathing and all the other bodily functions.”

Mr Simpson, famed for his reports from the globe’s trouble-spots, confirmed that he was actively exploring voluntary euthanasia. He told the Independent: “It is my life. I don’t want to be told by a group of MPs, for instance, what I’m going to do with my life.

“I don’t want someone to feed me and wipe my backside. So I’ve already, kind of, got it worked out in my own mind, how to make sure that doesn’t happen.

“Not everybody that makes all the arrangements does it. It may not be possible. But now at least I know how it can be done, and if I felt the need for doing it, I would."

He explained: “I’ve got a little six year-old and I don’t want his main memories of me to be somebody that can’t look after himself, that doesn’t have anything to say for themselves that’s of interest or value. I’d rather go out early or on, sort of, a ‘ high’ than linger on simply to keep breathing.”

Mr Simpson was aware that his physician, or family members, may face prosecution in the event that they assisted his suicide. He said: “By God, if we’re not allowed to make our own decisions about our own lives, well I’m not sure it’s a life worth living anyway.”

In the BBC film, broadcast next week, Mr Simpson breaks down in tears when he confronts the idea that he may be too infirm to play rugby with his son Rafe, when he is a teenager. He discloses his plan to take fatal pills on screen, after living alongside residents suffering dementia at the home.

Mr Simpson’s revelation follows a BBC documentary in which author Sir Terry Pratchett, a sufferer from early-onset of Alzheimer’s, followed a 71 year-old motor–neurone sufferer who went to the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland to end his life.

Sir Terry said the “vast majority” of people in Britain supported assisted suicide and revealed that he had begun the formal process of applying to end his own life at the clinic.

Mr Simpson agreed to take part in a primetime BBC1 season looking at the reality of life for older people in Britain and the choices that the elderly have to make. The BBC journalist joined other “OAP celebrities” Gloria Hunniford, 71, Tony Robinson, 65, and actress Lesley Joseph, 69, who spent time inside care homes.

Mr Simpson said: “I stayed for a week in this home for dementia sufferers, which was a lovely place – I fell in love with the staff and their gentleness and kindness. I really thought ‘I could operate here, I could live here, I could make a go of it’.

“I’m not going to be doing any topping (myself) until I actually, simply cannot look after myself or I’m just looking down the barrel of the likelihood that I won’t be able to look after myself. Then we’ll see.”

Ms Hunniford said she had allocated sufficient financial resources to ensure that she would ultimately be able to die at peace inside her own home. The BBC presenter expressed concern at cuts in staffing levels at residential care homes, citing the treatment of her sister, a dementia sufferer, who had to be taken to hospital and rehydrated on six occasions because of neglect at her care home. The broadcaster said: "When push came to shove there wasn't enough nursing staff to make sure she ate and drank the fundamentals. It's a huge problem."

Tony Robinson described care homes as "prisons that people are sent to as a punishment for being old".
    Whats your general thoughts here?

Personally this is why I believe the elderly shouldn't have children in the first place, is it not enough that, that boy might or any other child might get to the age where they begin to understand death, then lose their father (Mother in some cases) but for a person to actually turn around and use their child as a part of an excuse to die, is just wrong,

I can understand why people want to be euthanized, and want it to be legal, but what I disagree with is his reasoning behind it, essentially to "protect" his son, my two cents, if you had this frame of mind, you shouldn't of had a child in the first place.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/bbc-broadcaster-john-simpson-says-he-plans-to-commit-suicide-rather-than-allow-young-son-to-see-him-as-a-gibbering-wreck-in-old-age-7888678.html?fb_action_ids=518640818167673&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_mult iline&action_object_map={%22518640818167673%22%3A10151859275575006}&action_type_map={%2251 8640818167673%22%3A%22news.reads%22}&action_ref_map=[]#access_token=AAADWQ6323IoBACt570jVvoZCRyVNVlDiZA4QZCn2khZAtpHB7yaJEVTh58qAC4ZB55kmRQh3EZA 8R8B0uSaAlCaO5yy88UreZC8FqIrpEEO6gZDZD&expires_in=5863
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-06 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Put the link as a link.

Deleted
    Haven't read through all the sources yet, but does he have some sort of medical condition or is he just assuming that he will become a gibbering wreck? because obviously thats not how it is for everyone.

I re read it,

Pretty sure he has nothing, somewhere in the article it says if he develops anything mental or physical,

Ah here it is,

The BBC broadcaster John Simpson has revealed that he has initiated plans to take his own life rather than allow his young son to see him become a “gibbering wreck” in his old age.

Simpson, 67, said that he had acquired pills which would allow him to commit suicide, should he ever become so inacapacitated that he loses control over his physical and mental facultie
    Second paragraph

I don't see a problem with that.

I wouldn't want to live long enough where people have to wipe my arse or spoon feed me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I re read it,

Pretty sure he has nothing, somewhere in the article it says if he develops anything mental or physical,

Ah here it is,

Second paragraph
    Ah I see, well in that case I find it rather odd that he would go to such lengths based on something that is more likely not to happen, still I guess if he did become incapable of doing things then he wouldn't be able to kill himself.

I dunno, it's a tough one, on the one hand I sympathise with his unwillingness to live in a state like that, but on the other, I feel like his child would want to have some say in it, and would probably be too young to understand what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post

I wouldn't want to live long enough where people have to wipe my arse or spoon feed me.
    I agree with what you say, but I meant if he had that mentality which is fine, he shouldn't of had a child, for example, lets say he gets ill in 6 years time, the child is 12, comprehends death and suffering, and his father tells him hes going to die between 6 months and a year from Alzheimers or cancer, or hes got a chronic disease where hes losing motor control slowly over time, but to stop any of it happening, next week hes flying out to Sweden or wherever, and hes taking his own life, I disagree with putting that on a young childs shoulders so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I agree with what you say, but I meant if he had that mentality which is fine, he shouldn't of had a child, for example, lets say he gets ill in 6 years time, the child is 12, comprehends death and suffering, and his father tells him hes going to die between 6 months and a year from Alzheimers or cancer, or hes got a chronic disease where hes losing motor control slowly over time, but to stop any of it happening, next week hes flying out to Sweden or wherever, and hes taking his own life, I disagree with putting that on a young childs shoulders so to speak
    Yes of course but what would you prefer? To grow up and understand why he did it or see an empty shell with what used to be a loved one trapped inside until their body eventually gives up?

Deleted
    I understand him. If I ever end up living for the sake of living (dipers, spoonfed, assisted cleaning) I would rather die and see what is on the other side.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand his reasoning, but I don't understand why he has to make an international spectacle of himself. Media drama, seriously...

I don't see an issue with his plan at all. After watching my grandmother die while asking us to shoot her because she was in so much pain and agony, I can see 100% why he would want to spare his child that pain and allow himself a quick and easy (hopefully) death.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post

My great grandfather was nearly at this spot for a while before he died. He needed help in and out of the bathroom, but still did his business on his own, thank goodness.

Taking care of an elderly person who is beyond the threshold for self care is tireless work. I'd do it again in a heart beat, of course, but this Simpson guy is thoughtful, I suppose is the word, for saving himself and his family the torture of watching him die slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Can't say I see any issue; people who are anti-euthanasia/suicide are usually emotionally selfish to the point where they'd rather have a loved one suffer than come to terms with their dignified death. Generally i'm live and let live, die and let die.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I understand his reasoning, but I don't understand why he has to make an international spectacle of himself. Media drama, seriously...
    He did a documentary on Alzheimer's patients and the elderly in homes. The media asked him if he would want to live like the people in the documentary when he becomes older. He responds by saying that he would not and has already taken steps to make sure it never happens. Writer/editor sensationalizes in order for people to read the article.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Deleted
    I still don't think it's justified without having a disease that will make you impossible to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I understand him. If I ever end up living for the sake of living (dipers, spoonfed, assisted cleaning) I would rather die and see what is on the other side.
    I have no problem with people wanting to end their lives as long as they are making an informed decision and are in a stable mental state. But, what makes you think there is something on 'the other side?' Everything observed, with no exceptions, indicate there is anything waiting for anyone after death. There is just nothing.
    Taka of Deus Vox

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Takamuri View Post
    There is just nothing.
    You don't know either, and it's not like we can prove nor disprove it, so it's pretty much open for discussion, so to speak.

I agree with him, not much more else to say other than two philosophical points I believe in:

- You should be allowed to make the ultimate decision about your own life.
    - A body without the mind is not a life, living and breathing is one thing, but the capacity to think is what makes me who I am. Without this, death is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

If I were ever unable to do the things I love due to age, I think the same thoughts would cross my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    You don't know either, and it's not like we can prove nor disprove it, so it's pretty much open for discussion, so to speak.
    There has been nothing observed to say otherwise. Until there is evidence of anything else we can only use what has been observed. Doing anything else is just arguing with the imaginations of anyone who comes up with unfounded theories (mainly religions.) Living a life based on expecting there to be more after this one, when there is no scientific reason to expect there to be, is a kind of silly thing to do.
    Taka of Deus Vox

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    I agree with him, not much more else to say other than two philosophical points I believe in:

- You should be allowed to make the ultimate decision about your own life.
    - A body without the mind is not a life, living and breathing is one thing, but the capacity to think is what makes me who I am. Without this, death is better.
    I have to agree 100%, I would even add;

- A mind without the body is not a life (In my eyes anyway)

I know some people have very productive, and possibly also very fulfilling lives being locked in a wheelchair having to rely on another person 24/7 365, but if I (god forbid, knock on wood and any other saying that might exist to avoid that lol) ever had that happen to me, if I was denied the rights through "legal" termination on a hospital.., I would hope a family member, or friend was kind enough to aid me in taking my own life.

There was a case in the UK about a man being in the above scenario, who was denied termination on a hospital by the hospital staff, and courts, because his mind was still working to full capacity, yet he was forced to rely on family members and outside help doing everything, which he found was humiliating amongst other things. (Not sure if he's still alive or not)

I honestly can't see the humane in that scenario as there was no child involved, perhaps if there's a child like in the news article, you can argue the overall point to a certain age of the child due to bonds between parent / child, and psychological impact it may have on said child, if the parent however incapacitated is taken away to soon.

Society wants children to be able to take responsibility in deciding their own future from the age of 10-12 and onwards, yet when it comes to these issues society is being very hypocritical in my eyes!