Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

To those wrongfully banned in the 30,000 lot recently for exploiting

Many people were taking advantage of a disconnect rollback bug that allowed you to dupe items and bypass crafting timers and cooldowns.

All you needed to do was mill a stack of herbs and vendor it and you'd be DCed (not going into details how). Many people like me, just DCed themself, or was told by a friend to try it for fun to DC themselves, or literally was jsut curious if you COULD disconnect yourself. Many people had no intention of duping, or malicious intent, or exploiting the economy or it's server.

These people including the dupers were given permanent account closures the other night on Monday evening including me. I appealed it TWICE and both times I was rejected and go no for an answer. They said if i replied again my account would get no response. I am a day 1 wow account holder and never been unsubbed in years. I've also never exploited or been banned for anything like this.

I do take full responsibility for disconnecting myself out of curiosity and don't condone major exploiting.

I basically gave up, blizzard didn't care. it was a blanket ban. I started a new account, and began leveling again. I woke up this morning and checked my wow account and found it to be unbanned and am currently playing. I was given no email as to why, or how.

For those who are banned who never meant anything, or simply DCed a friend or themself, their is still hope.

I wouldn't have bought another account after being treated that way.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I wouldn't believe every sob story you hear.

Deleted
    So... you're saying that despite not condoning exploiting, you exploited, then tried to get unbanned for it? Also, why does you playing from day one make any difference whatsoever? Did you expect them to be more lenient on you?

That's good to hear, mostly. The ban probably hit people who either hadn't meant to exploit, or had cheated just a leeeetle bit (I put you in the second camp, despite your protestations). A bug can be tempting to exploit- I got a temp ban for a hilarious time when the 1st boss of Ulduar would reset really slow. Once the other two big guilds on server had done it, it was very easy to justify to ourselves.

An economic exploit has pretty dire consequences on the game world- it affects more than just a few people than an instance exploit, and much more importantly, is far harder to roll back, so I can see why they made such a huge deal of it. That being said, it seems like overkill to permabad people who have exploited up a couple hundred gold worth just to see if they could, especially given the mechanized exploiters who were actually responsible for most of the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    So... you're saying that despite not condoning exploiting, you exploited, then tried to get unbanned for it? Also, why does you playing from day one make any difference whatsoever? Did you expect them to be more lenient on you?

I didn't exploit disconnecting myself to dupe or gain advantages in any form. I simply milled a stack of herbs and sold it to the vendor and it DCs you. I logged back in and played as normal. I was like "well thats cool" and that was it. Theres a huge difference between a game bug and someone exploiting.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Why not? Don't you want to give money to companies that action cheaters?

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Are you saying that a perma ban for DCing yourself with a bugged herb is reasonable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Exploiting, major or otherwise, is exploiting. Doing it for fun or because you're curious doesn't make it something else.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsight View Post
    Are you saying that a perma ban for DCing yourself with a bugged herb is reasonable?
    Are you saying you believe the OP even though their story reeks of the usual 'I was caught exploiting now I'm going to try and cover my tracks' bullshit most everyone seems to pull when they are caught?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Are you saying you believe the OP even though their story reeks of the usual 'I was caught exploiting now I'm going to try and cover my tracks' bullshit most everyone seems to pull when they are caught?

Well yes, I was unbanned. I highly doubt i'd be unbanned if i made thousands of gold on duping darkmoon cards and decks...

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    What you don't understand is how this exploit worked, which I do now, and yes, MANY people were banned for simply DCing themself. Of course, if you dupe darkmoon cards (which the majority in fact did), you deserve a perma ban. But DCing yourself with a bugged herb? That's absurd. This is a bug that could happen by mistake, and after years of WoW playing, you are going to experience some bugs by mistake, should you be banned then?

Deleted
    I love how every time someone gets banned and posts here about it, they always have to include "I've played for XX amount of time, they shouldnt ban ME!"

You took part in the exploit end of story. Whether you intended to dupe or not is far from the point. In england you can face years in prison for carrying a knife and telling the judge you didnt intend to use it will not get you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    Many people were taking advantage of a disconnect rollback bug that allowed you to dupe items and bypass crafting timers and cooldowns.

All you needed to do was mill a stack of herbs and vendor it and you'd be DCed (not going into details how). Many people like me, just DCed themself, or was told by a friend to try it for fun to DC themselves, or literally was jsut curious if you COULD disconnect yourself. Many people had no intention of duping, or malicious intent, or exploiting the economy or it's server.

These people including the dupers were given permanent account closures the other night on Monday evening including me. I appealed it TWICE and both times I was rejected and go no for an answer. They said if i replied again my account would get no response. I am a day 1 wow account holder and never been unsubbed in years. I've also never exploited or been banned for anything like this.

I do take full responsibility for disconnecting myself out of curiosity and don't condone major exploiting.

I basically gave up, blizzard didn't care. it was a blanket ban. I started a new account, and began leveling again. I woke up this morning and checked my wow account and found it to be unbanned and am currently playing. I was given no email as to why, or how.

For those who are banned who never meant anything, or simply DCed a friend or themself, their is still hope.
    So basically you knew it was an exploit and "just wanted to try it." You deserve the ban.

Yeah, the OP obviously tried to lie to us about exploiting and getting banned and then unbanned. Thats what i'd do.

Wait, no. That doesn't sound like something anyone would do.

I say we trust what he says, so what if he is on the internet. Its not like he wins anything if we believe or don't.

Did you buy a new account or did you do a starter thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tadin View Post
    Yeah, the OP obviously tried to lie to us about exploiting and getting banned and then unbanned. Thats what i'd do.

Wait, no. That doesn't sound like something anyone would do.

I say we trust what he says, so what if he is on the internet. Its not like he wins anything if we believe or don't.

Did you buy a new account or did you do a starter thingy?

I simply scroll of ressurected an old account I had and began leveling. Simply tried to login this morning and i was unbanned

That's like saying you smoked pot but didn't inhale.

Might have worked for slick willie, but in reality you still smoked pot and in all probability actually inhaled and enjoyed it (and did it a few times after that as well)

*not actually commenting on legality of pot*
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsight View Post
    It was an exploit, while the intent may not have been to exploit the action was the same and would look the same in logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Exploiting, major or otherwise, is exploiting. Doing it for fun or because you're curious doesn't make it something else.
    Oh, I see the mod is going to be a white knight. First you have to define "Exploiting", do you agree with the ban that Ensidia got on their LK normal kill? Apparantly they exploited, but anyone with a common sense would see that was something which happened by mistake and they didn't know. This is a bug that also could happen by mistake.

In fact, people who were the trade target of the bugged herb also got banned. Did they also deserve that mister white knight?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post

Keep writing them e-mails! in the end you will get in touch with someone who cares... I had trouble with blizz, 6 e-mails "thrown" aside / ignored. but nr. 7 Person to reply was helpful and nice
    So after 7 e-mails i struck a nice person.

Just be persistent.