Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    no....i dont want obama any longer than alrdy have to deal with him.

Comically this is a waste of time. There is zero chance of it ever passing. The states would have to ratify it and that is not happening, especially with Obama in office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caffeiine View Post
    no....i dont want obama any longer than alrdy have to deal with him.
    Alright.. Name ONE thing where you "have to deal with him", because it's so negative, yet at the same time it is not influenced by the other parties interferences?
    That doesn't exist. Even Obamacare is not what HE initially wanted. It was changed and altered through republican interference and objection until it became basically the same thing as Romneycare in Mas...

hell yeah it should be removed. 20 more years of Obama please <3

You'd have to do more than just remove term limits. As long as there are people that will vote for the Republican candidate because he's not the Democrat, and vice versa, things could get awkward. If you had the chance to vote for multiple candidates from each party it's less of an issue. In other words eliminate the primaries and just let everyone run for president right off the bat. If you were lucky you'd get a shorter election period, less money spent on organising it all and maybe even breaking the two-party system as factions form behind preferred candidates and eventually break away on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    You'd have to do more than just remove term limits. As long as there are people that will vote for the Republican candidate because he's not the Democrat, and vice versa, things could get awkward. If you had the chance to vote for multiple candidates from each party it's less of an issue. In other words eliminate the primaries and just let everyone run for president right off the bat. If you were lucky you'd get a shorter election period, less money spent on organising it all and maybe even breaking the two-party system as factions form behind preferred candidates and eventually break away on their own.
    If they are garbage for two terms there is 0% chance they will win a third term. Any major candidate can guarantee 30% of the vote just because of his party label. The extremists will always either vote for their candidate, or not vote at all. Then they have to woo the 15% of the party thats much more moderate, and then they have to woo the 6-10% of the people in the middle who have no party affiliation to guarantee a win. If a president is shitty they won't get the moderate vote ,and its likely they will lose the votes from the more moderate side of their party.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    I'm not even talking about the legitimacy of Russia's vote count, that's a completely different topic. My comment was in reference to a president being elected for more than two terms.
    It's not really a problem. It actually helps in the Russian case (russian myself) because we dont simply any other real candidates other then Putin and his team in country-scale view. There are some people who are qualified enough to work as a governor and are not part of Putin's team and his party, some already work, but none of them are qualified enough to run for president or create there own political power. Current parties resort to populism and radical things/riots. Basically everyone keeps saying what Putin does wrong but cant submit any reliable solutions to anything. Plus everyone who has a slightest chance of becoming a president already works with Putin or his party in some way.

On topic: In case of a huge economic and political power like US it should be a middleground between not allowing one political power to have control over executive power in the country long enough to use it against it's opponents and providing enough time for a person that runs for the office to fulfil his political agenda. There should definetely be a limit to how much times a person can run for office consecutively and depending on political landscape in the country (some countries have some active internal political struggle and elections pose significant risks for economy, provided they are too frequent) it should be 3 times for 3-4 years.

If you ask me politicans shoulden't be inn a larger party almost. They should be hand-picked, voted one by one. Whoever is fit most for the job yes`?

I mean, it could work right...:P
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    Poor Swazi Spring, his new thread just got closed like his previous attempts.
    Obama is a communist, Democrats are satan, liberals kills the nation *RAWR*
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I doubt very much that the possibility of foul play was large enough to account for the absolutely massive disparity between Putin and the next highest candidate in 2012.
    Yea right, watch and see if this passes if Obama doesn't win in 2016 with something ridiculous like 95% of the vote Ahmadinejad style. He has a media who worships him, an entire generation of young people who think he's a god because MTV and Hollywood is so in love with him...he'd get away with it, don't doubt it for a second.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2013-01-07 at 09:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It being Obama in office, Mitt Romney or Satan himself shouldn't matter. If the majority of your country think someone is a good enough leader to lead for 12 years then they should.

Saying stuff like "more Obama no thanks" is incredibly short sighted. If a great republican leader was in office and was the best president the USA has ever seen... winning a vote of 90% of American on his second term, you are saying you wouldn't want him to be able to run for longer? 0o

Your whole democrat vs republican, democrats are communists that hate American, republicans are god fearing crazy people just makes your country weaker and both sides in presidential elections look like a group of school kids arguing to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-01-07 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Yea right, watch and see if this passes if Obama doesn't win in 2016 with something ridiculous like 95% of the vote Ahmadinejad style. He has a media who worships him, an entire generation of young people who think he's a god because MTV and Hollywood is so in love with him...he'd get away with it, don't doubt it for a second.
    I really doubt it. You're forgetting the other half of the nation that didn't vote for him.

Deleted
    Well as naive as this may sound the real question is if you trully have a functioning democracy.

If you do, limits like this are pointless since noone will force you to elect for a 3rd + term a president thats not good enough.
    If you dont ....well you have more serious shit to fix before this discussion even happens.

In my opinion , for what ever it counts since im not american, the choise of whoever leads should be ONLY on the people and never be regulated in any way and by any measure by a law, ammendment etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    So then why would the majority vote for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...s/d113HR.lst::

http://www.examiner.com/article/pres...es-term-limits

If this gets past Congress, I don't imagine a majorly Democratic Senate would block this. I don't even know what to say.
    they have tried this every year since the end of Reagans 2nd term...you see how well its worked out.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Here's my take.....

Term limit for Presidents ought to be lifted. It's more positive than negative. No horrible President would survive past 2 terms.
    See FDR

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Only 2 term Presidents can go all out.... of course again.... with some limitations regarding re-election of their party next time around,
    2 term presidents will go all out BECAUSE they do not have to worry about re-election. You really think they care about "their party"?

for the people who thought Obamas first 4 were bad, just wait to see what the next 4 bring.

Term limits is what keeps presidents from becoming dictators. That and the fact politicians are not suppose to be career positions.

You guys see how fast US presidents age while in office?

The stress will kill em before the 3rd term is up

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    no they shouldn't...this is actually one of the rare things I think is great about america's politics !

Fuck no, not with the way our political system works. Right now, we don't really vote who we want for President as a people, we vote whether we want a Republican or a Democrat.

i agree with anything that lets me use this video every 4 years O-O

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Fuck no, not with the way our political system works. Right now, we don't really vote who we want for President as a people, we vote whether we want a Republican or a Democrat.
    i.e. We vote for whether we want extreme right or middle right.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"