Alt Warlock starting 5 mans as Affliction. need help!

Hey guys. I have read the guides for playing an Affliction warlock, don't really see anything about what to do in a basic 5 man heroic group. It seems like by the time I dot up a mob, they are dead.. my dps is really bad compared to the others in party. Whats the routine best used? Thanks for the help.

Respec. That's all there is to it. Aff is not a 5-man spec.

Give up on expecting numbers to be good on trash as affliction. This used to bother me, but after I let it go , it became much more enjoyable.

If you want to stay affliction, just showcase your class skill on the bosses and don't worry so much about trash. If people in a random 5 man complain about low affliction DPS to you, ignore them. They're not the sharpest tool in the kit.

You need to soul burn soul swap to all the mobs, or well 3 and then soul burn SoC to spread cor if there are more than those 3. Recuperate you're shards with drain souls.

SB+SoC onto one of the mobs, then SB+SS onto that same mob, then spam SoC on that same mob. Continue until the group is dead, short burst damage is what we do best . DO NOT worry about your dps on trash, theres a reason why it's called trash. If someone in that group says something about your dps on trash, point and laugh at them. This happened while I was in Scarlet Halls not to long ago. I had come in late a little bit before the last boss. A demo lock was talking a big game and while on trash was still talking a big game, he even mentioned something about my dps on trash. I simply stated, "Uh....this is trash bro....also you are demo rofl" more big talk from him. Last boss of Scarlet Halls comes up and normally I don't use doomguard in dungeons but this is a rare occasion to silence a baddie. Before we pull I say "You want deeps bro?" in caps of course and at that moment the shaman in group blows bloodlust and I blow all cd's naturally. I reach a sustained 216k dps on the boss, type out "Look how good I push buttons" and leave. I think he managed to crack 110k on the pull.

Now, any spec will work in any situation. Affliction is perfectly fine for 5 mans, follow the guides on this site for trash just simply do what I mentioned above for 5+ mobs. For groups of 3 just dot up each mob, if the mob dies before you can get dots on it oh well....it's trash. However, if your group is dying on trash and cannot move on through which is almost impossible to do I would probably switch out for demo as it is the highest theoretical aoe dps spec. Again, if someone is complaining about your dps on trash you can immediately write them off as either a troll or a baddie.

In a raid setting for trash as affliction:

SB+SS onto a mob. Put a haunt onto that mob and use SB+SoC onto the same mob. Then spam SoC onto the dotted mob, this is affliction aoe.

The ideal way to aoe 5+ mobs as affliction would be the same as above but before you start to spam seed of corruption you throw out CoA onto all of the other targets affected by your corruption and then retarget your fully dotted mob to start spamming SoC.

For at most 3 mobs, all you want to do is have CoE on all 3 plus all dots and keep haunt up on your focused target, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by PutressFIRST View Post
    SB+SoC onto one of the mobs, then SB+SS onto that same mob, then spam SoC on that same mob. Continue until the group is dead, short burst damage is what we do best . DO NOT worry about your dps on trash, theres a reason why it's called trash. If someone in that group says something about your dps on trash, point and laugh at them. This happened while I was in Scarlet Halls not to long ago. I had come in late a little bit before the last boss. A demo lock was talking a big game and while on trash was still talking a big game, he even mentioned something about my dps on trash. I simply stated, "Uh....this is trash bro....also you are demo rofl" more big talk from him. Last boss of Scarlet Halls comes up and normally I don't use doomguard in dungeons but this is a rare occasion to silence a baddie. Before we pull I say "You want deeps bro?" in caps of course and at that moment the shaman in group blows bloodlust and I blow all cd's naturally. I reach a sustained 216k dps on the boss, type out "Look how good I push buttons" and leave. I think he managed to crack 110k on the pull.

Now, any spec will work in any situation. Affliction is perfectly fine for 5 mans, follow the guides on this site for trash just simply do what I mentioned above for 5+ mobs. For groups of 3 just dot up each mob, if the mob dies before you can get dots on it oh well....it's trash. However, if your group is dying on trash and cannot move on through which is almost impossible to do I would probably switch out for demo as it is the highest theoretical aoe dps spec. Again, if someone is complaining about your dps on trash you can immediately write them off as either a troll or a baddie.

In a raid setting for trash as affliction:

SB+SS onto a mob. Put a haunt onto that mob and use SB+SoC onto the same mob. Then spam SoC onto the dotted mob, this is affliction aoe.

The ideal way to aoe 5+ mobs as affliction would be the same as above but before you start to spam seed of corruption you throw out CoA onto all of the other targets affected by your corruption and then retarget your fully dotted mob to start spamming SoC.

For at most 3 mobs, all you want to do is have CoE on all 3 plus all dots and keep haunt up on your focused target, that's it.
    While i do agree on the way you handle things when someone is talking out of their arse in dungeon runs, i don't share your view on "thrash is thrash" when dungeon runs are concerned. Thrash and bosses are one in the same, things with hp bar which you need to plow through in order to finish the instance. Actually, i would even rate thrash dps importance higher than boss dps in dungeons. There is almost never risk of your party wiping on a boss since mop dungeons are so easy. Taking that in consideration, let's say your group is killing the boss 20sec faster thanks to your extraordinary aff dps when compared to demo. Now, if that same group takes 1min longer to get to the next boss because of your lackluster aff aoe dps when compared to demo, it makes your entire run a lot longer. Saying that, i am a great proponent of "play whatever you like even though it's not optimal", but if you want optimal in lfd, you will run aoe specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fichek View Post
    While i do agree on the way you handle things when someone is talking out of their arse in dungeon runs, i don't share your view on "thrash is thrash" when dungeon runs are concerned. Thrash and bosses are one in the same, things with hp bar which you need to plow through in order to finish the instance. Actually, i would even rate thrash dps importance higher than boss dps in dungeons. There is almost never risk of your party wiping on a boss since mop dungeons are so easy. Taking that in consideration, let's say your group is killing the boss 20sec faster thanks to your extraordinary aff dps when compared to demo. Now, if that same group takes 1min longer to get to the next boss because of your lackluster aff aoe dps when compared to demo, it makes your entire run a lot longer. Saying that, i am a great proponent of "play whatever you like even though it's not optimal", but if you want optimal in lfd, you will run aoe specs.
    Meh, 160k burst aoe damage not much for lackluster that is if the mobs last for 5 seconds or more. Point is in a dungeon do not I repeat do not worry about your dps on trash, this is not a way for you to test your dps as this does not equate to a boss fight. Comparing a boss to trash based on both having hp bars is not effective. Again though, play the spec you like because all 3 are optimal.

all unter 4 mobs
    sb->sw on all targets nuke mg on the one with most hp

all over 5 mobs.
    sb -> soc -> sb -> sw dot rest or go full bomb dps

i run affli wiht my current gear and i do pretty well, on boss 130k+ since they drop dead in unter 1min anyway^^ and for trash the usual 40-90k , yeah we don't hit as hard as a frost dk at trash but meh who cares :P

edit: i would spec demo if i realy wanted max 5man dps, but heck i do it for the 80 points and mostly i'm the best dd with 30%+ (30% gear, 10%skill 5% luck and 100% to remeber the name xD)
    Last edited by darkminaz; 2013-01-08 at 03:44 PM.