Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    The bullshit disability card was pulled by botters in every botted game for at least a decade. Just unban and exempt from anti-botting measures all people who can provide proof for a disability.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    or make the blue pvp set purchasable with money instead of honor. i feel like the honor points currency has run its course. allowing people to buy the entry level pvp set with money instead of honor would essentially provide two things. one would be the entry level barrier would be essentially removed as you wouldnt have to spend however long it takes to grind the all the honor for the pieces. more people not getting insta gibbed and being able to actually contribute in a more meaningful manner provides for better gameplay imo. the second thing is it would, in theory, cut down on a lot of the bots. whats the point in botting if the currency you get from it gives you nothing?

the downside to this is what do you reward people with in normal bgs. i havent quite come up with an idea for it other than maybe make honor used to buy cosmetic stuff. transmog items, pets, maybe reputation coins or something. you would also most likely have to restrict the gear from being used in dungeons. or they could possibly go the swtor route and make a comparable entry level pve set that you obtain upon hitting the max level.

just my theory and opinions

Click to Move is extremely widely used. No.

Also, only about 1/2 of bots use it, alot you have to disable it for them to work.

So in short, your removing a control feature that millions use, to temporarily inconvenience a very small percentage of bots.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    The bullshit disability card was pulled by botters in every botted game for at least a decade. Just unban and exempt from anti-botting measures all people who can provide proof for a disability.
    I thought this thread was about discussing a solution to curb botting not giving anyone that can provide proof of disability a free pass to bot as much as they want with no repercussions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Let's say hypothetically that Blizzard removes "click-to-move" from the game; you're still vastly underestimating the people who have designed these bots. They're excellent programmers. They'd find something else to make their bots viable.
    Yes but it takes time. In the end I don't think there's a game that has never fully managed to wipe out the bots. RuneScape had like 1-2 years ago massive bot nuke day where they updated their engines and even though I was botting also (in the end its runescape lol), the most popular botting programs died for a good 6 months or so.
    Point is if Blizzard does something radical it won't stop the botters forever but for a good chunk of time. And it's still better than nothing.

Deleted

I honestly refuse to believe that someone can be this stupid. Let's make people with disabilities go wait in a freaking line at their Social Security to get tested and get a document stating they have a disability that requires they using CTM, and then mail it to Blizzard so they can check and code the game to enable certain options on certain accounts, all so the guy/gal, can play a game, like he had previously for years.

I absolutely refuse to believe you are this stupid.

Then all those 1 handed/armed players can file a lawsuit against blizzard for discrim.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't get it.

You really, REALLY, don't!

Even if CTM is disabled, the bot devs will simply have the bot move characters thru keypress emulation. By eliminating CTM, or having a part of Blizz's customer base prove something that is none of Blizz's business, you end up with the same bot problem, and aggravated customers.

Your problem is not solved, even with such a backwards idea. Whether CTM is actioned upon in any way, shape, or form, will NOT have any incidence whatsoever on the status of bots, aside from the same downtime they have when a new patch comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    or make the blue pvp set purchasable with money instead of honor. i feel like the honor points currency has run its course. allowing people to buy the entry level pvp set with money instead of honor would essentially provide two things. one would be the entry level barrier would be essentially removed as you wouldnt have to spend however long it takes to grind the all the honor for the pieces. more people not getting insta gibbed and being able to actually contribute in a more meaningful manner provides for better gameplay imo. the second thing is it would, in theory, cut down on a lot of the bots. whats the point in botting if the currency you get from it gives you nothing?

the downside to this is what do you reward people with in normal bgs. i havent quite come up with an idea for it other than maybe make honor used to buy cosmetic stuff. transmog items, pets, maybe reputation coins or something. you would also most likely have to restrict the gear from being used in dungeons. or they could possibly go the swtor route and make a comparable entry level pve set that you obtain upon hitting the max level.

just my theory and opinions
    No just have new dungeons in expansion offer equivalent pve or pvp items if you win the roll.

Eh I use click to move when I am flying far distances or going a distance that is kinda far that is a straight line and I kinda alt-tab to look at something real quick or use it while I am trying to type something while on the move. Basically I just use it for a convenience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You can hit num lock and accomplish the same thing
    Auto-run doesn't work as well (at all, to me, but that's more personal) for flying in the slightest. I also just don't like auto-run and have it unbound.

The point is that click to move has legitimate uses, which is why it's in the game. If it doesn't do much to actually harm botters, why would you remove something that many legitimate players use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    yeah, but... Z axis...
    I described earlier how to "fix" this:

1) start your mount on a hill
    2) Hit num lock
    3) the mount will run off the hill automatically on a straight Z axis
    4)???
    5) profit

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 03:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    No I didn't.
    Then you dodged it

You very clearly compared me buying AH mats from bots on the AH to those profiting from deplorable labour conditions which is why I said RL =/= WOW.
    I compared two instances of unscrupulous actions used to lower costs for others. Like I said. Not very difficult.

But if you're so morally outraged by bot, then you probably don't buy anything from the AH at all right?
    Actually, I'm an engineer, so I really have no reason to buy anything off the AH. In fact, I use all of my spirits of harmony to get golden lotus, which I sell on the AH. Which means that BOTTERS would actually HINDER my profits rather than aid them.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-06 at 11:54 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

That's similar to saying someone isn't opposed to deplorable labor conditions in other countries because it makes it cheaper for them to buy electronics.

"Oh gee, you know, I don't like it that they work for pennies on the hour but, god, if I had to shell out an extra 15 bucks for my iPhone..."

I don't believe immoral actions providing some minor benefit excuses said immoral actions.
    Dude it's a game...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Its far more complicated than this. Exponentially so.

If there was an easy solution Blizz would have done it by now. Even if click-to-move was the primary culprit, these bots can still target, execute spell/sequence macros, etc.

And the worst part is, these bot programs evolve and grow more complex right alongside the game, which means Blizz is always fighting an uphill battle. One of their blues compared it to anti-virus stuff... every time the antivirus guys update, the dicks writing the viruses make new ones to get around said update.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Perhaps Blizzard has already considered this but for the time being doesn't feel comfortable with amputating a game feature to improve the rest of the game.

Just so we're clear here - very few bots use click to move - that happens to be an ancient method of botting in WoW. This is stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onomarl View Post
    Dude it's a game...
    And again, I didn't say "it's the same." No where in that post did I say "it's the same," in FACT, the first three words in that post read "that's similar to." Applying the sentiment that immoral actions providing some minor benefit does not excuse immoral actions to both instances I presented.

Yeesh.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

For those of you wondering what kind of program uses click-to-move, try googling "--REMOVED--". It's BY FAR the most popular botting program for WoW atm, and it's code is through and through based on the usage of commands rooted in click-to-move.

(Everytime you see people moving in jerking directions in BGs and only fighting in the middle, it's --REMOVED--.)

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 01:29 AM ----------

I guess another solution could be to remove the "tile" system of the game world all together, as these are what allows bots to navigate in the game world at all...

Infracted. Don't discuss HOW to get a bot
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-01-07 at 01:05 AM.

Deleted
    you dont need click to move for botting.

glider used memory writing, pirox too

15+ Year Old Account
    I described earlier how to "fix" this:

1) start your mount on a hill
    2) Hit num lock
    3) the mount will run off the hill automatically on a straight Z axis
    4)???
    5) profit[COLOR="red"]
    Or use the much simpler and more functional (no lolrequiredstartingpoint) one-click method.

Why would we change that to not even fix a problem again?

Disabling Click-To-Move would be a good idea from a bot standpoint, because even though it won't eliminate the bots, it would seriously cripple them. The bot programs base all of their automated movement on Click-To-Move. Emulating key-presses as someone said above is highly inefficient and inaccurate to automate for an A.I. (example: trying to figure out how long to press "Move Forward" in a dungeon hall, then figuring out how long to press "Turn Left" to take a left turn)

However, I think we underestimate the number of players who use this feature legitimately. I would certainly support since I don't personally use it, but Blizzard as a company has to take into consideration all types of players as well.