Thread: ARCHON Spec

10+ Year Old Account

ARCHON Spec

This is another thread asking for advice but this time it's about Archon Wizards.

So as near as I can tell, the Archon spec relies most heavily on Armor+All Res+Phys Res for survival since you can't stack Lifesteal as a Wizard and Life on Hit seems to proc in kind of a funny way with Channeled spells like the Archon's laser.

Also, for the sake of having higher(much high actually) DPS, I sacked my Tal off hand and Storm Crow helm which has left me with zero APOC. Because of this, I switched out Mistral Breeze with Living Lightening.

Anyways, my questions are, is it worth stacking Life on Hit for the Archon spec, or should I just push for the highest DPS possible and hope my 2.8% LS is enough to keep me alive? Is the proc coefficient high enough with Living Lightening or is it worth losing about 10k DPS to have at least 10 APOC(and some LoH actually) on my Helm making Mistral Breeze usable?

Is Archon Spec viable in higher MPs or do I "have" to eventually use the Critical Mass spec?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/D...8/hero/1824624

That's the Wizard.
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

I'm not really sure, but I THINK Wizards use a CM build, but just use Archon instead of magic weapon, or something like that. I remember seeing a video of an MP10 wizard, using Archon most of the time, and using CM Stun if/when Archon expired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    So a full Archon Spec, focused on Maximum DPS isn't really viable in higher MPs? I've gotta use more of a Hybrid spec?

Bummer, I don't like CM
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Life on hit its crap for Archon and desintegrate for that mater.

Get LS, Crit chance and Crit damage. Even AS isnt that good, well isnt wasted, but if one is on budget and needs to pick a Crit%/CritDamage or Crit%/AS get the former.

And Yeh Archon isnt for high MP its for the early MPs XP/legen farming

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I thought, Life on Hit IS weird for Channeled Spells like the Archon Laser.

Pretty disappointing that it isn't really viable for higher MPs.

Hell, I think I might try it anyway. I am SO bored of Barbarian and Wiz, so far, has been the most fun for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    tried both, archon for farming low Mp's for exp or legendaries. CM is needed for mp10 ubers

Swap to blood magic on your magic wep, leech is nice with high dps

0.3 % leech in inferno from blood magic , not so nice anymore lol

As others have said, archon is about pure speed farming. You're only going to do max of MP5 as archon. If your dmg is around 200k you will be able to just melt mobs. The key is getting your physical resistance up so reflect doesn't crush you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would equate it to whirlwind barb, and because of that, shouldn't you cap out your movement speed to keep the buff up?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I would equate it to whirlwind barb, and because of that, shouldn't you cap out your movement speed to keep the buff up?

Between Zunni bots and Lacuni bracers you're fine. The big thing that I see people fail on is using archon when there is only a few mobs to start so you lose your buff right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am faced with a tough decision currently.

I can't decide on which to buy, an Echoing Fury or a Butcher's Sickle.

Echoing Fury has the +.2X Attacks Per Second & Crit Damage(Or LS but I think I'd take the CD) and the Sickle has Lifesteal + Crit Damage.

Now here's why I am struggling: If I go with the Echoing Fury, I'd have to swap out Force Weapon for Blood Magic. Now would that be a DPS loss even with the +.2X Attacks Per second?

Basically the choice is between +.2X Attacks Per Second or +15% Damage.

D:

EDIT:

Okay actually it's a little more complicated than that. It's a choice between these three options:

+.2X APS, LS, Force Weapon

+.2X APS, CD, Blood Magic

or

CD, LS, Force Weapon

....arghhh
    Last edited by Dave131; 2013-01-07 at 10:58 PM.

Echoing Fury its overrated imo, the fear its more annoying than anything. For CM and Archon what you want is mobs grouped.

I went for a Sword(1.40) yellow black damage CritDam/socket/LS/intellect for my Archon farming. for MP10 Ubers got the chantodo with high Attacks per sec

Also Force weapon isnt 15% its 5% on top of the 10% base damage from Magic Weapons, I use blood magic all the time

10+ Year Old Account
    Hijacking this thread. Sorry for that Got back after half year. I have 50k damage atm.

My spec atm is Arcane missile ( with aiming ), Venom Hydra, Diamond armor, Blizzard, Archon and wep enchantment.

I got some gear since I got back but sometimes I felt myself a bit squishy still. Altough DIAMOND armor helps sometimes but for solo game I dont feel I am surviving much.

Can someone help me to spec for Public Games ( strong aoe DPS spec ). And for Solo gaming?

Thanks Vash.
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Echoing Fury its overrated imo, the fear its more annoying than anything. For CM and Archon what you want is mobs grouped.

I went for a Sword(1.40) yellow black damage CritDam/socket/LS/intellect for my Archon farming. for MP10 Ubers got the chantodo with high Attacks per sec

Also Force weapon isnt 15% its 5% on top of the 10% base damage from Magic Weapons, I use blood magic all the time
    Wow. So this whole time I have been misreading the tooltip on Force Weapon. Only gives 5% more damage. THAT helps me with this decision immensely. Thanks, man.

Dont overlook the 2% chance to knockback , not sure why they even added that. 2% on a low proc co-eff? LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the knock back is lame.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vashi View Post
    Hijacking this thread. Sorry for that Got back after half year. I have 50k damage atm.

My spec atm is Arcane missile ( with aiming ), Venom Hydra, Diamond armor, Blizzard, Archon and wep enchantment.

I got some gear since I got back but sometimes I felt myself a bit squishy still. Altough DIAMOND armor helps sometimes but for solo game I dont feel I am surviving much.

Can someone help me to spec for Public Games ( strong aoe DPS spec ). And for Solo gaming?

Thanks Vash.
    For farming low MPs, just use my spec which is shown in the link in the first post at the top though you might wanna swap Force Weapon for Blood Magic

For high MPs, you're gonna have to use Critical Mass, apparently. If ya go on Youtube and type in, "Budget CM" a guide will come up.

Also, if you feel "squishy" you need to stack more defensive stats like All Res, Physical Res, Life on Hit/Lifesteal, Armor, and Vitality.

The spec you're using currently reflects more of a kiting play style though, in which case you don't really need as many defensive stats, but I'd suggest getting the full +25% to run speed so you can kite more effectively.