Deleted

Warrior - Possible without magic?

Hey guys,

i'am thinking about returning to Rift again (after a break of a year). Generally i'm playing a warrior because of the lack of magic, but when i see videos of the warrior gameplay i always recognize either "fire bolts" or - especially in pvp - range warriors with some shiny magical attacks.

Is it actually possible to play a warrior in tank and damage spec without the use of magic? That's a critical point of the whole atmosphere for me. Everything i read about the game sounds good, i like all the features, gameplay etc., but the use of magic on a warrior is a dead end for me. So please tell me i am wrong!

Hm. So you want to tank without skills which are magical. Okay, but what do you define as magical?

All the tank souls for Warrior have some kind of "magical" projectile be the universal taunt of all tank souls or something like Void Knight's Discharge. Most tank AOE's are sorta magical too.

I suppose Paladin would be the least magical of the tank souls. However, Paladins also have healing skills, a "magical" projectile, demi-god self buffs, etc.

If I am reading you correctly then the answer is, no.

No. It is not possible to play a Warrior tank devoid of some type of categorically "magical" abilities.

It depends on where you draw the line.
    Is a self heal cooldown magic? Is a Death Grip magic? Is spreading diseases through the air with projectiles magic?

Think our commentors read too deep into the posting. There is no magic requirement. Just a power bar that goes to 100. So x skill may use 20 power in one GCD. You cannot get intelligence gear and make say a fireball hit harder. Also how do we not know that my guy is not lighting a match on fire and throwing it!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Think our commentors read too deep into the posting. There is no magic requirement. Just a power bar that goes to 100. So x skill may use 20 power in one GCD. You cannot get intelligence gear and make say a fireball hit harder. Also how do we not know that my guy is not lighting a match on fire and throwing it!
    He basically said that seeing firebolts from a warrior ruined his immersion. I don't think anyone was reading into it too much. He clearly wants a warrior that plays without 'magic'. Unfortunately you aren't going to really find any fantasy games that adhere to this entirely. The games are normally built on magical principles.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-01-07 at 05:55 PM.

You'd have to play something like Age of Conan, Dungeons & Dragon Online or Everquest to get 'purely' martial classes aka Warriors. Though even then those warriors/fighters are using some supernatural abilities or they simply wouldn't survive being lit on fire by a dragon.

Kinda saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    He basically said that seeing firebolts from a warrior ruined his immersion. I don't think anyone was reading into it too much. He clearly wants a warrior that plays without 'magic'. Unfortunately you aren't going to really find any fantasy games that adhere to this at all. The games are normally built on magical principles.
    I am trying to think and maybe Cecil from Final Fantasy 2 could be considered a pure warrior who used no magic because he used all physical. In MMO's maybe WoW warriors. Warlord in Rift is a pure physical soul I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Though even then those warriors/fighters are using some supernatural abilities or they simply wouldn't survive being lit on fire by a dragon.

Kinda saying.
    Yeah, that was kinda what I was getting at. Even WoW has a pretty non magical warrior, but it's really hard to take some of the abilities (like shockwave for example) and say it's totally plausible. Not to mention being able to remove movement impairing effects like hamstring, which would completely disable someone in real life. Really all classes by shared mechanics and design are inherently magical/living with and in magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Unfortunately you aren't going to really find any fantasy games that adhere to this at all. The games are normally built on magical principles.
    WoW's Warrior does a good job of keeping the feel of a purely physical class >.> In fact warriors in most fantasy games I've played are the characters who are devoid of magic and specialize in physical strength and weapon mastery.

I think OP is asking whether or not you can build your warrior like that in Rift or if you are forced to used some offensive or defensive magic class like Paladin or Void Knight to be viable (i.e. Champion/Paragon/Reaver/Warlord stuffs)
    Last edited by Lefrog; 2013-01-07 at 06:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In MMO's maybe WoW warriors. Warlord in Rift is a pure physical soul I think.
    I thought so too, but shockwave, aoe fears (built on 'reality' I know), heoic leap is arguably not realistic, not to mention any charges, etc, etc. A game based on a completely non magical warrior would be pretty lame. You wouldn't be capable of much.

Lancers in Tera were pretty non magical from what I remember, but they did have a self heal. It's been so long I can't remember anything else. Their blocking and charging was actually believable.

Here is where the difference with Rift compared to other MMO's comes in. When I say WoW warrior I am talking about one particular archeatype with 3 branches. When I say Rift warrior I am talking about one archeatype with 9+ branches. It would be the equivalent of having a warrior/paladin/deathknight in one character.

It would be the equivalent of having a warrior/paladin/deathknight in one character.
    and a mage to boot

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be the equivalent of having a warrior/paladin/deathknight in one character.
    I know..isn't it dreamy? Lol. Love how souls work in this game. Once I hit 60 I'm going to have a huge dilemma balancing achievements and gearing up with leveling my rogue alt. I don't know what it was about a mage that stuck, but once I went Harbinger I never looked back for leveling.

The rogues just have too many things I like...various hunters and a bard...I'm afraid I'll like that more. Choices, choices!

If you mean you are not required to use souls such as Tempest, Riftblade, and Void Knight for builds, really, you aren't, I am not too familiar with every build for warriors, but for the most part you can make builds without it.

Okay, then the most physical orientated souls available to Warriors are:

* Beast Master
    * Warlord
    * Paragon
    * Champion

The most "magical" being:

* Reaver
    * Void Knight
    * Tempest
    * Riftblade
    * Paladin

Every soul has "magical" abilities to one degree or another, of course.

No viable tank I know of can use Warlord, Beast Master, Paragon and/or Champion exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Every soul has "magical" abilities to one degree or another, of course.
    Which, I think, is to be expected since you are a magical thing brought back to life by magitech or gods and are imbued with like... magicalness.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Which, I think, is to be expected since you are a magical thing brought back to life by magitech or gods and are imbued with like... magicalness.
    Not to mention the magical abilities you have just from being ascended - opening portals to other dimensions, resurrecting yourself and others, using the magical effects of rift consumables, summoning medics from thin air, seeing artifacts from other realities, or benefiting from racial abilities that let you summon wings (elf) or turn into an animal (kelari)... Dunno if any of that counts. SWTOR's non-magical classes were pretty exclusively non-magical

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gonterf View Post
    Not to mention the magical abilities you have just from being ascended - opening portals to other dimensions, resurrecting yourself and others, using the magical effects of rift consumables, summoning medics from thin air, seeing artifacts from other realities, or benefiting from racial abilities that let you summon wings (elf) or turn into an animal (kelari)... Dunno if any of that counts. SWTOR's non-magical classes were pretty exclusively non-magical
    All true, but SWTOR's non magical classes were basically hunters and rogues. They also benefit from taking advantage of 'science' as opposed to 'magic', though science that outdates any preconceived technology could arguably be magic.

Would be nice for the OP to come back, since clarification on whether they are looking for a realistic warrior would be helpful. Since we are unable to find one, there's a chance it doesn't exist. It would be the most gimp class playable if everyone else had magic and science while the lonely warrior was relegated to real world human capabilities.